what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More work on the Dumbwaiter:

A shot of the rear of the platform with the main lifting beam "in place".

Here is what it looks like from the front, as you drive in to the garage.

This is what I came up with to ensure that the rear of the platform lifts at the same rate as the front. Nothing fancy but it is functional.

A close up of the roller support bracket. MAN... that first weld looks like crap. My auto tint helmet is almost too dark to see well... IN THE DARK.

Gotta LUV the plumb bob, eh ?
    All lined up and ready to finish the top main lift bracket that will hold the chain fall.
    Last edited by Dave8338; 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Looks good to me Dave! But of course I demand a video of the finished product in action
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The eldest and I changed the oil on the bike tonight and she even got oil in her hair because she allowed herself to lay in the drain pan when tightening everything up. Yes, I made her pull it away just not enough.

Also tightened up the two bottom exhaust clamps on the h section; not sure how they loosened up and I only discovered it by accident as I started the oil change. Finally, I tightened up the left rear turn signal as that mounting bolt loosened up.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Took the wheels off last night to take them for some new rubber tonight! The back end is well into the wear bars, and the front has around 15,000 miles on it . Either way looking forward to my first ride on the new tires. Gonna try out some Sport Demons .

As a friend says, "Getting new tires is like getting new underwear, feels great to take the sh*tty old ones off."

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
            Looks good to me Dave! But of course I demand a video of the finished product in action
            Hey Pete, will do ! I hope to have the chain fall bracket finsihed up tonight after work and then hang the beast and see what happens.

Comment

Replaced the oil in the secondary gears and rear end on the 850L, polished drain access and painted with crystal clear acrilic.....have since put 150 miles on and will be repainting the cover.

Still strugling with the wall at 5500 in high.
              V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

kerker endcap cleanup

i always forget to take pics so i dont have one of how bad it mounted it to bench motor sanded alot faster and cleaner after a little polishing this is what i ended up with started

Comment

stsrted mounting a custom pair of rear sets, making tabs and welding em to the frame. after some trial and error im going to get the tabs laser cut to fit better and to look nicer. also been in the process of rebuilding the motor. also made up a tail loop for the seat cone to fit on. starting to make some progress now.

Comment

Minor maintenance. Changed spark plugs on two of the motorcycles, lubed the chain on one, and changed gear oil on another (a beemer). Photographed and posted several spare items for sale here and another motorcycle forum to cover my costs. Also, cleaned, oiled and greased three pedal bikes. With those chores out of the way yesterday, hopefully time to ride today.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2012, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Joy, joy, happy, happy

This is a good reason to get lifetime warrantees on your junk.
                      The last time that I had to change this %&#$ was apparently 6 years ago.
                      Thank GOD I used anti-seize on every bolt then.
                      To remove the alternator, you simply have to remove the lower control arm and mount along with the A/C compressor and the alternator serpentine belt slack adjuster wheel. Easy!

Did I forget to mention just how much I LOVE to work on foreign cars?
                      The price you pay for 300 HP out of a 273 CID 32-valve 10.5:1 engine.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                        This is a good reason to get lifetime warrantees on your junk.
                        The last time that I had to change this %&#$ was apparently 6 years ago.
                        Thank GOD I used anti-seize on every bolt then.
                        To remove the alternator, you simply have to remove the lower control arm and mount along with the A/C compressor and the alternator serpentine belt slack adjuster wheel. Easy!
                        Did I forget to mention just how much I LOVE to work on foreign cars?
                        The price you pay for 300 HP out of a 273 CID 32-valve 10.5:1 engine.

Eric
                        Which car is this?
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Eric, did you have to remove the rear bumper as well ?
                          LUV tight spaces and order of operations !

Comment

I had a little time to weld up the main support bracket for my little garage project.

Steel that I had laying around the shop. I had to double up the 1 1/2" square tubing in order to reach the 2000 lb weight goal.

And a coat of paint to keep it official...

Comment

Eric, that is no worse than working on a Goldwing.

Seems that ANYTHING you want to do, except for checking air pressure in the tires, starts with the instruction "remove the seat".

Those with a GS450 will appreciate the instruction, because it involves removing four bolts, which also hold the passenger grab rails.
                              Actually, removing them is no problem. The hard part is getting it all to line up to put the bolts back in.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                                Which car is this?
                                Infinit Q-45 (4.5 liter engine)

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X