No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today was time for the 50 hour throttle and clutch cable lubrication. After looking at the wear on the clutch cable where it hooks up to the lever it was time to replace it with a new O.E.M. item. Considering the cable had been there for 120,000 km I think it has done a pretty good job and deserved to have a rest in the "this is the part I need" box. Straight swap there so no problem. Next was to lube the throttle cable and carby spindles. To have that smooth crisp snappy throttle response it helps to clean the cable, throttle grip tube and clip-on then fresh lube for all three. Took it out for a quick blat to check the clutch cable for adjustment, hhmmmmmm perfect, cheers.

Shin-Ken 1074
    1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
    1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Nice one Glen! 120,000km's out of a throttle cable? That's pretty cool!

I ran a kero soaked rag over the chain to clean it today before a run around the block to fill her up for the week and warm the chain up for some lube.

Then tonight I tidied up the mess I left from fitting the breather catch tank and marked out where I need to cut the carry rack to make it match the grab rail that's on its way from the US.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

After checking the valves on the K1100RS the other day I had one loose and one tight intake...
        So yesterday I pulled the cam to check bucket sizes...yes, bucket sizes. The K motor doesn't use shims under the buckets, the buckets are sized.
        Turns out the sizes on the two out of clearance valves were exactly right if I switched them.
        Don't tell BMW this...they insist that these are mated wear parts and must never be put in another location...
        At $24 a bucket, plus shipping time, I am willing to risk it.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Sheer madness!!! $24 a bucket for a wear item that needs adjusting? Think I'll stick with my 450 and shims thanks

sigpic

Comment

Front caliper, again. Been working on reconditioning the Master Cylinder and front caliper. Think I got the system bled properly, but didn't have a lot of stopping power.

Pulled the caliper and cleaned everything. Ride later today should tell me whether the work on the system has paid off.

Rode yesterday and the system worked properly, but I had to exert too much effort to get hard stops.

Hoping the work today will help.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Sheer madness!!! $24 a bucket for a wear item that needs adjusting? Think I'll stick with my 450 and shims thanks
              Well at least they don't need adjusting very often...from what I've learned.

On the plus side, I ordered new intake boots, very similar to our GS boots and they only cost $7.35 each...
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                Well at least they don't need adjusting very often...from what I've learned.

On the plus side, I ordered new intake boots, very similar to our GS boots and they only cost $7.35 each...
                Cool, they gotta have something going for them!

sigpic

Comment

Ya think I need new rear brake pads?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Ya think I need new rear brake pads?

Nah,you should be good for 10,000 more miles

Comment

a lot of brakes getting look at today!....I pulled the two replacement front calipers to bits today....I was hoping the pistons would be good but not the case, pic below, so 2 new stainless ones had to be ordered..aaaa..I have all the seals here so have to wait until the end of the week before the pistons get here.....one good thing..maybe...I was going to blast and paint the calipers but to be honest after I degreased and ultrasoniced them to death they are not to bad...don't know if I should paint or just rebuild!!!...O and the pads I found in the calipers were good so no meed to buy more

one duff piston....other is the same

RB

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                        Nah,you should be good for 10,000 more miles
                        Yah, Can go a long way without brakes.

But, I found I did have a replacement set of pads on hand.

This looks better.

Last edited by Redman; 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

After TCK made a bracket to hold my air filter cage in place, we finally got the bike running and adjusted the idle mixture screws. Found out I'll have to replace the air box again as the replacement manifold doesn't want to sit quite right. But it's not so bad I can't ride right now I think.

But at least it's running finally. Now to do a clutch adjustment ride tomorrow afternoon.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            After TCK made a bracket to hold my air filter cage in place, we finally got the bike running and adjusted the idle mixture screws. Found out I'll have to replace the air box again as the replacement manifold doesn't want to sit quite right. But it's not so bad I can't ride right now I think.

But at least it's running finally. Now to do a clutch adjustment ride tomorrow afternoon.
                            Pic's of your "NEW" bike???

Eric

Comment

Didn't feel up to taking any. Maybe during my shakedown ride tomorrow but nothing looks all that different and the pipes I tried to paint are jacked up thanks to brake fluid so it's not all that picture worthy right now.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

finished up a set of carby's...

Comment

Working...
                                X