what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpep View Post
    I like it as well, but I am a little unclear on how it works. Your gas/petrol container will have to be inverted for the fuel to flow out. But that means any vent opening on the container top (which will be the bottom in this use) would have to be sealed shut which would create a vacuum above the fuel. No air in = no gas out. Did you not have to make some mods to the container as well?
    yep erm this is going to be a problem which ever way I looka at it, though a squirell had moded a hole in the corner (hence the cap being spare), but the plan is to take away the hassle of changeing around gas from one to the other and as you rightfully point out theres going to be a promlem but realisticle even if the can is less than half full its only a matter of minutes before it starts to fail, looks like I'll have to drill a second small hole and fit a small metal tube up it

edit..... the mark II... I just need to find my glue gun to fasten it in and see if the glue stands up to petrol
    Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
      edit..... the mark II... I just need to find my glue gun to fasten it in and see if the glue stands up to petrol
      Very good. I like the concept of everything being contained in/on the container cap--just put it in a drawer until you need it. Show us a few pics of it in use when you get to that point.
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Just got done replacing the starter in the Suburban...16º outside...
        My garage is heated, but the truck don't fit....

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

fitted coils on to the 750,then the points assembly plate,but the cam is nowhere to be found!now i know i put everything in the same box (ice cream tub)how come stuff just get's up and go'es missing

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
            Just got done replacing the starter in the Suburban...16º outside...
            My garage is heated, but the truck don't fit....

Hey, Bob,
            Cant even get that up on ramps, can you? Or maybe dont have to.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Just the blessing of having it on a dry surface is a great thing... Then let the heater blow whatever warmth it can muster as your under it wrenching. In that cold, anything is better than nothing!!!
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

New years eve 1991 I had to replace a 6.2L injection pump on my 1984 suburban out in the driveway. It was 10° below outside.

Cold, very cold.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Today I worked on my baby

Hey what's up?

Today I finally got a chance to work on my GS. Whoo!!!!. Poor bike was held hostage in the garage for months and finally got some attention. :P Nice day finally 61 degrees, no HW and I had to pack and move so it was an excuse of a day to finally buckle down and work on it.

I had an oil problem where there was no oil pressure in the engine after changing out clutch springs and swapping some gaskets and filters. I tore into it today and cleaned some gunk out of the oil channel in the clutch side of the cover. I think that was blocked with gunk that dried while it was apart while re-working the clutch springs. Got them apart, and discovered that I needed more clutch parts. They were on back order, so it sat for a while. Anyway re-doing my old work I got pressure back... The light is still on, but where the sensor is is a little oil pressure thingy that I could plug a gauge into and it read the spec, where as it was under speck before and now its reading pressure as you would expect. Now I think that its just a faulty sensor... I rode it towards the mountains until the sun went down this evening and enjoyed every minute of it.

Oh, I also got a Hey is that a GS? Oh the TWIN!!!! I had one of those, man that thing looks great man nice job. So that made my day.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Hey, Bob,
                    Cant even get that up on ramps, can you? Or maybe dont have to.
                    Nope...didn't have to jack it up at all...just slid under and did the work...
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Polished the swing arm on the XL project bike.

Comment

I "wrenched" on my living room ceiling this weekend....50 year old plaster that doesnt hold paint. suckishness
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

No wrenching today, but I'm happy to report that my wrenching over the weekend did the trick

There is no oil weeping from the breather cover or new catch tank after the commute to work and back today. First time since the rebuild I've degreased the engine, taken it for a run, and had no oil weeping from the breather cover. I like it

The one thing I didn't get to wrench on over the weekend was my needles, but I received the shims today finally (just after the weekend, typical) but a close look says there's about a 75% chance I can get the slides out without removing the carbs from the bike. Might tackle that later this week and see how half a notch on the needles goes...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

More wrenching tonight... I bit the bullet and decided it was time to shim the needles.

With the constant rain at the moment I'm riding even more than normal at low/part throttle which is where it runs the worst with the needles up one notch. So tonight I dropped the needle back to the stock mid position and added a 0.020" shim to raise it only half a notch. See how that goes tomorrow.

The fun thing is on the 450 you can get the slides out without removing the carbs, meaning no messing with the throttle cable

Right slide coming out:

Left slide coming out:

I added the shim in this photo before moving the E clip, but you can sort of make out the shim added between the washer and E clip:

And I discovered that the Alpha Sports parts fiche is incorrect as it shows the washer above the E clip and spacer, which would result in the whole needle assembly being pushed through the spring as the E clip is smaller than the spring's diameter.

This is the correct assembly from the factory manual:

The commute tomorrow is the test run...

sigpic

Comment

More shimming tonight.

Running half a notch up from stock today shows she's a bit more eager to go from about 1/2 throttle up, but around the 1/4 throttle mark there's definitely a flat spot and hesitation, so a bit lean at that point. Given most of the ride home was at that throttle opening, I also noticed she was a bit warming than normal when I got home, so I can't have that!

Anyway, tonight I put the 0.030" shims in which makes it 3/4 of a notch up. Hopefully that sorts out the flat spot without taking too much of the eagerness away from the more open throttle.

I'm half expecting the bogging off idle to come back a little, so to attempt to compensate for that I wound the mixture screws in a quarter of a turn.

See how she goes tomorrow, but if there's still that flat spot then I'll have to go back to one notch up and put up with the bogging off idle.

The real answer is going to be a different needle, so I took some measurements tonight so I can compare with what's available.

sigpic

Comment

Finished up my electrical component relocation/tidy-up, today:

Before:

Relocated to the tray I made, and all wired up:

..and the After shot:
                                1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                                sigpic
                                My GS550 Build

Comment

Working...
                                X