1982 GS550 stator problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550 stator problem

Alternator not charging. Ohms between the wires reads fine and matches the readings from my other gs550 which charges fine. Also no continuity to the stator base. Measuring the ac voltage between each two wires only gets to 6 volts at 3000rpm but on my other working bike it gets to 50 volts at 3000rpm . So I removed stator. It’s very black, I tried uploading photo but it says file size too big. I know from reading stuff on the internet it is common for them to bake and fail. But from a scientific point of view what has actually gone wrong ? If the ohms still read right. I accept that I need to buy one but I just want to understand why it doesn’t work if ohm testing seems fine. I don’t think it’s original stator as it has three grey wires. Another query, the rotor has 12 magnets in it. As far as I can see the 18 pole stator (like mine) uses a 12 magnet rotor and the 12 pole stator uses an eight magnet rotor. Is that right? (It did let me upload pic of rotor). Please let me know , thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Just a reminder - best to update R/R also.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks, actually that was another query in my mind. Can the rectifier/regulator combined unit affect the lifespan of the stator? So in addition to the questions in my first post I welcome any comments on that.

Comment

The first link in my signature takes you to our favorite place filled with knowledge, manuals and wiring diagrams. The second 2 links in my signature are there to set you on your way to changing system health. The 4th is there to aid better picture posting too. The top 10 list is a great read for new members and a good place to return to every time I don’t understand something on my bike. The last link in a tragic story with a happy ending.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks for the links. I have now realised there is a separate section for electrical, so I have moved it there. Newbie mistake by me in how the forum works.

Comment

Originally posted by Isetta View Post
            Thanks, actually that was another query in my mind. Can the rectifier/regulator combined unit affect the lifespan of the stator?
            VERY much so......

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
            X