1979 gs550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs550e

I brought this GS550E for $300. It hasn't ran in a while but it's got good bones and hasn't been messed with. First reaction is that it's an L model but the VIN stamping and tag say that's an E.
    Attached Files

The VIN stamping.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's got all the L bits on it. If it left the factory as an E, somebody's gone to a lot of trouble to change it to an L.
      Of course, over the years anything might have happened. Perhaps it was totalled badly and the L bits were free.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Looking at the the fasteners, the heads are unblemished and everything fits up as untouched. The signals and tail light bracket are bent up, I believe from the bike being tossed around as it sat unused for years.
        It could be that the start of the L models in 1979 was hastened at the factory and the E frames were used. Since it was built before the modern VIN numbering system, anything could fly back then. They could have ran out of L tags and used the E ones instead. I guess that makes the bike kind of unique.
        My plan is to make it more sportier like the E without chopping it up or hacking it, just some lower bars, seat flattening.

Comment

Working...
        X