Stator engine cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator engine cover

Hello all. Im replacing my stator but cant so far get the engine cover off. Ive removed all the bolts and tapped the cover with a soft hammer. Maybe it has been glued on with sillicone? Is there a trick to removing the cover without damaging it? Thanks for any advice?

Someone could have used some type of RTV in addition to or instead of a gasket. Previous owners have been known to do silly things. There are the very strong magnets of the rotor pulling on the stator that are fighting you. Pull harder. Resist the urge to use any type of prying tool that may mar the gasket surface of cover or engine case.

top tip:
    Maybe you’re beyond this point, but it is possible to remove the stator cover and only spill maybe a few drops of oil if you first carefully and preferably with assistance, put the bike on its center stand and prop it up on the left side on a 2x4 (or a similar sized piece of lumber by whatever measure used in UK- stones, quids, pints, whatever)
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Bigger soft hammer?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Someone could have used some type of RTV in addition to or instead of a gasket. Previous owners have been known to do silly things. There are the very strong magnets of the rotor pulling on the stator that are fighting you. Pull harder. Resist the urge to use any type of prying tool that may mar the gasket surface of cover or engine case.

top tip:
        Maybe you’re beyond this point, but it is possible to remove the stator cover and only spill maybe a few drops of oil if you first carefully and preferably with assistance, put the bike on its center stand and prop it up on the left side on a 2x4 (or a similar sized piece of lumber by whatever measure used in UK- stones, quids, pints, whatever)
        I'm curious, Rich. Was that your second attempt at getting the bike to lean far enough? Maybe you just removed the right turn signal just in case it didn't work out as planned?

Christopher try warming the cover up with a heat gun and just keep working your way around the cover tapping with a rubber mallet. It won't move much because of the alignment pins but eventually, hopefully, you'll hear that seal pop loose.

Good luck!
        ​​​​​​​
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Can't take credit for this one Roger, though it does sound like something I would do. I stole this pic from Steve when he was still active on the forum. He advised me on how to do this, now I'm passing along the tips to the next gen.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            ........it does sound like something I would do.........
            Right? I'm lucky the fjr doesn't have signals on a stalk like the GS. I had it strapped to the ceiling rafters to remove the center stand. It got hot in the garage so I hit the button to open the door and, yeah, straps went bye bye. I use those foamy floor pads to kneel on so no harm done, thank God!

Any luck getting that stator cover off, Christopher ?
            Last edited by Burque73; 05-02-2024, 11:09 AM.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Update I got it off with some heat and gentle soft hammering thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
              X