No announcement yet.

update on my 1100GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear Bwringer's garage is kind of well equipped....

Always nice to have a 2nd pair of hands, makes it more fun too.

Nessism has been my bastion of mechanical support for bikes for over a dozen years now.... I've learnt a lot from here and a lot from him...

Good luck Dave!
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Mr. Dave, I don't mean to reopen a healing wound by asking, but have you investigated any further into the oil burning issue? Has it subsided or have you decided not to worry about it? I ask because you've been riding it fairly often recently, according to your posts, but I don't recall you mentioning the oil consumption. Either way, glad to see you enjoying the bike!
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
        . . . . . . . . . . . ., but have you investigated any further into the oil burning issue? . . . . . . .
        It sat untouched most of June (after BC), and July, August and part of Sept due to charging issues (and garage being hot and humid).
        Replaced stator and installed SH775 in September, and, as you noted, been riding it since,

As far as oil burning: Yah, since rebuilding engine (over last year and prior year) with a used head, used pistons and new rings, it now smokes on startup if sits unused for a couple days, smokes more if sits more than a few days. I understand that indicates problems with valve seals and/or valve guides. WHen the head was rebuilt (a used head I bought), I had the valve seals replaced (OEM), and the valves lapped, but the shop that did that, said a couple valve guides broke during the work and had to be replaced.

Other than smoking on startup (only if sat for a few days), it is running well.

WHen I first got it back together and running (late fall 2021) and it was smoking bad (after sitting for months), I was quite annoyed and discouraged. Thank you for your concern.
        Am more positive now.

Had a good, but short, ride this afternoon.

>>Later note: Maybe (in 2020) I should have followed the advise of some of the fine folks here, and rather than trying to rebuild an 80K mile engine, replace it with a lower mileage engine.
        Last edited by Redman; 10-11-2022, 09:50 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That's good to hear! In my opinion, a little smoke on start up isn't much to worry about. Sounds like the smoking during riding has subsided which is good! Glad you're more positive now
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
          - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Park it on the center or side stand? I use a brick under the side (have no center), two bricks before I replaced fork springs.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Park it on the center or side stand? I. . . . . . . . . .s.
              Smokes either way (if sits for several days). Dont know if its worse or better one way or other.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Smokes either way (if sits for several days). Dont know if its worse or better one way or other.
                Could it be valve seals?
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

You ride that heavy boat on the sand? Damn, you seem near as crazy as me!
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post

Could it be valve seals?
                    maybe, or valve quides

///////QUOTE
                    I had the valve seals replaced (OEM), and the valves lapped, but the shop that did that, said a couple valve guides broke during the work and had to be replaced.
                    ///////EndQUOTE

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      You ride that heavy boat on the sand? Damn, you seem near as crazy as me!
                      Yes ..... and No .

Yes, Sand there was 2 inches or little more deep.
                      But no, not on the beach. THat is near the edge of parking lot, with sand blown onto parking lot. Posed pic purposly to have that appearance.

Just that two inches of soft sand is a problem. Was sand there in that corner of the parking lot, and was also sand elsewhere in parking lot and the enterance from the road. SOmetimes is sand in the road too there by the beach. City scoops it up on almost daily basis if has been windy.

Comment

Hey - I don't care what bike it is. A handful of sand, a few grains, the mere suggestion of sand on the road (in a curve) could spell disaster. D I S S...

Comment

Working...
                        X