what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
    I was at school replacing a bearing (not on the bike) and decided to open up my carbs to take a look at them. Aside from some minor blockage on the main jet (which is why it is out in the pictures) on the #1 carb, I found this rubber plug. Granted, this is only my second set of carbs that I've opened up, but I remember on the Keihin FCR37 that I dissected last week, the idle and starter jets were clearly accessible and open to the float bowl. I only see the main jet, where are the others? What is behind the plug in pic #1? It looks like a jet of some sort...is that plug supposed to be there?? (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)

Thanks

The problem?

Behind door #1...

Yes, that plug is supposed to be there. That is the pilot jet under the plug.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Discovered the valves are sticking in the GPz head. Time to take it back down and:
      Figure out why
      Resolve the problem and repair
      Paint and bake the head while the seals are out.

Turning a lemon day into a lemonade evening.

Comment

Finally got down to cleaning the carbs. Reset float heights from ~19mm to 23mm as per Haynes. Found that the starter passage is completely clogged on both sides (carb spray not going through). Trying to figure out a way to clean them off. I'm not entirely comfortable w/ the "special tool" in the carb rebuild series from Cliff's website, but it might be my only route

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
          Finally got down to cleaning the carbs. Reset float heights from ~19mm to 23mm as per Haynes. Found that the starter passage is completely clogged on both sides (carb spray not going through). Trying to figure out a way to clean them off. I'm not entirely comfortable w/ the "special tool" in the carb rebuild series from Cliff's website, but it might be my only route
          I had the same problem. My "special tool" was a bread twistie with the paper torn off. Worked great!
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I ended up using a piece of electrical wire. Started with a couple strands twisted together to brush off all the buildup so I can see the hole, and then cut down to just one strand to work it through. It took a while and a bunch of carb cleaner, but eventually got both of them through and cleaned 'em out. Re-assembled the carbs. Now I'm only waiting on the new o-rings and clamps, and I can put the carbs back on the bike. I'll see if the weather holds tomorrow so I can look @ the exhaust valve shims to see what sizes I need, and then pick them up from the local shop on Monday. Since I don't know when my parts are coming in, it might not be until the end of the week to see if all this work I've done will have an impact on the bike's startability

Comment

Finished taking apart carb #1 for dipping. Gave up trying to get the pilot jet out, I've buggered the head too much at this point. Going to just let it soak in the dip for a while, and try heat, PB blaster, and an extractor. Bike is stock, with a V&H pipe, so I've decided on ordering a Dynojet kit to go ahead and jet it properly for the pipe. That'll give me the jets I need. Hoping for that to help with the hot running. Motor never acted funny last summer, but the temps make me nervous, especially sans oil cooler. New bowl gaskets are on the way as well, mine were too brittle to save. Front calipers have been stripped, and I've torn down the front master in preparation for paint stripping. Attempted to paint the headlight bucket, with VHT Wrinkle Finish paint, but I didn't lay it properly, and the finish came out a bit odd. I think I might try knocking down some of the high runs with some wet sand paper, and giving it another shot.

Comment

New clutch plates, hd hub and nut, shift shaft and countershaft seals. All on one of the 1150s. Sandblasted the header and painted it with VHT high temp black. Still need a new battery, but other than that it's rideable.

Comment

Technically yesterday now, but I installed the venerable Lincoln Mark 8 electric fan into my 5.9L Durango to replace the mechanical fan after I was sent the wrong water pump (no fan attachment).

Still shopping for a bike to wrench (actually hopefully not to wrench) upon.

Comment

Replaced this on Saturday

On Sunday I replaced all the bolts on my taillight mount as I came home missing two.

Also dropped a cylinder on the highway today and rode home about 5 miles - discovered a plug wire came off the coil. Removed tank to do a proper job of getting it on right

Comment

Today I'm starting to fabricate shop stands for both the bike and motor... looking at what's out there for sale and combining the best for my use... I'll post pictures after the prototyping.....Then it'll be time to do the top end maybe by the weekend!!

Comment

Removed the snow plow mount from the front of my truck (shouldn't need that until November now), mounting leaf and needle collector bag system to my wife's yard tractor, removing the snow cab and snow thrower from my yard tractor to set up garden plow attachments and to tow the 42 in yard sweeper with so we can get rid of all the leaves and needles all over the yard.

Comment

Pulled the valves back out of the GPz head (I apparently bent a couple through ignorance). Painted the head and valve cover. Removed a glued-on gasket from the clutch cover (stupid me) and installed a new one dry. Fitted existing valves to head to find the bent ones, pending their replacements arriving tomorrow. Starting fitting the Acell coils and relay for replacing the stock units.

Comment

I took my harris exhaust off and it came apart and never remembered which order the downpipes came off it.... theres 3 hours of my life i'll never get back

Comment

Got my carb rebuild stuff and front brake pads waiting for me to get done working on the new fence.

Brad bk

Comment

Installed a 165 dollar starter on the GMC 3500 Cutaway van (work truck).

Highway robbery I tell ya!
                                sigpic

82 GS850
                                78 GS1000
                                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                                .................________-|___\____
                                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                                X