No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt a cam chain tensioner and swapped it for the cam chain tensioner/motor oil spigot I had there before.

Fine tuned some adjustments on the carbs and my rear brake.

Just got an eBay buy of a rack of 1977 GS750 carbs for about $75. They are complete, but super crusty. I plan to strip and dip them to see if I can end up with a spare rack. Worst case, I can cannibalize them for extra parts.

Comment

Did the needle shim trick today on my 850G in an effort to correct a one-third-to-mid throttle flat spot. It's still not perfect but it is leaps and bounds better now than it was before. With pretty much all of my riding occuring on twisty two-laned roads, that flat spot was a real drag trying to power through a turn until the main jet kicked in. Now she feels much more confident through the turns. Test ride number two in a few hours when my wife gets home--baby duties and all.

I still need to fully get into the carbs as I think the jets need to be replaced. PO took out the baffles and changed the jetting but he threw in a brand new stock set of jets when I bought it from him back in the spring. Baffles are back in now, I should add.

Comment

Helped diagnose a charging system issue for a friend; the AGM battery that came with his bike 5 years ago is giving up the ghost. AGM or go home!

Comment

Absolutely nothing, i had plans of meeting Steve n workin together on some stuff,life changed those plans,bummed but what can ya do?

Comment

removed tank and re attached a sparkplug wire that keeps coming loose GURR
            anyone else having this problem?

Comment

Made mounting brackets and replaced a couple of missing rubber strips for the luggage rack bought from parts here. Then mounted it all. Am sure glad I don't throw much away as had all materials on hand from the junk saved. Know you all like pictures but have a tendency to be redundant when posting. So a pic and link.

A little polishing and should be good to go.

Comment

Nerobro came by to help me put in progressive fork springs and a Tarozzi fork brace. By "helped me" I mean he pretty much did the whole thing. Mrs. Cinders kept calling me in the house to move some boxes to her car, and during each five minute absence, Nerobro moved the process to next stage.

At one point, I came out and noticed "oh look, I have a fork brace now."

New front end is pretty sweet though.

Comment

My front brake...again.

Took the caliper off to inspect the seal around the piston. No leaks there, so I pulled the stainless line off. I am clearly getting air into the system from somewhere. Just haven't been able to get the brakes to sustain the proper pressure since I installed the stainless line in June. It always seems to respond well the "tie the brake lever back" trick, but within ten minutes--the brake lever is moving at least half way to the throttle before the brakes begin to grab.

Found one connection on the line was a little looser than expected, so I cranked that down.

Bled the MC and reinstalled the line. Significantly less air coming out from the system when I started bleeding the line.

No job is really complete until you've screwed something up, so I broke the cheap plastic stem inside the brake light switch. Ten dollars to replace the switch, so it could be worse.

Just hoping that maybe this time I get the proper pressure from the front brake, but I'm not betting on it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
                    My front brake...again.

Took the caliper off to inspect the seal around the piston. No leaks there, so I pulled the stainless line off. I am clearly getting air into the system from somewhere. Just haven't been able to get the brakes to sustain the proper pressure since I installed the stainless line in June. It always seems to respond well the "tie the brake lever back" trick, but within ten minutes--the brake lever is moving at least half way to the throttle before the brakes begin to grab.

Found one connection on the line was a little looser than expected, so I cranked that down.

Bled the MC and reinstalled the line. Significantly less air coming out from the system when I started bleeding the line.

No job is really complete until you've screwed something up, so I broke the cheap plastic stem inside the brake light switch. Ten dollars to replace the switch, so it could be worse.

Just hoping that maybe this time I get the proper pressure from the front brake, but I'm not betting on it.
                    Could be an internal leak in the MC. May be time to rebuild it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                      Could be an internal leak in the MC. May be time to rebuild it ?
                      I rebuilt it twice this summer. New piston and cup sets don't come cheap, but I figured I'd better get the brakes right.

On the first install I inadvertently folded the internal rubber seal in on itself and it leaked. Probably could have used the first one, but all I knew is that the MC was leaking from around the front seal.

On a good note, I just put 15 miles on the bike and had the best brake feel I've had all summer. It appears that the stainless line connection that I cranked on this morning may have been the issue all along.

It never leaked fluid and I thought if it would pull air in, it would leak fluid out, but that appears not to be the case.

I need a new front brake light switch, but that's an easy fix. Not getting too overboard with excitement yet, but if it feels this good tomorrow the celebration will commence.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
                        I rebuilt it twice this summer. New piston and cup sets don't come cheap, but I figured I'd better get the brakes right.

On the first install I inadvertently folded the internal rubber seal in on itself and it leaked. Probably could have used the first one, but all I knew is that the MC was leaking from around the front seal.

On a good note, I just put 15 miles on the bike and had the best brake feel I've had all summer. It appears that the stainless line connection that I cranked on this morning may have been the issue all along.

It never leaked fluid and I thought if it would pull air in, it would leak fluid out, but that appears not to be the case.

I need a new front brake light switch, but that's an easy fix. Not getting too overboard with excitement yet, but if it feels this good tomorrow the celebration will commence.
                        Funny thing about brakes... they'll suck air LONG before they leak fluid.

As to the better braking, GREAT news. Also, when you ride and are using the front brake, it heats up the fluid enough that trapped air 'tends' to percipitate out and should improve with time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                          Funny thing about brakes... they'll suck air LONG before they leak fluid.

As to the better braking, GREAT news. Also, when you ride and are using the front brake, it heats up the fluid enough that trapped air 'tends' to percipitate out and should improve with time.
                          Wish I had known that about air leaks a LONG time ago. Lesson learned.

Comment

All I did was pull the plugs and read them. They looked good, so we went for a ride. Two rides, actually. Sure feels good to be back in the saddle again.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Today was put the new starter clutch on the 73 Yamaha TX750, adjust the voltage ( has an adjustable regulator ) and got a solid 14.2 at the battery now, all new bulbs in the instrument panel. Then rode it down to Frank Zs place. Put another 150 miles on it today. Frank Z took it for a ride today also..maybe he will post the picture.
                              Cool ride for sure, Chuck. First time on a twin!

'80 GS1000ST
                              '92 ZX-11
                              Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Thanks Frank..you had a cool grin as you came back up your driveway.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X