Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth it?

Hi, first post on the gs forum here and I've got a question. I found this 1980 suzuki gs850g for 450 on FB market place and it seems like a crazy good deal the thing is though that the current owner has added that they have spent over 1 thousand on trying to get it to stay running but all they are able to do is get it jump started and then it dies out. Now they have said they cleaned out the carbs and have even taken it to actual mechanics and they still haven't been able to get it to stay running. The bike in the photos likes amazing especially for the price but if they haven't been able to get it to stay running even after having mechanics look at it is it worth it. I have very little mechanical experience but me and a friend want to try and get it going if its worth the time and effort.
    Attached Files

Looks well worth $450. Hard to believe they can't get it going, GS850's rarely have any big problems, other than sitting too long and carbs need "good" cleaned. But no guarantees... Oh yeah, WELCOME
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome to the forum. DO NOTHING to this bike until you have read member Nessism's top 10 newbie mistakes. Not following this advice will give you every opportunity to
      re-do everything a second time. Especially the carb cleaning.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Thats what I've seen about the GS series from this forum and every where else so its crazy to see how nice it looks and the price I've been seeing so many other GS series bikes on FB that look like dirt and twice or three times the price of this one. what do would be the first thing I should try and look at? And THANKS!

Comment

Re-read my post.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Posted my message before I saw yours haha thanks will do!

Comment

Is it worth it? That depends on your level of desire to learn.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Stator (inside left engine cover), SH 775 regulator (finned, behind carbs, behind side cover), starter motor brushes (under carbs), splines.
                Maybe someone else will say something about this, (splines) as I'm chain driven guy. Parts if needed, probably less than $350.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

My single biggest worry is what some other "mechanics" may have done to the carbs. Best case scenario you're likely replacing some crappy off-brand jets. Worst case scenario is some permanently damaged carb bodies and extracting stripped out pilot jets and/or broken off idle mixture screw tips.
                  Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                  Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

It depends on your skill set and patience. Yes butchered carbs would be worst case, not that hard to find another set though if they were unrepairable.
                    1986 1150EF
                    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

So I got it guys I'm excited to look into why it won't run. I've got some finals this week but I plan to spend most my free time trying to get it to run. I even found a free manual for it which I wasn't expecting!

Comment

Great, lots of experienced guys here that can save you a lot of head scratching when you get into it. Most of us will tell you to pull the gas tank, make sure the inside of it is clean, then pull the carbs, clean them properly, install new O-rings and bowl gaskets if they are needed before doing anything else.
                        1986 1150EF
                        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

one possibility: rusty tank and/or dirty gas. either will clog the petcock and produce the symptoms you describe. if the tank and fuel are clean then do the carbs. you still might have to replace the petcock but that can wait till the carbs are good. Oh and yes, for $450 that bike is a steal. The parts are worth more than that. Welcome to the site, step up to the bar and draw yerself a beer.
                          Last edited by zuluwiz; 05-04-2024, 08:03 PM.
                          Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                          1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                          1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Tigeroffhell View Post
                            Hi, first post on the gs forum here and I've got a question. I found this 1980 suzuki gs850g for 450 on FB market place and it seems like a crazy good deal the thing is though that the current owner has added that they have spent over 1 thousand on trying to get it to stay running but all they are able to do is get it jump started and then it dies out. Now they have said they cleaned out the carbs and have even taken it to actual mechanics and they still haven't been able to get it to stay running. The bike in the photos likes amazing especially for the price but if they haven't been able to get it to stay running even after having mechanics look at it is it worth it. I have very little mechanical experience but me and a friend want to try and get it going if its worth the time and effort.
                            This sounds like at least two different issues. Why are they having to jumpstart it? It does not crank with a fully charged battery? Once started how long doe it run before dying out?
                            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

You can remove the tank and hang an external one for your tests. If the engine does not die out after short time that will tell you to focus on the petcock, tank, and lines.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                              X