Buyers guide for an 83 gs1100e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buyers guide for an 83 gs1100e?

Hi I'm Adam, I'm driving up to look at 83 GS1100E this week, I've always wanted one and this one looks great in pictures.

I've owned two yamaha XS1100 specials, an FJ1200, and V65 Magna, and I do all my own wrenching on them, from transmission repair to electrical to cosmetics, so I'm pretty decent at checking out the general mechanicals and electronics of any bike.

I was hoping you all could guide me in what problems to look for that are specifically related to this bike. And also, how do I tell that I truly have an 83 frame and an 83 motor? I know the 83s got the black painted motor, so how do I tell its not an 82 motor painted black?

Tha k you for your time

Do you have any photos you can share?
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Date of manufacture will be on the top of the label on the head stock. Late 82 would indicate an ‘83 but not sure on the month. On the bottom right of the label should be the model including the last character which is the year code. Z=‘82, D=‘83.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

What he said ^^^

'83s had black forks, black motor, black carbs, different wheels, different rear sets, 140mph speedo (85mph on the '82s)....

Comment

And black chrome exhaust, if you're lucky & it is orig.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes, we need pics and numbers ($), but you are talking about what is arguably the height of air cooled superbikedom. In it's day (and a few years before), it was the quickest, fastest and best handling superbike in mass production.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If it's the one in Bothell, that looks like a good deal Nice bike with stock exhaust included
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Here are some photos. The frame bike and its title I believe are an 83 according to the VIN, but the owner thinks this engine has been repainted, and its my first time looking at a GS1100E closely like this, so I cant tell if the engine is an 83 or a painted 82.

Comment

It runs well, he said the carbs have been rebuilt and thats why the paint is gone on them. It has a few stumbling issues in lower to mid rpm but idles ok and mid to WOT no issues

Comment

I guess there was no provision in the battery he installed to accommodate the battery warning light, so it just stays on all the time, and he covered it with tape. Its a really cool bike, ran through all the gears well. The cover or the tank may have been painted at one point as well. The tires appear to be in decent shape, but the front is getting really old, almost 10 years.

Mainly I just want to make sure Im getting the 83 engine, and if there is a way to confirm that Im going to make him an offer.

Comment

Originally posted by adam83 View Post
                      I guess there was no provision in the battery he installed to accommodate the battery warning light, so it just stays on all the time, and he covered it with tape. Its a really cool bike, ran through all the gears well. The cover or the tank may have been painted at one point as well. The tires appear to be in decent shape, but the front is getting really old, almost 10 years.

Mainly I just want to make sure Im getting the 83 engine, and if there is a way to confirm that Im going to make him an offer.
                      Looks legit to me. Looks like original paint on the engine. Wheels, speedo, rear sets, etc., all look correct.
                      And even the seat is in decent shape. Oil cooler, SS brake lines, good additions.

Looks better than mine, that's for sure. Yes, new tires are always a good idea on an old bike. Nice find.

Comment

A lot of the time when as engine is repainted or covers are ceramic coated they don't take the time to tape off the engine fins or the end of the valve covers.
                        Agreed, it looks legit to me. Buy it!
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I would really recommend getting the best tires you can find for one of these beasts. Tires and brakes are 2 must haves for any liter-bike. Speaking of which, I would also recommend new pads for the front brakes, the ones in there appear to be worn, and modern brake pads make a huge difference to your braking power.
                          Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                          1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                          1981 GS1100E

Comment

Hard to imagine anyone would even question "83" or "82" eng. I think only difference, that would matter, was big end or small end crankshaft. If you find it was an "82" there is still a 50/50 chance of big end or small end as it changed mid year "82'. If it's not an "83" the "80" "81", & early "82"'s are the same (I think). The EX. cam changed for "83", possibly changed when the crank changed in mid yr. "82"....Only question should be the crankshaft & no way to know without looking inside the eng...Pleas someone correct me if inaccurate info.
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Jump on it don't wait or someone else will. 82 or 83 would make little dif. to me. I have an 82 that I bout as a basket case and love it.
                              Jerry
                              1981 GS650E
                              1982 GS1100E
                              2018 Can AM Spyder
                              1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Working...
                              X