update on my 1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

update on my 1100GK

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

(still havent figured out where to start - what to say )

(give me a while....)
    Last edited by Redman; 06-03-2022, 10:19 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You may know that I have had this GK since 2005, and have had GS-Gs contniously since 1982, total of three (650G, 850G and this GK).
      And feel so good about how I cleaned up and upgraded this GK, and how much I like it and how much I like it is all stock.

(give me longer....)

Comment

Sounds like a keeper.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

And you may know how in recent 6 - 7 years I have had to make some repairs, above my expereince/capabilitys, but did it with the help of some fine folks here. One such project was the secondary drive Zook Repair about 4-5 years ago, by a fine GSR member (no longer active). For which I am quite thankfull. Without that, the bike would have been sold or parted out.
          Other project was steering head bearing where fine member loaned/lent hand made tools.

ANd 2020, after finding pistons helping the valves close, and low compresion and oil useage, I started an engine overhaul. Replaced head and pistons and rings. Local motorsport shop measures cylinders to be in spec, and gave a light hone. Got pistons from a fine member here (Thanks Again), and sent replacement head (and cams and new valve seals) to another fine member here to replace seals, lap valves and such. (and then I had a health problem.... and.... and.. and.....and...)
          Got it back together in November 2021 (First pic above).
          Had a bit of oil burn at first, can see the puff and smell it, but maybe expect that "untill rings seat in". That subsided over a few hundered miles.
          And an expecting the oil burn to get better.
          Meantime, with stronger engine, noticed clutch is slipping, so replaced clutch plates and springs, Oh, so much better. (pics of 2nd post)

My point is to say how much I have put into this bike over the years (although I cant claim it myself).
          And how much I was expecting it to be good now for the next few years......
          ANd how much I like this bike. . . . .

Expecting oil burn to get better,
          But no.
          Recently is getting worse, can smell it, can see it out one pipe, and in sunshine can look back down the road and see the trail of smoke. Is embarasing.
          ANd now I realise it is worse after bike sits for several days.
          Sign of valve seal . . or valve guide . . crap. . . that aint gonna get better . . .
          Cant ride this on long trip, is getting worse.
          Is too embarasing to ride around here.

Am too frustrated and depressed to figure out what options, let alone decide what to do......

Was expecting to enjoy this bike for as many more years as I am physically able to ride it.

Hey, its just a bike.
          No its NOT.

Last edited by Redman; 06-03-2022, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Well, that's frustrating about the oil / smoke. The good news is that being that you have another bike(s), you have time to mull over the situation . Your GK is a beautifully kept ride, and a fixture on this site. Plus if I recall, weren't you invited to park under a Suzuki tent at some event?
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Sounds like you need some expert to examine the bike with you.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Hey Dave

I am so sorry to read about this after all your hard work - and yes, it was YOUR hard work, together with support from GSR members, that got your beloved GK back on the road again.

So hang in there, you will again receive support from GSR members, but you will swing the spanners and do whatever is needed to get this great bike back into tip-top condition.

(PS: Remember how you got that small 2-stroke Walbro carb humming again many years ago?)
                1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Oh how I can relate on so many levels. I am going through some crazy stuff with my 1000 right now that I think at some point I should just cut my losses and move on, but like you, I like the bike too much to do that.

So my advice to you is to just keep on keeping on with it and hopefully all things will work out for the best.

P.S. if only I had a small amount of the electrical knowledge that you possess, my troubles would be solved.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Redman! I can understand your frustration, especially after all that work. I have been there before as well. Finally complete a large project/overhaul and fire it up for the first time only to discover it didn't go as well as it should have.

I understand you have a substantial financial and time investment into this GK which makes these situations especially difficult. However, fortunately, you have a great group here full of knowledge and moral support. And most of all, it is just an engine that can certainly be fixed again. Yes it'll take more time and money, and maybe more frustration finding the root cause, but it is fixable, guaranteed. And if the money and time doesn't bother you, once you get a clear mind again it'll just become more old bike tinkering.

Don't loose hope. Maybe ride the other bikes this season and park the GK for something to do this winter.

I'd still like to ride over to you this season to hangout and hook my peepers on that GK beauty.

Don't loose hope! You can do it!
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Thanks for comments.

yah, Buffalo Bill, could use some expert evaluation. Maybe, like, ah, like someone that rebuilds engines for track bikes……..

yah, 93B, make a trip over to this side of state sometime.

yep, Ben, Larr, Dork, I need to calm down, and then….. proceed.

But, overall, I don’t have bikes so I can work on them, that is not the reason for having the bike.

thanks for comments
                      Last edited by Redman; 06-04-2022, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I have calmed down some.

Now notice that the smoking is after has sat for about a week (during clutch project) and then subsided after several miles.
                        day to day use it is not bad.

will report more when I have better understanding.

Comment

Aside from a dash of possible embarrassment, let's compare the cost of a teardown & rebuild to that of an occasional quart of oil and maybe, maybe a fouled plug now and then. That GK should have plenty of grunt to keep you grinning, with some to spare, even if it's not 100%.

My vote: Wait until the problem becomes near-catastrophic -- and that could be years.
                          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                          __________________________________________________ ______________________
                          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I'm have a similar situation, I have a 82 GS1100GK that is the best bike I've ever owned, but now it has an engine noise that has only gotten worse as I put the miles on her. I have parked it for now waiting until I can get a mechanic to take a look. I can't let this bike go, It's a better ride than my other bike which is an R1100RT.

Comment

Well, if it IS the valve seals, they can be swapped without removing the head. Fill the cylinder with rope to hold the valves up while the springs are out. You'll need to rig something to compress the springs safely, and the old seals can be very stubborn to remove. I have heard of valve guides being broken, but I think that would require a "special" effort. I mention it only so you know to prepare for how ornery hardened and shriveled seals are.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X