No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted a set of VM29s from the manual choke handle setup to the cable style setup so he can use the choke cable on his Cooley with them.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Got my first tank bag in the mail from MotorcycleGear.com, love shopping with those guys! It's a FirstGear Onyx bag, fits my FJ perfectly. And I rode the FJ for about 5 hours today, man I love this bike Now back to the GS in the garage... need to finish the wiring in the Vetter fairing.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        Got my first tank bag in the mail from MotorcycleGear.com, love shopping with those guys! It's a FirstGear Onyx bag, fits my FJ perfectly. And I rode the FJ for about 5 hours today, man I love this bike Now back to the GS in the garage... need to finish the wiring in the Vetter fairing.

Same bag I have on the 850. LOVE it. It usually stays on the bike for the " can you stop on your way home" type trips. A gallon of milks fits easy with plenty of room for the bike cover and gloves/ect.

I think you'll enjoy it !

Comment

Well I sold my B-12 on partial trade with Lurch for his 78 GS750E. It was black and had all the E brakes and forks... well Since my 79 GS750 is forever fouled I parted it out and installed all the goodies on my now new 78 GS750E. Loads of new stuffs on this great running rig. Of course I swapped over all the body bits. Then did a 530 Chain Conversion(orange chain to match the paint ), SS brake lines, Slotted rotors front and rear, 80 GSX Forks and front end with new progressive shocks and fork seals, New rubber front and rear, Cafe faring, Head light bucket, Dyna S ignition with Dyna coils, polished the chrome, started to detail the motor but ran out of steam. This bike truly is a gem. I put about 100 miles on it and it's doing 50 mpg (38 rear tooth). 3K RPM at 60mph and the bike is so quiet and smooth you don't even realize it's running. Handles like a dream. Sure the gearing is a bit tall but it still gets to 80 mph faster then any 550 I've ridden!

Pics

Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Stuck a new battery in my wife's Peugeot 206... it actually starts easily now

And test fitted the wheels and guards I got for the Cucciolo project... not exactly a huge amount of wrenching but it was nice to do something for a change...
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

More work on the Dumbwaiter in the garage. Need to get past the bottle neck that has prevented me from using at least half the space in the barn, from the day we bought the place 16+ years ago.

Think Erie Canal and the need to raise and lower heavy opjects a meer 36"...

The platform lift will be supplied by a means of pulleys and cables such that lifting via a chain hoist, will raise and lower the platform so that I can store bikes on the "bench" that is 42" wide and 24' long. Under the "bench", will be room for lawn mowers, generator, Track Vac system, ect. I've also set it up so that adding to the guide track length and raising the chain hoist, will allow for the platform to be raised all the way up to the haymow where currently, there is wide open space and a 20+ foot ceiling height.

Fun little project. Should have it completed and operational by next weekend IF all goes well.

Comment

That's very cool Dave! Would love to see it in operation... and I'm extremely jealous of your space!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Pete.

Problem with having a little "extra" room, is that one tends to fill it up anyway !

Once I'm into the haymow... all bets are off !

One daughter even mentioned an indoor volleyball / basketball court...

Comment

Hahaha yeah I know what you mean... indoor volleyball/basketball hey? I guess you could at least keep active when the snow hits! Haha

Actually if it's that big why not just lay out a little track, get some pocket bikes, and go pocket bike racing? You could do that year round

sigpic

Comment

I was up until midnight last night assembling the carbs. I just have to bench sync and then I can finally reinstall everything and vaccum sync.

Comment

I had to work on the trusty old Red Truck ('84 Ford F250 4X4 diesel). I parked it down by the barn for a few days with a load of firewood in it and it wouldn't start. It has never not started. Anyway looks like the local pack rat liked the taste of the fuel return lines from the injectors so had to buy the kit and replace the plastic injector caps, lines and o-rings. It was probably due anyway as the 0-rings were replaced about 8 years ago and were hard and brittle. There's a couple of enjoyable hours I'll never get back. I'd trap the little bugger but there's also a skunk hanging around and I don't want it in the trap.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

got my new rear tire today, plus some new gloves. tomorrow i should get some cbr rotors, and the next day some twin pot tokico calipers in what look to be excellent condition, for the "salty monk" twinpot brake mod, woot. thinking about getting some new stainless lines, i have ok stainless on there now, but they could be purtier(thinking maybe some stainless banjos etc, i will need a new banjo for the new calipers anyway, i "think" it is a different thread pitch than the stock zuk ones?), plus i am thinking about putting in a cartridge emulator, "while i'm in there..." ha.

busy fall.

oh, and for sure a new front tire will happen then, too. Like a brand new bike, she'll be!
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Yesterday:
                            Got gaskets. Not originals. Fitted them anyway. Expect to regret that in a few years...
                            Cylinder block slid in place with the help of a friend.
                            Top fitted nicely, with only minor struggles with the chain guards.
                            Another couple friends came over just when I was going to do the cams, so I had three heads pondering the problem. In the end they look right: 20 links between arrows and so on. All 16 bolts went back in and 15 were tightened to the correct moment. One felt wrong, so no excessive force used for that one. Then another new gasket and the lid, and the engine is starting to look like itself again.
                            Made a make-fix solution for the hose that goes to the airbox. Beautiful piece of late-night MacGyverism by the three of us.

Today I am going to go get a new key, get a temp plate for thursday, and then it's back to the workshop where the carbs and airboxes go back on, followed by battery and cables, tank, seat, original 78 GS1000 pipes, oil, gas and then feel free to invoke whatever deity you might think cares about a Northern hack mechanic to send me some good luck; I'm turning her over.

Crossing fingers like a madman.

I still have Wednesday as well, so I'm feeling pretty confident I'll have it working for the DMV appt on Thursday. But hey, I've said things like THAT before.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovmod View Post
                              ....All 16 bolts went back in and 15 were tightened to the correct moment. One felt wrong, so no excessive force used for that one. ...
                              Crucial point, to not risk twisting off a bolt during installation.

Can you use the proper tightening sequence for these bolts if one isn't being tightened?
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Sounds good Hovmod. I used them aftermarket gaskets,I had problems with the valve cover gasket splitting around one of the holes. Maybe I just over tightend it. I replaced it with OME Suzuki part and have no problems. Good luck at the DMV... let us know how it all goes
                                My Motorcycles:
                                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                                79 1000e (all original)
                                82 850g (all original)
                                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                                X