No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removed the rear tire off the 850 and had it replaced, then reinstalled it. Found out the front tire (new) is comeing apart on my 919, at least I have one to ride.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Painted some more parts on a lawn tractor. Just need to spary satin clear on the dash pad and decals to keep them protected.

Comment

I put some new mirrors on yesterday and I have parts coming in to fix my bad output shaft leak. Hopefully next week I won't have to be wiping the underside of the bike off after every ride.

I may finally get my cafe seat on there too..

Comment

About finished a bracket for my dual 12v outlet. Hope to put it on tomorrow and try out the voltmeter I put on two weeks ago
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Airblade Universal Flyscreen

Just finished installing an Airblade Universal Flyscreen on my '82 GS650E. I knew going in that "universal" means "won't fit any bike", and was prepared for fit issues. Well it didn't even come close, but after a few iterations of bracket bending it fits fine and is angled the way I want it. I didn't like the way the bottom tabs stuck out in front of the headlight, so a heatgun and some careful bending and the tabs are now curved to follow the headlight contour. After a test ride I removed the windscreen and painted the brackets and front face of the screen gloss black. I purchased the Iridium finish because it looked like blue flash in the catalog photo, but the color is actually purple. Nothing wrong with purple, but it doesn't look good against the blue paint of my GS. So it's now painted to match the bars, mirrors, and gages. Wind line is the top of my shoulders. More wind noise for sure, but I wear earplugs anyway and the goal was to get the wind off my upper body for riding to work on these cold New England mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelj_444 View Post
              I guess the original idea was to see what is actually working well enough to USE as parts, but I grow afraid that I may have to collect another parts bike for the parts bike! Bet your not the first person that`s happened too!
              Yes, I feel I have lots of company when I read this thread.
              But we'll see. I've smashed the plastic brake reservoir. It was expected, being sunbleached and it had that powdered look ,you (all!) know?... if I can get the charging system working, I might gofor the new reservoir. I guess it comes down to: If she'll roll and stop with just some tinkering then I might let her riffle through my wallet!

PS I am getting some good tips on this thread. There's something especially good about process while a description after the fact can leave out that thing.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Not sure if it really counts as wrenching, although we did have to unbolt panels of the pool fence to achieve it... but moved the garden shed today from here:

To here:

Leaving this area for the new shed which will be much longer after the fence is moved:

Can't wait to get going on it! This will be for storage, blasting, and spraying...
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Finally

Finally got my R/R replacement wired up and working. Yay for a charging electrical system!

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                    Finally got my R/R replacement wired up and working. Yay for a charging electrical system!
                    Good feeling, isn't it !

Comment

Got 140! After a couple fits and starts, finally can over 85mph. Will lose usage of tripmeter on account of yet ANOTHER 1-year-1-model Suzuki part so i set it to the year the bike was manufactured (While was in the non-wrencher-friendly combo meter cluster, went ahead and cleaned up tach and upper gauges.)

Made trial run with speedo taped to left side bar... iphone taped to brake reservoir, set on speedo app. Results: factory speedo within 2mph accuracy. Special THANKS! to Dale for donor speedo, and to Chuck Hahn for guidance... and sacrificial speedo that i ruined

Note to self: use thick gloves next time when prying bezel off clocks; screwdriver jabbed hand sux.

