GS1000L needs some love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000L needs some love

I have been walking past this GS1000L for at least five or six years now. Springs, summers, falls, and winters, I have never seen it move. It had a cover on it for a while. It's in my neighborhood on the east side of Saint Paul, Minnesota. A few years ago I spoke with a guy living in the duplex apartment there who claimed to be the owner of the bike. He said he doesn't have a title for it, and he'd take $700 for it. I'm not sure what the procedure would be to get a replacement title for it, or if it was stolen, or if he's the real owner, or what. My GS550 of the same era uses the engine serial number for the VIN, so maybe I could get the serial number off this bike and check the motor vehicle records for it. I sure don't need another project right now, but maybe some GSR member here does. What do you think?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Picture looks good for been sitting out there for that long... Should be a good project. Think how good you'd feel getting that thing back up and on the road, ya'll deserve each other.. Price should be negotiateable after that long. I've not heard of eng. # being used for registration, Do ya'll use the VIN for anything? It seems If ya'll swap an eng., your reg. wouldn't be valid anymore.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Look up your state's process for re-titling a vehicle. Some states make it easy, some make it impossible. Sometimes it's just a gamble and the best you can do is take out a bond against the value of the bike in case someone comes to claim it after you've got it all fixed up. At the very least, you will probably want to run the VIN past the police to see if it's stolen. You can call up your DMV if you want as a starting point, but make sure to verify every single word they say. I know of many people who have been burned by DMV employees just spouting off complete and utter nonsense having nothing to do with reality.

That's an '81 or newer, so the VIN is on the headstock of the frame. Do not use the engine number.

Looking at the pictures, and how long it's been sitting, and the fact that it doesn't have a title, it doesn't feel like a $700 bike in my book, but that's between you and the seller.
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

My rule of thumb for old motorcycles has been that if it is not running and it is not a rare collectible it is a parts bike.
        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
        80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
          My rule of thumb for old motorcycles has been that if it is not running and it is not a rare collectible it is a parts bike.
          Fair enough although if the owner is getting grey it comes down to "If it ran why did you park it?" then the answer to that question could very well land you something worth playing with. Does in my case anyhow.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

If it's his bike, and he had it registered once, he should have no problem getting a title for it. Anything else is an excuse, he could have obtained the bike without a title, and has no idea who he got it with. That combined with the fact that it's an "L" model, personally, he'd have to give me $500 to take it away. If he could get the title, and you could see if the motor turned over, it could make a nice trike.

GS1000L trike.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X