No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I adjusted my clutch cable on the GS1000 and put some 90 weight oil on the drive chain.

I also put some air in the tires, checked out about 5 1st Generation turn signal control units, switched around the inputs to my coils, and spark plug leads, then I took it out on the road and ran the out of it!
    It was nice!
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hi mistercinders, show us some pics!

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
      Got my SS brake lines together, installed and bled.

Started shaping up my new tank with some knee-dents. Still got a lot of bondo and sanding to get them right though.

Comment

cutting gears

this is a stock 3rd gear for a 1150/1500. Changing 6 little windows into 3 big ones is how to make a better gear shifting event at 10K.
        Not advisable for street use.
        There are better aftermarket gears but this is pretty good - I got 2 years out of the last one. ,

I'll be doing 2nd gear today - after I get another cutting bit.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by drivera84 View Post
          Hi mistercinders, show us some pics!
          The tank, seat and panels are primed, but I still need to feather out a few bondo edges on the tank and then sand down the primer with some finer grit before painting. Will get back to that tonight.

I managed to knock a tiny hole in the tank during the hammering process , which I patched with some JB weld. Will fill the tank with some vinegar to de rust (though it looks pretty clean inside) once priming is complete to check for leaks.

Absent a leak problem, I should have the bike painted and back together on Saturday. I am also painting my original undented tank in the same style. Will definitely post pics of the new look, which is a sexy surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
            The tank, seat and panels are primed, but I still need to feather out a few bondo edges on the tank and then sand down the primer with some finer grit before painting. Will get back to that tonight.

I managed to knock a tiny hole in the tank during the hammering process , which I patched with some JB weld. Will fill the tank with some vinegar to de rust (though it looks pretty clean inside) once priming is complete to check for leaks.

Absent a leak problem, I should have the bike painted and back together on Saturday. I am also painting my original undented tank in the same style. Will definitely post pics of the new look, which is a sexy surprise.
            Ooooh sounds interesting! Bummer on the hole though...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

No more body filler sanding, finished it up yesterday

sigpic

Comment

Did a valve adjustment on the 750. Lots of people seem to say it's a pain but it only took me about an hour... All the valves were tight, so it's a good thing I got in there and took care of that. Now to hunt down the grinding noise that seems to be wheel speed dependent...front wheel bearings perhaps.

Comment

Installed a set of Dyna coils and wires. Installed a set of carbs I had acquired and rebuilt/painted. Tuned the idle using the fastest idle method. Now awaiting a manometer so I can balance them.

Comment

While our Daughter was in the ICU, a friend of ours was two doors down (curtains) from wrecking his 2008 Triumph Sprint 1050 on CA. Rt. 49
                    (Same road that Chef went down on a couple of years ago)

Now that he is home recovering, I offered to get his bike into his garage so that he could at least see it and start to tinker on it when he is able.
                    He is wheelchair and walker bound for now.

His Wife and neighbor had dragged it to the side of the house in some deep river rock on wet mud as it snowed/rained yesterday and the day before.
                    When I found it, it was laying on its side covered with a tarp. All of the fairing parts were left at the scene apparently.
                    I stood it up and soon found that it was not going to be easy to get it moved.
                    After removing what was left of the front fender that was digging into the tire from both sides, it didn't want to turn at all with one bent fork and one that was snapped:

I don't give up easy so I strapped a 2 X 4 to the two halves of the fork. It helped a little.
                    With no brakes (broken off), it was difficult to rock it through the rocks!

I got it turned around in the deep rocks/mud and somehow made it into his garage.

Daniel

I also worked on the Cooley project a little. Pic's/story in that thread.

Comment

Tap and dye kit

I used a tap and dye kit for the first time to rethread my upper shock mount bolt to a 3/8 and it's solid now!

Comment

Leak test looks good. Filled the tank with vinegar and let it sit for a few hours. Nothing seeping out anywhere on the tank and no dark spots in the primer.

Laid down 2+ coats of the base color and then tightened up a final base color coat this morning. When I get home from work, I can paint the first stripe, and then lay down the final stripe (down the center of the first stripe) in the morning before clear coating the whole thing.

There will be pics, of course.

Comment

Re-running the wire harness in the bike, Cleaned each connection before reassembling. Running out of "Open" connections in the frame area, still need to tackle the connections in the headlamp bucket and the rear tail and turn, then I think it will be ready to test.

Comment

My battery. Bought in 2005, I am finally convinced it is losing efficacy. I am SUCH a tightwad!
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

My carbs! I pulled the rack and replaced a sticking needle valve and a leaking bowl gasket.

Comment

Two beer bottle tops and one sparkling red wine cork...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X