'80 GS1000ST
                      '92 ZX-11
                      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Sad to say it, but I've been neglecting my girls since replaceing the vetter with the Fuhlmer on SuzyII(my G bagger project). I did replace the passinger window on my dads 40 Chevy street rod(photos on the riding game), swap out the on/off pressure switch on his compressor, and rerlace a double decker bird house with a four story bird condo at the top 30' pole. Whew, got home and saw a couple of request for parts on my 450 parting thread. One was for the right bank coil, not wanting to sell any bad parts I forced myself out to the garage. This was 10:30 last night and not being an electrical guy, the only way I know of telling a good one is to see it work. So after a quick lubing the slides and throttle shaft and plates, I put the carbs on and pods. hooked up the battery and connected all of the harness I could and realized the PO never gave me a key. Out of 8 bikes not a single key would work, so after hooking up the idiot lights part of the dash I could cross terminals and at least get the oil light to come on. Progress! Not knowing which wires to cross to get it to fire, I remove the ign. and flipped it over. Eureka, the Lord opened my mind and my eyes, there is a little screw under neith that removes the switch from the key lock. Mental note, if I ever loose my key. So with this removed a flat head is now the key. Now ad battery charger, fuel supply and strapped on the center pipes from my G, for some semblence of exhaust, a little blast of ether, cross the solenoid and Yeah Baby it's alive, it runs on both cylinders. I don't expect much without a throttle hooked up, so I shut it off quickly not wanting to melt my tie down strap. So now I don't know if I should keep parting it out or sell it, whats left, for some one to bring back to life. That is the ultimate goal of having these bikes, especially having one with a title. In Fl. thats golden. It is too small for me and I don't think it would be a good trainer for my kids, so I've got some thinking to do.

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                        Yes, I feel I have lots of company when I read this thread.
                        But we'll see. I've smashed the plastic brake reservoir. It was expected, being sunbleached and it had that powdered look ,you (all!) know?... if I can get the charging system working, I might gofor the new reservoir. I guess it comes down to: If she'll roll and stop with just some tinkering then I might let her riffle through my wallet!

PS I am getting some good tips on this thread. There's something especially good about process while a description after the fact can leave out that thing.
                        I can relate, but I bought mine to make cash for my other projects, there is nothing to rifle through in my wallet.
                        Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                        Is that a 50amp cbr R/R? Interesting mounting location, I was bidding on one last week for SuzyIII, but lost out trying to increase my bid by phone. Why there?
                        Last edited by gsrick; 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM.
                        GSRick
                        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                          Is that a 50amp cbr R/R? Interesting mounting location, I was bidding on one last week for SuzyIII, but lost out trying to increase my bid by phone. Why there?
                          It's the FH014AA. I think it is a 50amp unit. It's over-kill in that regard for my bike since everything is stock in terms of electrical on my bike.

The location is due to size. It's much larger and the fins are taller so it didn't fit in the stock location. I could have wedged it in behind the airbox but I was concerned about heat. In the tail there should be plenty of air flow. And there was plenty of room. I'm not super happy with the location but it works and I'm not sure where else I could put it without putting in pods and removing the airbox. Something I'm not interested in doing.

Comment

disassebled and cleaned the insides of the 73 Yamaha TX750s forks and changed the seals...rides nicer now for sure.
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-05-2012, 04:49 PM.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Replaced the swing arm bearings on my 78 1000

The old ones were far past usable. Used a blind hole bearing puller to get the old ones one, came out easier than I had expected. Thought I would need heat, large hammers, etc... The new ones went in within seconds. Note of importance, the local Suzuki dealer priced out bearings for $22 a piece, the local bearing shop....$7 each. Even online I can't get them near that cheap. I've ordered a set naturally, I'll post about their quality when they come in but I imagine they will be identical to the OEM stuff.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                                Got 140! After a couple fits and starts, finally can over 85mph. Will lose usage of tripmeter on account of yet ANOTHER 1-year-1-model Suzuki part so i set it to the year the bike was manufactured (While was in the non-wrencher-friendly combo meter cluster, went ahead and cleaned up tach and upper gauges.)

Made trial run with speedo taped to left side bar... iphone taped to brake reservoir, set on speedo app. Results: factory speedo within 2mph accuracy. Special THANKS! to Dale for donor speedo, and to Chuck Hahn for guidance... and sacrificial speedo that i ruined

Note to self: use thick gloves next time when prying bezel off clocks; screwdriver jabbed hand sux.
                                Awesome. Isn't it nice to have a real speedometer instead of the gov-regulated 85 mph ones? When I was looking for a replacement for my 83 unit, I had to laugh when someone offered a 82 unit for $100. Why in the world would I want to go back to a stupid unit for that much money? Anyway, congrats, and welcome to the real world.

Comment

Working...
                                X