No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to reorganise how I have my saddle bags mounted because they're kicking us out of parking under the building at work. Been waiting for that for a while. Just means I can't leave the bags on the bike all day parking in the designated parks on the footpath outside...

Then I got started dismantling the Cucciolo clutch...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      That's what I keep telling myself I'm really impressed with the Vetter fairing, who woulda thunk...

Gonna be an ugly bike this season, but when it's over, I'm stripping it to the frame and it'll look oh so much better
      A National Cycle Plexifairing III provides 3/4 the protection, and might please your eye more.

Originally posted by JATO View Post
      Yesterday I replaced my 138 jets with 142s to cure the flat spot I was having above 5500 rpm. After that, I went to work and did some wrenching on my airplane, which so happens to be a B-52. No big deal.
      And we think that Suzuki GSes are old broads!
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Here's some stupid for you.

The other day, I was wiring up my new tail-lights for the green seat/tank combo. The light assemblies don't use the brown/white/black & white color scheme, and did not come with a diagram. So I have to do a little trial-and-error to sort out which wire is for the brake, tail and ground. NBD

Just when I think it's sorted, I dry fit the wires and turn the key to give power. No brake light when I hit the lever. Swap the two wires, and try again. No brake light.

Knowing that the black wire was the ground, there are only two variations for the remaining two wires, green and red. So I test them in pairs (i.e., ground + red), to see what I am missing. No matter what combination, I always get tail-light, but never get a brake light.

After hunting for a short in the white brake wire for about an hour, I find the problem. My front brake lever was caught on a throttle cable, keeping the switch closed.

Didn't have anything else to do that evening anyway. :facepalm:

Comment

put the dyna ignition on pickups,green coils,and 8mm wires changed to fluid in the forks, and put the valve cover gasket on. i let it sit over night and took it for a ride this afternoon it runs so much better got 4 new spark plugs gaped and ready to be installed tomorrow before i take it to work cant wait, im glad the points are gone...

Comment

-got the carbs back together
            -installed pods
            -oil pan was cracked, got lucky, found one for $35 on ebay.
            -had to order a clutch cable, it was seized up pretty badly from sitting for 10 years

Comment

Spent 2 days trying to get the HID headlight to work in with my vetter fairing. First hurdle was the housing/lens, the one I had, when you spun the ring down to tighten the headlight, it was still loose, spent forever messing with that. Then wired everything up, spliced the ballast into the stock wiring so I could mount it inside hidden away, and use the fairing harness wiring to get the juice to the lamp. Well, that was a bad idea, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that the fairing had a common ground, and the connection from the ballast to bulb needs to be an isolated circuit, which it wasn't, so I killed the ballast. Lucky me I had another, so made a separate ground wire, turn the lights on, and it won't keep the lamp on, now I'm ****ed. ,measure voltage at the two wire going into the ballast, 10.3v. Gah!!! I hate old crap! Had about 12.5v at the battery, and 11.75 at the connector going into the fairing. So something somewhere is corroded. Made a new ballast to bulb harness to eliminate the connector, now the thing works with the bike running, but shuts off intermittently. So I'm taking a break from this headache for a day or so. I'm just going to make a new harness for the fairing, even the pigtail from the stock headlight bucket to fairing, redoing it all. Just need a bunch of wire, and the connector from vetter's site too I guess.

Comment

Finally had time to do a plug chop at idle. 3 and 4 were a tad rich but good at 1/4, 1/2 and wot. Dialed in the pilot screws 1/8 each, good now.

Also worked 2 604 Challengers at work, future beer cans. Gawd I hate anything Bombardier, except their snowmobiles.

Comment

How? How? Seriously how?......

.....Can you leave a bike standing for a week (which was running fine) and then go back to start it and it`s spluttering and farting, wont rev tidy!!!!!! so this morning it was carbs off/ bowls off/ jets out and yes theres some crud in one of the pilot jets? (even tho theres a fuel filter) but all sorted now and back together and running sweet as, but also picked up a Piaggio Hexagon 180cc 2 stroke scooter for commuting to work (petrol in UK is ridiculous now) and what a revelation/blast, great fun and very comfortable, now for some food and a rest in front of the tv methinks.
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2012, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Made a couple of short bungey straps to hold my panniers down but still make it easy to take them off quick at work:

Then more Cucciolo clean up, and rapidly approaching the point of nothing more to dismantle. I need to get the bearings off the crank though and that's going to be interesting... although I suspect not quite as interesting as trying to locate replacements

sigpic

Comment

Put the rear wheel back on, along with exhaust and tail grab. Took for a ride around the block and a retro effect photo for good measure:

Finishing up the tank emblems.

Next I have to sort out this oil leak from the cam tensioner:

Not sure how to fix this (any help would be great, please!)

Also, the electrical stuff is not looking good - not sure if it is the battery or something else, but will have to get that sorted as well.

Nearly there...

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian2 View Post
                        .....Can you leave a bike standing for a week (which was running fine) and then go back to start it and it`s spluttering and farting, wont rev tidy!!!!!! so this morning it was carbs off/ bowls off/ jets out and yes theres some crud in one of the pilot jets? ....
                        That should not happen in a week's time. Something upstream got crudded up, and you're finally seeing the effects, all at once.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                          Put the rear wheel back on, along with exhaust and tail grab. Took for a ride around the block and a retro effect photo for good measure:

Finishing up the tank emblems.

Next I have to sort out this oil leak from the cam tensioner:

Not sure how to fix this (any help would be great, please!)

Also, the electrical stuff is not looking good - not sure if it is the battery or something else, but will have to get that sorted as well.

Nearly there...
                          Lookin' good Wally!

BassCliff's site has a write up on sorting out your tensioner woes including Suzuki part numbers for the seals...

sigpic

Comment

Got my hagons in, new turn signals, petcocks (for the virago tank) and sonic springs.Unfortunately the springs are too wide and kinda short (15" vs 24.25"). I emailed them and hopefully I can get the gs back up soon.

Comment

Aren't you supposed to make spacers with the supplied piece of pipe for each leg?
                              No instructions came in the box?
                              I know that I did on mine.

Eric

Comment

The pvc was actually too wide too haha. The springs can be rotated down the tubes a few inches but they start binding. I can get smaller pvc and I'm sure they will make it right, I've heard great things about their customer service.

Comment

Working...
                                X