No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There wasn't any chrome left on the down pipes, but the set got a good sanding and wire brushing. The chrome on the megaphone got a real good sanding. let idle for 10 min., cool for 20 min., idle for 20 min., cool for 20 min. run normally for 30 min. I took a ride for the last heat up, and parked it for the night. I missed the chrome on the baffle end of the megaphone. The adjacent paint where you would expect it to peel on the coolest part of the pipe is perfect. I'll wait the 7 days for the next coat. One can did the entire header assembly. You can still smell the paint curing a little, but less each day. Nice find from an unexpected source.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I have been using it for a few years now.. VHT also makes some awesome epoxy self priming paints. You can also check out EASTWOOD for all the 1500 degree paints and all your abrasive and polishing needs. If you email them they will send you a catalog.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Received my colourtune kit in the mail. Adjusted the idle fuel mixture accordingly. The RPMs dropped a lot, and runs smoother. It went from sounding like a Harley to soundling like a Suzuki.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          it may peel a bit where the chrome is..mine did. so to cure that problem get some 80 grit sand paper and scrub the hell out of the chrome to gouge the surface and make it porous enought to make a good bonding surface. No need to strip what is on there good...just a good scrubbing with the sandpaper and repaint.. let it set a few days then install. to bake it on, start the bike and hold the RPMs around 2000 for a good 4 or 5 minutes. It will smoke like crazy so do it outside. Let it set for about 1/2 HR and repeat this process 3 or 4 times. dont put a fan on the engine while doing this..,the key is to get the pipe good and hot to bake it well. Cycling the process lets it expand and contract a few times and sets it on real well .
          I used VTH or VHT or whatever that high heat paint is with the method you're explaining only I scratched em with 40 or 60 on a DA sander and did the tight areas by hand. Put on several (like 6 or 7) very light coats with the final coat being really heavy. PITA but I wanted it to hold up cause my only other option would be to wrap em(eww).
          About 500 miles on em so far with no problems. We'll have to see how it holds up in to the hot Ga summer though.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I got my gasket in the mail today and borrowed a Helicoil kit from one of my shops.

I installed the new heilcoil which was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be (especially when I thought I forgot a 1/4" drill bit!).

Of course I made doubly sure the hoses were all hooked up right and was crestfallen when it wouldn't run. A double check showed I switched the #1 and #2 spark plug wires. All better now, running smoothly and off for a short ride.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              it may peel a bit where the chrome is..mine did. so to cure that problem get some 80 grit sand paper and scrub the hell out of the chrome to gouge the surface and make it porous enought to make a good bonding surface. No need to strip what is on there good...just a good scrubbing with the sandpaper and repaint.. let it set a few days then install. to bake it on, start the bike and hold the RPMs around 2000 for a good 4 or 5 minutes. It will smoke like crazy so do it outside. Let it set for about 1/2 HR and repeat this process 3 or 4 times. dont put a fan on the engine while doing this..,the key is to get the pipe good and hot to bake it well. Cycling the process lets it expand and contract a few times and sets it on real well .
              Sorry if this sounds lazy, but is there any way to paint the headers while on the bike? I'm only asking because the pipes on my bike are rusty so I'm thinking of painting just the headers (till about the crossover pipe and the megaphones) with hi-temp paint. When I re-welded the exhaust back together back in March (at 1am ) the left one didn't quite line up and took some major wrassling to get into place. Now, maybe its loosened up now that the bike has been running and the pipe's been heated, but I'd rather not learn the hard way, and I'd rather not replace the exh gaskets again. If a good masking job is done, could they stay on the bike while I paint the header?

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
                Sorry if this sounds lazy, but is there any way to paint the headers while on the bike? I'm only asking because the pipes on my bike are rusty so I'm thinking of painting just the headers (till about the crossover pipe and the megaphones) with hi-temp paint. When I re-welded the exhaust back together back in March (at 1am ) the left one didn't quite line up and took some major wrassling to get into place. Now, maybe its loosened up now that the bike has been running and the pipe's been heated, but I'd rather not learn the hard way, and I'd rather not replace the exh gaskets again. If a good masking job is done, could they stay on the bike while I paint the header?
                Lazy will not cut it! Ever! Just kidding! The only things I would worry about would be the inside bits that face the frame. On my 1100E, my V&H pipe is all but touching the frame, and I can't imagine trying to paint it. To be fair though, I am absolutely terrible at painting.

Also, I think there's a certain amount of respect to be gained in this forum if you can perform an upgrade/task on the cheap and still have it work out well. One thing's for certain, we WILL demand before and after pics! So you'd better beg, borrow, or steal some sort of digital light box.

Comment

Eh, I've been thinking about it more, and it might do me some good to take off the pipes and paint them while the carbs are out. Might as well have everything off while the bike is non-functional...

Comment

I guess something to think about is the overspray onto the engine, forks, wheels, etc... If the exhaust bolts are frozen then you may have other problems to consider.

I'm only saying this because I just purchased/received a new Mac 4-1 to replace the PO's installed Mac that, I'm assuming because I still need it for work and haven't removed it yet, rusted through the welds inside the flange on one of the header pipes. It was just over $290 from denniskirk.com and is flat black. IMO don't keep applying band-aids to something that needs to be replaced.

Brad bk

Comment

Had a lot of fun this past week doing my first valve adjustment. Soaked and rebuilt the carbs as well now just need to buy of find someone in MASS that has a carb sync. And trying to figure out what a "Bench Sync" is and does it work.

Now... the only problem is my OCD kicking in telling me to rebuild the cam chain tentioner, replace the petcock, install braided steel brake lines...shall I go on? Does the madness ever end?

I hope not!

Comment

wrenched on this.. got it all back together after much of it was taken apart 9 years ago.

today i put all the plastics back on, new stebl horns and relay, re-installed the wheels after double checking the balance and then wrenched the throttle down

still on the list for it, though is more plastic repair, carb sync and shimming the needles in the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                          Had a lot of fun this past week doing my first valve adjustment. Soaked and rebuilt the carbs as well now just need to buy of find someone in MASS that has a carb sync. And trying to figure out what a "Bench Sync" is and does it work.

Now... the only problem is my OCD kicking in telling me to rebuild the cam chain tentioner, replace the petcock, install braided steel brake lines...shall I go on? Does the madness ever end?

I hope not!
                          No, no it doesn't. Much better to hand your bike over to me and get out while you can. Seriously though, I can understand how you feel. I've got the next two years of my project planned out. This hobby of mine is seriously out of control. I'm kinda surprised my friends haven't staged an intervention. Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                            wrenched on this.. got it all back together after much of it was taken apart 9 years ago.

today i put all the plastics back on, new stebl horns and relay, re-installed the wheels after double checking the balance and then wrenched the throttle down

still on the list for it, though is more plastic repair, carb sync and shimming the needles in the carbs.
                            That didn't come from Wisconsin, or did it? Gary from Baraboo.

Comment

got my carbs back for my 1100 after having them rebuilt and a jet kit installed. removed tank side covers stock air box. put carbs on and pod filters put everything back on it and finally got it running after sitting since last late summer. it was sweet i put a v&h 4 into 1 pro pipe on it and heard it for the first time. that face says it all now i just gotta fine tune it

Comment

Sorry if this sounds lazy, but is there any way to paint the headers while on the bike?
                                I have done headers on the bike with my usual down and dirty spray into the cap and brush the areas I can't hit with the spray nozzle.

Comment

Working...
                                X