Gs1100l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100l

Thinking of purchaseing a 1983 GS1100L Good condition with 24000miles on it. Anybody any thoughts on the GS1100L or has anybody got one for advise etc

That model is not very popular.
    You will probably spend some dough on maintenance and maybe small repairs.
    You may not get your money back if you wish to sell it later on.
    (a GSX1100E or ES for example, is a better investment.)
    /commercial-sensible mode OFF

That said, if you like it, it may be the opportunity to pick up a low mileage bike.​
    Maybe even very cheap because it's not hugely popular ?
    Reliable, fantastic engine.
    My buddy had one and it's BIG fun.
    For a tall guy like me, riding position is not ideal especially on longer rides.
    But for what i usually do, shorter 1-2 hour rides, it's a real nice bike.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Same bike as all other 8 valve GS's, the Hot rod, GS's models, got 16V eng. in "80". About the only difference is the style of the "L" and it is usually less desirable than the more standard models. That being said, all the Mfg. made that style, no doubt many folks liked them back then and still do. If you're satisfied with that style, that's good for you as those, like said, fetch a lower price, while being just as good and reliable as any other GS.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I reworked my 82 GS1100GL. If it runs good not a bad bike. I changed the seat and handlebars and put in a Wisco 1134 kit. Along with a few other things. I have a thread about the rebuild if you want to check it out
        Well after introducing myself I started to pull this 1100 apart. Im always amazed at what PO's do or not due to these poor bikes. The bike looks ok but there are a lot of small details that need addressing. Thats why I normally tear these old bike down completely and start from scratch. The wiring is a mess on this bike and

Last edited by craz1; 09-03-2023, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the bike. The guy wants £3100 so may be a bit over priced, although a good GS750 over here is fetching £6000 ish
          Will have to give it some thought

Comment

If you do what craz1​ did to his bike, it negates the "L"ish nature of the bike, and you end up with a big bore bike, with long legs. I'd remove that passenger rear seat bar to clean it up a little more. IMHO

Comment

Working...
            X