Woes of selling things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woes of selling things...

Just wanted to gripe for a min. I'm trying to sell my project 81 850 and basket case 750.

I've had 2 people ask me to rebuild the starter so they can do a compression test on the 850, so they can make sure they "aren't getting screwed". Now maybe I'm just an old grump so correct me if I'm wrong, but a 41 year old machine that is non-running and is listed as a project in the ad and has an asking price of $500OBO is just a machine you buy if you want it and deal with the stuff that's broken. It ain't a brand new machine yet I get the impression these people expect it to be. It's 41 years old, and is under $1,000, and is complete. If it were me, I'd decide if I want it or not, show up with a trailer and make an offer and leave because I understand that even if compression is good, there's a whole bunch of other work needed anyways and it's a PROJECT... In fact, that's exactly what I did when I purchased both.

Am I just a grump???
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

I’d sure want to know if I was buying a bike with a seized engine or not, regardless of price. Compression numbers would be extra assurance. Might be just what you need to get a tire kicker to bite. Then again, I’ve never bought or sold a used motorcycle.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

You can turn the motor over with the nut at the ignition cover
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

All they have to do is connect their own compression tester and push the bike in gear for a few yards.
        Not exactly rockety science.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

As to whether you are a grump or not i can't say but those tire kickers should be kicked to the curb.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            I’d sure want to know if I was buying a bike with a seized engine or not, regardless of price. Compression numbers would be extra assurance. Might be just what you need to get a tire kicker to bite. Then again, I’ve never bought or sold a used motorcycle.
            well yeah, I'd like to know if it's stuck as well. But it's clearly not stuck and you don't need a compression test to determine that. Maybe I am a grump? I just figure an old machine like this is gonna get torn down eventually anyways so if it's cheap I don't worry too much about it.
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Just trying to look at it from buyer's POV. I don't think you're a grump. But you are trying to sell something. If the only people that will consider giving you money for the bike want to see compression numbers first, maybe consider it if it's doesn't put you out too much. I never heard of Grimly's idea, but makes sense "All they have to do is connect their own compression tester and push the bike in gear for a few yards." Rebuilding the starter would be out of the question, for me, if I were the seller.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Skip rebuilding…..just get a used eBay starter and swap it in…easy on 850 IIRC. ….and up the price to compensate for your trouble.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If I was selling something at what I considered to be at or near giveaway price, I'm not going out of my way to make repairs for a tirekicker.
                  When I looked at my 1150, I went in knowing that it had sat for 12 years. I brought a battery along, dropped it, in and made sure it cranked and didn't make any awful sounds.

Selling things online definitely gets ridiculous at times.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    If I was selling something at what I considered to be at or near giveaway price, I'm not going out of my way to make repairs for a tirekicker.
                    When I looked at my 1150, I went in knowing that it had sat for 12 years. I brought a battery along, dropped it, in and made sure it cranked and didn't make any awful sounds.

Selling things online definitely gets ridiculous at times.
                    Precisely my point.

The biggest reason I'm trying to get rid of them is because of the space they take up, and the fact that I'll probably never get around to them.

Maybe I'd have better luck parting them out?

Comment

You're selling them because you don't want to have to deal with them right? rebuilding the starter is sort of dealing with it, no? I'd say no on rebuilding the starter for them. Just let 'em make an offer as they sit and decide if you'll take it.
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

When I bought my 1979 1000 it wouldn't turn over. I figured the starter was piled up and took the chance, Price? $500.
                        New bikes cost a bit more than $500 if that's what you want.
                        1986 1150EF
                        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                          You're selling them because you don't want to have to deal with them right? rebuilding the starter is sort of dealing with it, no? I'd say no on rebuilding the starter for them. Just let 'em make an offer as they sit and decide if you'll take it.
                          Exactly what I'm trying to do. Like I said before, I'd take a low baller as long as he shows up and hauls it off no questions asked. But these guys want to waste everyone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block View Post
                            When I bought my 1979 1000 it wouldn't turn over. I figured the starter was piled up and took the chance, Price? $500.
                            New bikes cost a bit more than $500 if that's what you want.
                            Exactly. These guys want a new bike, or at least a turn key running old bike for $500. Ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              You can turn the motor over with the nut at the ignition cover
                              That's what I'd do for them or tell them to do- Take the plugs out and use a drill attached to a socket. I don't blame them for asking...

Comment

Working...
                              X