what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wally View Post
    Fixed my cam tensioner leak. (hopefully).

Thanx to Mr Bwringer's great tutorial! And pretty easy as you mentioned Pete! Super happy!

Also took 1 old torn intake boot off and replaced with a good 1 that came with the carb purchase.

Also tore down the new purchased carb to get it clean and sorted.

Pretty productive Saturday!
    Nice work Wally! Glad to hear it
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

16 valve - valve removal

I used the classic setup for accessing the retainers.....the pvc with window and a spring compressor.

The best "twist" I discovered on this procedure was to not use the tweezers but rather a right angle pick that is magnetized. First I used it to pick the keepers out once the springs were compressed, then the angled pick easily retreives them from the spring cap/pvc tool area with the magnetic pull.

Currently stripping head for painting, new valve seals, and reassembly.

Comment

Pesky Electrons...

After much procrastination, I finally decided to try to find the source of my electrical woes in the starting circuit. Last time out, with a brand new, fully charged battery, and after checking the charging at the battery to be acceptable, I went for a ride - only to get a very weak, and "unable to turn the engine over" cranking from the starter...

Doug (aka Crag Antler, of Moosehead fame) came down from Portland in his sleeper Crown Vic / unmarked FBI car - man is that car sweet - lots of VERY COOL custom touches...that car should really have it's own thread.

Anyway, Doug and I took apart the right handlebar switch, checked connectivity, cleaned up both the kill switch and the starter button with contact cleaner and reassembled it.

Then on to the ignition switch, but first remove the cowling, tank, speedo... Eventually, its just two allen heads to remove the switch, break it down to expose the contacts, and we find lots of dirt in there. Blow it out with compressed air, more contact cleaner, testing and reassembly.

Not that bad, and no other issues discovered (or created ) and we seem to be back in business.

Doug, thanks for the help and company this morning (and very nice Crown Vic )
        Scott
        1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
        1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
        1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
        2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
        sigpic

Comment

Put swing ARM and front end on my frame..got a roller now

Comment

Originally posted by gs scott View Post
            Doug (aka Crag Antler, of Moosehead fame) came down from Portland in his sleeper Crown Vic / unmarked FBI car - man is that car sweet - lots of VERY COOL custom touches...that car should really have it's own thread.
            Super-charged perhaps?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
              Super-charged perhaps?

Eric
              I wish. She's just an '04 P-73 I have worked on over the past few years tricking out. Putting out close to 300 hp and did the 1/4 in 15.4.
              Not bad for such a heavy car but she is getting faster all the time. To put in a S/C, I would have to build the motor,to do it right.

so that is what I have been wrenching on for the past year.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Ricks stator and the compufire came in today, the chain and sprockets are coming tomorrow.

Comment

rebuilt my rear brake master cylinder and reinstalled the newly rebuilt front calipers, now to measure her up for some shiny new brake lines

Comment

Given the constant rain on the trip to and from work this week I've been paying close attention to the cagers behind me... and realised my front brake switch isn't turning the brake light on soon enough for my liking and that the shoulders of my rain suit are blocking a little too much of my mirrors... not a drama with just my jacket on, but the rain suit over the top is too much.

Adjusted the brake light switch as best I could, but the only down side with the M/C from Mikes XS is that adjusting it brings the lever further into the 'bars a touch... nothing drastic but just not the best method of adjustment.

Both mirrors now appear to be set a little wider so hopefully that'll take care of the shoulder issue...

Oh, and sprayed some chain lube on to counter the wet too...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I have been working my butt off trying to get the 1100 ready for motorcycle days at Mid-Ohio. I have eight days to go so it should be ready. I only have to reassemble the front wheel and brakes, oh and bleed them. That will take two day just bleeding the bastards! Oh FYI a 110/90 19 is a hair to big stick with the 100/90 19 just saying.
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        I have been working my butt off trying to get the 1100 ready for motorcycle days at Mid-Ohio. I have eight days to go so it should be ready. I only have to reassemble the front wheel and brakes, oh and bleed them. That will take two day just bleeding the bastards! Oh FYI a 110/90 19 is a hair to big stick with the 100/90 19 just saying.
                        Just don't tighten the fender bolts until you get the clearance the same at every point.
                        Yes, there is a 110/90-19 on my '82 1200G.
                        Hoping that the brake bleeding goes easy for you.

Eric

Comment

Finally got enuff ambition to put the new steering head bearings in the 1150 today. Hope I don't have to change them again for another 30 years. Not my favorite job.

Comment

Does making and installing cabinets count as I did have to use a 1/2" wrench to remove the pedestal sink to fit the cabinet in place.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thought you have a broken hand!!! Oh yeah, I wrench with a bollooned up hand too...your excused.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                                Does making and installing cabinets count as I did have to use a 1/2" wrench to remove the pedestal sink to fit the cabinet in place.
                                Are you making them for the garage to hold GS parts

Comment

Working...
                                X