No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put a set of CBR600 coils on my 1123F. HOLY COW!!!!! Why didn't I do this earlier? I may do it to all my bikes. Talk about a wake up. The big motor pulls better than ever and it was a rocket anyway. Very easy to wheelie, too easy

Comment

Originally posted by redstedman View Post
      I put a set of CBR600 coils on my 1123F
      What gave you the idea to use those in the first place?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
        My battery. Bought in 2005, I am finally convinced it is losing efficacy. I am SUCH a tightwad!
        No need to brag, Allie!
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

The bike! Yes, believe it or not..

Comment

Got all my paint done and was ready to put her back together. The tank doesn't fit! It is about a half inch too narrow in the front. Can't believe I didn't dry fit the tank when it came in. The tank is from another 1978 GS 750. But it doesn't go over the frame in front.

Got some wood blocks to try and wedge it back into shape. FML

Comment

1977 Triumph TR7 masquerading as a T140. Bought by a bloke off Ebay - paid top dollar for a 'fully restored, no expense spared, once in a lifetime...'.

Says TR7 on the frame and engine - just a splayed head off a T140 and 2 carbs don't add £1000 to the value.

Anyway, the headstock had been overtightened to correct a fault with the head nut (it didn't work - just ruined the bearings), fork tubes hammered in - luckily I salvaged the forks but it was a lot of work with the wet and dry.

Looked like somebody had fired a shotgun in to the carbs (Mk 11/2s - off a later Harris Bonny) so they were replaced with Mk1s. No valve clearances on #1 and about 1mm on #2. Running like poo. Head off, valve grind, tune in the carbs (bottom position on the needles and 200 mains - that took a bit of finding out).

Plenty of use with a paintbrush and black gloss and the paint was falling off the tank as I watched.

So there's a warning to us all - know what you're looking at and be prepared to walk away from an Ebay purchase if it doesn't stack up.

Anyway, she now runs as sweet as a nut and I have to say it's the pokiest 750 Trumpet I've ever ridden. So maybe not a bad buy after all?

Here she is:

79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                1977 Triumph TR7 masquerading as a T140. Bought by a bloke off Ebay - paid top dollar for a 'fully restored, no expense spared, once in a lifetime...'.

Says TR7 on the frame and engine - just a splayed head off a T140 and 2 carbs don't add £1000 to the value.

Anyway, the headstock had been overtightened to correct a fault with the head nut (it didn't work - just ruined the bearings), fork tubes hammered in - luckily I salvaged the forks but it was a lot of work with the wet and dry.

Looked like somebody had fired a shotgun in to the carbs (Mk 11/2s - off a later Harris Bonny) so they were replaced with Mk1s. No valve clearances on #1 and about 1mm on #2. Running like poo. Head off, valve grind, tune in the carbs (bottom position on the needles and 200 mains - that took a bit of finding out).

Plenty of use with a paintbrush and black gloss and the paint was falling off the tank as I watched.

So there's a warning to us all - know what you're looking at and be prepared to walk away from an Ebay purchase if it doesn't stack up.

Anyway, she now runs as sweet as a nut and I have to say it's the pokiest 750 Trumpet I've ever ridden. So maybe not a bad buy after all?

Here she is:

Yeah I like that, nice
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  What gave you the idea to use those in the first place?

Daniel
                  Besides this fine site, I am at a couple others. CBXworld, CB1100F.net, & VJMC. On our "F" site, It is a common mod for our bikes. I was just uncommonly SLOW to realize it. The SOB's are like a magneto.

Comment

Final layer of body filler on the tail piece after I thought the previous would be the last... and finished up the "booth" ready to start painting tomorrow if I get the tail piece sanded in time.

sigpic

Comment

Changed oil and filter in the Mazda.

Tightened alternator belt in the Mazda. I had it replaced last year by the shop that replaced the timing belt, and asked them to be sure that the pulleys weren't glazed and that tension was correct. They didn't and wouldn't re-adjist tension when I complained. I'm never using that shop again.

Replace the battery in my slowly dying 1993 Mercure Sable. Old battery was only 4 1/2 years old. I expected more from an AGM Deka. The car has some symptoms of a bad head gasket. If so, it would be the third one in this car. But now it starts easily.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Painted my old tank in the new scheme, so I could at least ride around while I figure out the spreading.

Here she is.

Comment

Using my experience from my GS charging system I diagnosed a failed R/R on my GPz. Patched in a Honda R/R until an OEM arrives Wednesday. Did not phase me a bit; just found the 5 wires of interested and connected them. Good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                            Painted my old tank in the new scheme, so I could at least ride around while I figure out the spreading.

Here she is.

Nice work!

I didn't quite get to priming mine today...

sigpic

Comment

Actually, the paint on the tank is crappy. Yellow seems to draw gnats. Hopefully they will buff out. Heh.

GEAUX TIGERS!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                                Actually, the paint on the tank is crappy. Yellow seems to draw gnats. Hopefully they will buff out. Heh.

GEAUX TIGERS!
                                Really? Bugger! I wonder what insects are drawn to maroon?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X