79 850 g- motor shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 850 g- motor shot?

I recently got a 79 850 with electric and kickstart. It sat 20 years. I push the kickstart pedal down by handturn the motor over. It had no gas tank, wss sitting outside.i just drained the oil checking the bike out. I expected black sludge. It was light brown like weak coffee. I figure even though it does feel oily its probably oil and rainwater. I guess the engine is ruined even though it turns over.right?

No necessarily.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I don't think you should be able to work the kick start with your hand. You weren't grabbing the clutch lever with your other hand, were you?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        I don't think you should be able to work the kick start with your hand. You weren't grabbing the clutch lever with your other hand, were you?
        Yes, you can. It surprised me at the time.
        It's not really free and easy, you can feel some compression, but it's nothing like the kickstart on a twin.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I just pulled apart a 77 GS550 that had water in Blogs cyl and it was rusted to the cylinder wall. Some PB Blaster and time, it freed up.
          Removed the jug and the engine is free and worth looking into rebuilding. Not sure if I can save Blogs liner and I'm not about to waste $$$ removing and replacing this.
          No option to bore it out over 1mm - no pistons available - only option is to find usable jugs (anyone?) or find a 650G and take the top end (anyone?)

So don't throw it away just yet - plenty of 850's out there that need help or are best for parts
          Last edited by unfocused; 10-18-2023, 12:04 PM.
          Current:
          1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
          1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
          1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
          1998 Chevy C2500
          1999 Rav4

Comment

If it has water in it you'll know when you pull the oil drain plug since the water will settle at the bottom. As to compression you can expect it to be low until you run the engine a bit to reseat the rings.

If the oil seems to be water free after pulling the drain plug I'd hook up a battery to it and see if you can get it to fire with some starting fluid and go from there, it might not be as nearly bad off as you think!
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

You omitted the most important details: Where was it sitting? Under a lean-to or under a tree? Were the spark plugs installed? Were the carburetors also installed? If it was stored outside in the rain and the answer to either of the last two is no, then the engine _probably_ needs anything between a full rebuild and a trip to the scrapyard. If the plug and carbs were on it to prevent water from getting into the cylinders and ruining them, it _might_ still be fine. The fact that it turns over at all is a good sign. If you want to turn it over any more, I would put some oil in the cylinders to give them a fighting chance.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X