what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monty View Post
    More like, what did I break and will have to work on.

Went around a corner and there was a new pothole. Hit it going about 40 and scraped.
    Also busted a cracked weld more. I have to take the exhaust off to get the weld fixed. Think I need to replace the exhaust gaskets at all?
    So, this happened today. I think it was along the freeway going about 75. I need to go hunt for it tomorrow. I can't afford a new one.

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      Good for you. You will be tearing into the carbs in no time.
      That's the plan once I'm outta school for the summer.

Comment

Getting all the pieces in place.

The power source.

Sliding three point hitch.

And another attachment.

Comment

I changed the alternator on the wife's '97 Lexus ES300. It went much smoother than I anticipated.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Had to touch up the paint on the carry rack, found some bits that were missed due to the way I had it hanging.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

might put on my NOS foot pegs today to replace the dog chewed ones.

Comment

changed my oil from 20-50 to rotella 15-40 welded up my engine guards where they needed repair and installed my highway pegs then took a cruise. i was comfortable except i noticed cause they are a lil low they feel like forward controls

Comment

Yes! Found my muffler on the side of the road. I think I'm going to toss it in my bag tomorrow and stop by a shop to see if there is enough there to weld it back on.

Comment

Tightened my chain.

I was riding down the road when a guy in a car pulled up next to me at a light and told me my chain was bouncing all over the place. I really appreciated him telling me that. I'm guessing he was a fellow biker. I don't know if I would have thought to check it (being a noob) before something bad would happen.

When I got home the chain was so loose it easily touched the swing arm. I got my service manual out (and a new cotter pin) and got everything adjusted to spec.

I'm not sure if it was psychological or not but I think the bike rode smoother after I made the adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                      Tightened my chain.

I was riding down the road when a guy in a car pulled up next to me at a light and told me my chain was bouncing all over the place. I really appreciated him telling me that. I'm guessing he was a fellow biker. I don't know if I would have thought to check it (being a noob) before something bad would happen.

When I got home the chain was so loose it easily touched the swing arm. I got my service manual out (and a new cotter pin) and got everything adjusted to spec.

I'm not sure if it was psychological or not but I think the bike rode smoother after I made the adjustment.
                      No...it isn't in your head. A sloppy/loose chain on a bike makes them ride "jerky" and the roll on power is less predictable.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                        No...it isn't in your head. A sloppy/loose chain on a bike makes them ride "jerky" and the roll on power is less predictable.

Glad you got it sorted out.
                        +1!

Is your chain new?

I found out after my rebuild that they will stretch a certain amount very quickly after my first ride with a mate from work.

Got where we were going and he said it looked loose, checked it, yup very loose! Babied it home and adjusted it up again, been fine since then.

And yes, definitely feels a *lot* different under acceleration etc. when it's loose.
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Yea it was put on by the PO just before I bought it (so he said).

Now I just need to break in my new ICON Elsinore boots so my shifting is a bit smoother. But damn they are cool boots.

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          +1!

Is your chain new?

I found out after my rebuild that they will stretch a certain amount very quickly after my first ride with a mate from work.

Got where we were going and he said it looked loose, checked it, yup very loose! Babied it home and adjusted it up again, been fine since then.

And yes, definitely feels a *lot* different under acceleration etc. when it's loose.

Comment

You need to keep a close eye on it. Sometimes the seller will put a really cheap chain on it; it looks great but stretches like a rubber band. Also, it wants a cleaning and re-lubing every 600 miles. Failure to do that will also make it stretch.

Comment

Re-assembling a Honda presently..

Installed new pads and brake lines..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                                Re-assembling a Honda presently..

Installed new pads and brake lines..

SHOW OFF ! ! ! ! !

Me likey wholes bunches O-LOTS!

Honda nailed THAT bike. Been scamming the Cracks' List up here for a similar. Missed an 84(?) 750 for $495.00 a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X