what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DevanJones View Post
    Did my first oil change today on my bike. I know it's baby stuff but I gotta start somewhere.
    Good for you. You will be tearing into the carbs in no time.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Got primer on the carry rack tonight...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
        Chuck, Mike, William, me and dog... Disassembled newly acquired smoothbores for a date with carb dip, tore apart ZRX to replace radiator hose and swap antifreeze w/ Water Wetter, fiddled with cables and such... AND had time for a beer. Moto fellowship deluxe.

...hooligans, i tell ya, hooligans!
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Pulled the body work off my old VFR and adjusted the valves, began cleaning the carbs...

Found this gem on the front left cylinder intake cam lobe

Comment

Sarcastic smartazz hooligans at that!!!!!!!
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

redid the front forks on my 1980 gs750l. sanded them down and replaced springs, seals & oil. looks brand new. I didn't polish the forks out. Just left them sanded. I like that look much better. Also for whatever reason, does anyone else get a knock at the front end when they hit a bump? I can't decide if it's the forks or not. Did the same thing before I changed the springs too. Huh.

Comment

thkbaron, you did remember to fill them with oil, right?

Eric

Comment

More like, what did I break and will have to work on.

Went around a corner and there was a new pothole. Hit it going about 40 and scraped.
                  Also busted a cracked weld more. I have to take the exhaust off to get the weld fixed. Think I need to replace the exhaust gaskets at all?

Comment

I would. You're in there, might as well do it right.

Comment

Got the satin black on the carry rack tonight.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

7981GS...........yeah I changed it. haha

Comment

Fired up the GS last week to go for a 2-3 hour ride. Immediately started smelling gas. Looked down and saw gas pouring out of the overflow tubes from the carbs. Dang. No problem. Probably just a stuck float valve. Tried tapping on the bowl. No luck. Push it back in the shed and take the bagger. It's great having 2 bikes. Put it up on the centerstand today and put the vacuum pump on the petcock, pinched off the tubes one by one and determine gas is coming from #2. Now, I've done this a thousand times, so fixing it isn't a problem. The problem is I'm 54 and 50 lbs overweight and really don't relish the idea of sitting down on the floor and finnessing those tiny screws and the float out of there with my big paws. Would have been much easier with the airbox out. Wasn't even worried about dropping anything, because I KNOW I'm going to. Got all 4 screws out, no sweat. Hinge pin, float, and valve, no problem. Pull a vacuum on the petcock and flush the orifice. Now the hard part. Getting it all back together without dropping anything, especially the float valve. Put a big glob of grease on it to hold it in place while I hold the float and get the pin in it. Now the bowl and screws. Start with the easiest one to hold the bowl in place. Hand start the others and 3 different screwdrivers later I'm done. Works great. Must have hoisted my fat a$$ up off that floor 15 times. I see a pneumatic lift in my future.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                            I see a pneumatic lift in my future.
                            That was one of the FIRST things I did. Found a nice one on CL. Still have to build an adapter frame so I can pick up the bike with the exhaust still on it. Only thing I can't use it for is changing oil.

Between that and a little hydraulic stool, keeps my equally fat arse off the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                              pinched off the tubes one by one and determine gas is coming from #2. .
                              Sounds like a petcock, to me. Pull the fuel line on the #2 carb and with the petcock in PRI or RUN, there should be NO fuel flowing from the line. If there is...time for a petcock.

Comment

I don't want to use tape-a-weights on my bike, and Suzuki discontinued the wheel weights for the cast wheels on the 16-valve models. So down to the bone yard with a screwdriver and hauled off all I could fit in my pockets for $2. LOL! I got 10g, 20g, and 30g weights, and plenty of each.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                                X