Considering selling a project 1000.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering selling a project 1000.

I first joined this forum about 10 years ago when I'd found a 1 owner '79GS1000e. I'm in the St Louis MO area. I revived the bike and was riding it after alot of help from the forum. I set the valve clearances, rebuilt the carbs with o-rings from the seller on the forum, put on new tires, etc. I then became extremely busy with work for 5+ years and the bike sat. It's now been about 8 years since it's been started, and I'm considering selling it. The problem is that I don't have the time or patience for dealing with tire kickers. I'm hoping to find a local buyer and knock it out quick and easy. I've got a good title in my name, and the price would be reasonable. I know the tires are old now, and the carbs will need another rebuild. Anyone in the St Louis area looking for a winter project?

This isn't a scam. I'm just trying to sell the bike without having a dozen strangers poking around in my shop. I won't ship it, and most people won't drive far for a project bike. I could possibly deliver it if it wasn't far, and it was paid for. The bike has all the good stuff on it. Stock exhaust, but it's not in good condition. The airbox is there with a k&n filter. I've got a complete brake setup from a later model bike with the slotted rotors and bigger pads. The tank is runnable, but it's dented. It's a replacement because the original rusted through. All the lights are there, as well as the seat grab bar and the trim on the tail section. It had a new battery in it when I revived it.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by FLHGSRay; 11-17-2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

This is the bike as it sits today. I fixed all of the normal oil leaks, tach drive, cam chain tensioner, etc. I installed a new Dynatec ignition, packed the neck bearings, new clutch and throttle cables. This would make a great bike for someone
      Screenshot_20231117_143358_Gallery.jpg

Comment

Looks like a great project indeed, very original looking, even original exhausts.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Yes, looks quite promising. Good luck
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I'd bet if you slapped some "Kawasaki" badges on the tank, it would be gone in a second!

GLWTS
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Nice bike, too far away for me. GLWS.
              1986 1150EF
              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Is there no market for project bikes anymore? It's pretty sad when a thread about electric bikes draws 25x the interest of a decent project.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                  Is there no market for project bikes anymore? It's pretty sad when a thread about electric bikes draws 25x the interest of a decent project.
                  Just waiting for the right interested party to come along, and maybe GS interest in the St Louis area isn't all that high. It does seem to be a bit patchy.
                  Regarding the electric bike thread, it's only the same few posters keep it churning along, and it's been up for months.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yeah, I get it. Thanks. I'll probably delete the thread soon and just keep the bike. I've got 5 others and thought I might thin it out a little. I already had to deal with one flake on Facebook. I'll let my heirs worry about it.

Comment

Hate it for you, it's just that the right guy has yet to see it.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

It's a regional thing. I'd be on that like a dirty shirt. It just depends who is in your area and what they're looking for I find. These bikes have changed from everyday riders to being a bit collectible so that changes how fast they sell too. Where I live decent GS' projects seem to go for the $2k-$3k range depending on what they are and condition, for that money beginner riders buy something newer, so the market is more the older types that remember them from the old days and a lot of those guys have an old bike already. Just my opinion and I hope I didn't mess up the thread, not my intention, however I think that's where things are at.
                        1986 1150EF
                        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Might want to pull the ad and re-post it again towards the end of March. Hard to sell bikes in the winter months in the midwest.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I'm not desperate to sell it. I'm willing to cut someone a good deal if it was quick and easy, but if it isn't, I'll just keep it and let my heirs worry about it. And I'll snicker whenever I read a post about "can't find a good deal".

Comment

SOLD! Fred made it very simple and easy. Sorry for coming off as an ass, but just really didn't want to deal with a bunch of flakes. I hope he has good luck with it. I may someday shop for a really nice example of the same bike. I think I'm past the "project" phase of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X