No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed a dynojet stage 1 kit in the RF900 carburetors. Drilling those plugs out that cover the mixture screws was as PITA. Everything went back together with no problems. Now I need to start putting the engine back together.

Comment

I've been tinkering the bugs out of my bikes of late.
      My tach cable unscrewed itself out from the crimp on my 1100, I recrimped it and the pot metal just fell apart, so I replaced it.
      Same thing goes with my 1000 tach cable, I cleaned it where it crimps (I had already crimped it once and it screwed back out) so cleaned and red lock tited it, then recrimped it so far it's working well.

I've had this annoying noise on my 1000 for the longest time, I decided to do something about it, but I just couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. It's a pinging sound, thought for the longest time it was the float in the gas tank slapping the side of the tank when I hit bumps. But then it disappeared with the slightest of pressure on the front brake. I decided it was the right caliper, pulled pins regreased and re O-ringed, still there. Worked the left caliper, still there. Sprayed a little grease around the brake pad on the right, still there, so I sprayed a little grease on the left pad, bingo, it was gone. Wow, sure is nice not to hear or wonder where that noise is coming from.

Bought this cam chain tensioner for my 1100 sometime ago. I liked it because the '82 and '83 GS1100E's have plastic knobs held on with a nut secured with lock tite. Well to get the lock tite loose you have to heat it, then you melt the knob. You try to loosen the nut without heat and the knob shatters, so I got this one because it had a nice metal knob like my 1000.
      Put it on the bike and it leaked, not allot but a little. I lived with it.
      Then I saw this post about turning the cam plunger lock screw a minimum of a quarter turn, I only turned mine just enough to hear the plunger let go when I installed it. So, I decided to tighten that screw then back it out a quarter turn. So, I did, and wouldn't you know it, oil was pouring from around that screw. I had a new O-ring for it, so I removed the tensioner and took out the screw and this O-ring I think was a plastic washer of some sort, it wasn't rubbery at all, but hard as nails.
      It broke just taking it off. Put the new one on. Then I decided to look at the oil seal and the part that fits into it under the spring. I couldn't believe it. That surface is just so rough and uneven, had little dimples and scratches, I mean no wonder these things leak I thought. It was not a machined smooth surface at all. I'm thinking it came from the factory like that. Anyway put it back on the bike and no leaks as yet, fingers crossed.
      I had a new seal for it, but after looking at that rough surface I thought why bother, probably wasn't the seal but the surface should it leak.

Now here's that little O-ring that came out of it all crushed (far right) I think it was a piece of plastic someone put it there, doesn't matter, it failed to seal. Those two fiber washers (one broken) is the early model petcock gas tank screw washers off my 1100, they dry out and one broke just loosening the screw, I replaced those with the new rubber over metal ones. The teflon O-ring is a temp substitute gas tank petcock washer I could use if I have to.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Holy 1st Generation Turn Signal Control Units (TSCU's).
        These little buggers cost $342.48 each @ Boulevard Suzuki.

Today was testing day for these and it doesn't include the one on the bike, each and everyone had something different going on with it, air cleaner box was pulled and reinstalled for each one. Needless to say I made allot of trips around the block. You have to ride the bike to see if that self cancelling feature works. Hard to believe something that was as mass produced as these could have such a high failure rate without a more reliable replacement made available.

I dedcided to change out my oil filter cover on the GS1000. I decided to put a '78 cover on it and replace the stock '79 cover. I did this because the '78 cover has a drain bolt that the '79 doesn't. I consider it a small upgrade, but I can drain the oil and change the filter every other oil change.
        Here's the stock '79 GS1000E cover.

And here's the replacement '78 GS1000 cover installed on my bike. Why Suzuki took a step backwards I just don't know. Notice the drain bolt!

