No announcement yet.

Replace a G tank or seat to an L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16" rear wheel, different rake caused by longer forks, is the axle in front of, in line with, or behind the lower fork legs? This offset has to do with steering geometry. These bikes do not handle the same. Their frame geometry is different. I've sold many of these bikes, riding the "L" models next to the standard, and could not ever fathom owning a "L" series Suzuki. It's more than looks that keep their prices depressed. Also, you'll never get a standard tank and seat onto a "L" model. You'll come to despise the bike, then motorcycles in general. The engines are fine, That's about it. Just trying to keep it real. We took in the minimum required by Suzuki on those bikes because we couldn't give them away. I put flat bars with 4" risers on many of those bikes. You had to change out the throttle and clutch cables. They were too long. You sometimes get away with the brake hoses with careful rerouting of them. We would take off the awful sissy bar, and that gave the bike a more civilized look, but still, the die hard bikers know you're trying to pass. If you just drive straight up and never lean, it may not be an issue, and the cosmetics I pointed out will make the bike feel tighter as the handlebars will be stiffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
      16" rear wheel, different rake caused by longer forks, is the axle in front of, in line with, or behind the lower fork legs? This offset has to do with steering geometry. These bikes do not handle the same. Their frame geometry is different. I've sold many of these bikes, riding the "L" models next to the standard, and could not ever fathom owning a "L" series Suzuki. It's more than looks that keep their prices depressed. Also, you'll never get a standard tank and seat onto a "L" model. You'll come to despise the bike, then motorcycles in general. The engines are fine, That's about it. Just trying to keep it real. We took in the minimum required by Suzuki on those bikes because we couldn't give them away. I put flat bars with 4" risers on many of those bikes. You had to change out the throttle and clutch cables. They were too long. You sometimes get away with the brake hoses with careful rerouting of them. We would take off the awful sissy bar, and that gave the bike a more civilized look, but still, the die hard bikers know you're trying to pass. If you just drive straight up and never lean, it may not be an issue, and the cosmetics I pointed out will make the bike feel tighter as the handlebars will be stiffer.
      Interesting to compare that with bwringer's post #10.

Most Ls did have 16" wheels, but not all. The '80 850GL and 1000GL both had 17" rears.

Yes, the forks were a bit longer, but the distance from the axle to the top was identical, so there was no meaningful difference.

No Suzuki left the factory with the axle behind the forks. And, on the bikes with leading axles, the triples were offset toward the back, leaving the axle in exactly the same place. Same rake, same trail, same wheelbase.

Just for the record, the '80 and '81 1100E and 750E came with leading-axle forks. There were no complaints about how they handled.

The two bikes (L and non-L) DO handle remarkably similarly. It's just the awful ergonomics of the Ls that makes them feel so different.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

The axle position has to do with the diameter of the front tire(rim) and the offset from that centerline to the centerline of the steering stem. The bigger the offset, the more likely the bigger the front wheel. Look it up. Many websites explain this. I used to design bicycles and trikes from scratch and had to learn all that crap.

Comment

My first bike was a GS850GL but before I sold it, I bought a GS850G and got to compare the two. With proper handlebars, the L and the G handle _almost_ the same. The main difference is that the L seat is slightly lower which gives the bike+rider combo a lower center of gravity, something I actually preferred. I used to ride that L model much more aggressively than I ride the G. Partly because the L model was in fine mechanical condition but _looked_ like an old worn-out bike. Rusty chrome, poor paint, ripped seat, etc. It's nice to have a looker now and I'm sure the G's limits are far beyond my riding skills, but I am just not as comfortable pushing it as I was the L.

When I get a bigger garage someday, I need to find another bike or two that I can just hoon around on without worrying too much.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

A few years back I picked up an 82 GS550L cheap and converted it to a GS550T model cosmetically: side covers, fenders, seat ( with a few mods). It looked great but rode like crap ... I put a set handle bars on it that were a wee bit wider than the stock GS550T bars ... it steered uncomfortable or awkwardly. I attributed the poor steering/handling to the frame/front axle off set fork configuration. Still it looked great
            ​​​​
            GS550T 1981
            GS850G 1983
            GS650G 1982
            GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post

When I get a bigger garage someday, I need to find another bike or two that I can just hoon around on without worrying too much.
              Then you can hone your hooning skills.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
              X