No announcement yet.

Cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't know when the valve clearances were last checked or adjusted, you should check them simply because it's basic maintenance.
    If the valves are within spec, then I suspect your pilot circuit isn't supplying enough fuel.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hello everyone, update on the situation: I installed the electronic ignition not for the starting problem but to improve the bike. However, I eliminated the problem by installing the new ignition: coils, high voltage wires, spark plug caps, points and condensers. However, the ignition problem remains and, therefore, the problem is limited to restoring the valves or fuel tap. I proceed in small steps.

Comment

You eliminated the problem but the problem remains?

Adjust the valves already for chrissakes.

Almost all of my carbureted 4cyl bikes will start up missing on a cylinder or two if the bike has sat long enough for fuel to evaporate from the bowls and I don't let them prime enough by setting the petcock to "prime."
        Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
        Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Originally posted by gtem View Post
          You eliminated the problem but the problem remains?
          Me 2...?

Yeah, he don't talk (type?) no good English.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Filipo, you wasted time and money at the shop syncing the carbs before first verifying and adjusting, if necessary, your valve clearances. Just do it.

Rob, I guarantee Filipo’s English is way better than your Italian.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Rich, Rob just admitted, in another thread, quote; "I don't speak or read Tennessese very well". Thinking there ain't much difference in his Italian and his spelling... Yep, "check the valves", if all are god, that ain't the problem, If any are out of spec. they need adj... A tight valve "can" cause cold start problems, before it causes a burnt a valve. BTDT.
              Last edited by rphillips; 10-17-2023, 05:43 PM.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Yep, "check the valves", if all are god... BTDT.
                Valves are false gods. At least here in Noo York.

BTDT? Bite that darn 'mammary'?

Chow!
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                X