Speaking of oil filter covers here's the one on my '82 GS1100E. It's a bit unusual in the fact it has two drain bolts. It would be easy to install a oil cooler on it, and perhaps back in it's day it had one. But for the life of me I can't figure out what those 3 little allen screws are for.
        I wonder if this bike has got a kit in it? Very fast.
        sigpic
        Steve

Comment

Steve, not sure on the allen screws, but the 2 bolts in the cover are for an external oil cooler. As are the two outboard bolts. If you install an 1150 cover or mod your cover you can use the outboard bolts, otherwise you connect the cooler to the bolts in the cover itself. The outboard bolts are from the factory, the ones in the cover itself are not factory.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Steve, not sure on the allen screws, but the 2 bolts in the cover are for an external oil cooler. As are the two outboard bolts. If you install an 1150 cover or mod your cover you can use the outboard bolts, otherwise you connect the cooler to the bolts in the cover itself. The outboard bolts are from the factory, the ones in the cover itself are not factory.
            I wish I wrote down that part number when I had it off. Those 3 allens do actually feed a port. Hope they don't back out. This bike could've had a oil cooler on it in the past. Who knows what else, I think I'm the fifth owner.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

I first saw that setup on Joe Nardy's 1100E. He has a Hayden cooler, IIRC. Not sure who drilled the cover for him or if he got it when he purchased/installed the cooler.

Comment

I worked on my rear wheel fender well. I hope its good enough for NHRA.

Comment

At long last. Began cleaning out the garage. GS and scoot are back in their rightful place. Still need to get to cleaning the workbench in the back though....
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I changed the oil in the car and put in a new PCV valve. My car is a known oil burner and I check it religiously, I can go for like 500-800 miles with only a little burned and then in one day lose a 1/4 on the dipstick. Hopefully this will help somewhat... I can deal with burning oil but having large amounts randomly disappear is really frustrating.

On the bike I lapped the intake valves, the tool I have here was too large for the exhaust.

I can't believe the car has 180k on it now... It needs some TLC though. The axles are bad again. They got replaced at 80,000 but started vibrating a little at 120k, and are finally getting worse. The rest of the front suspension could use some refreshing too. Im gonna need a new short block to get rid of the oil burning but I don't have the $$$ for it right now.

Oh and don't ever buy an red car if you don't have a garage... And it Hondas infinite wisdom they didn't add clear coat to a three stage red paint to save money . You don't notice the fade too much if the car is clean but under fluorescent lights .

Comment

Now that the weather is finally warming up a bit and I made up a valve spring compressor over the weekend, I finished re-assembling the cylinder head for Flyboys GK.
                      I'll stuff it back on the bike in the next few days if nothing else takes priority.

The required pictures...

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Got all the parts primed and ready to paint, just waiting for the dust storms to end here. Been soooo nasty here the last week or so.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Been cleaning a set of carbs for an 80, 550L. The last one just went into the dip, the other 3 are assembled, preset, and racked.
                          V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            Now that the weather is finally warming up a bit and I made up a valve spring compressor over the weekend, I finished re-assembling the cylinder head for Flyboys GK.
                            I'll stuff it back on the bike in the next few days if nothing else takes priority.

The required pictures...

Looks Awesome Dale!
                            sigpic
                            Steve

Comment

Polished rear MC & Rod to look like chrome (Yea I have some time to kill.. lol) rebuilt rear MC, flushed the old brake fluids out, compression test & new plugs. Pretty much going through the whole bike since I just got it.

Comment

Ported and polished my Yamaha blaster jug, High comp head gaskets, top end rebuild, re packed exhaust replaced all the seals due to a lean condition.
                                Put on the high comp recut head.
                                This thing is sick fast now,Looking for 7th gear, front end in the air even in 6th.
                                This blasty has gotten real nasty now.
                                Came home with watery eyes and a snotty nose a booty gobblin grin.
                                next up the work on the G/K, 1 project down 3 to go, well 4 but thas the sled and last to be rebuilt.
                                Wrenchin is a blast

Comment

Working...
                                X