what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First test ride on Trixy... GREAT !

Still have to finish up some things but she is alive, well, and has logged 3hrs of run time, yesterday.

SUPER smooth over the bumps and will get torn apart again, this winter, and put back into a factory or better condition. Now... if Honda would have only made one like this from the start, I could have saved a pile of time and cash.

Don't be too concerned with the seat at this point, I'm having a custom cover made that will look exactly like the factory 250R covers but will say 185 SXR instead.

No, it may be a 'bit' larger than a 185cc machine.

Comment

Looks like fun Dave! Did you ever get your dumb waiter finished?
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
        Looks like fun Dave! Did you ever get your dumb waiter finished?
        Not completely. Still have to weld up a few bushings and anchor the base plates to the floor. Got too cold last fall...

Comment

Tightened steering stem nut 1/4 turn, torqued associated hardware, made a considerable difference on a rough road (part of VT Rte 125,
          fast downhill sweeper section), changed oil.
          sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
          '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
          '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
          '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
          '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
          '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
          '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
          '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
          '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
          '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            Not completely. Still have to weld up a few bushings and anchor the base plates to the floor. Got too cold last fall...
            Aaah I see! I shall expect to see complete pic's soon then

sigpic

Comment

My back. I was trying to give the bike a makeover. Removed the cargo box and almost got the crashguard off. Starting mounting the new saddlebags. Even up on the jack it wasn't high enough and I had to bend more than was comfortable. Now I can't stand up straight.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck c View Post
                My back. I was trying to give the bike a makeover. Removed the cargo box and almost got the crashguard off. Starting mounting the new saddlebags. Even up on the jack it wasn't high enough and I had to bend more than was comfortable. Now I can't stand up straight.
                Finished sawing the crashbars off. It looks a lot smaller without them and the huge rear rack box. I have to get the saddlebags on then I really need to work on those carbs.

Comment

This weekend I finished up some wiring on the GS450:

Shindengen R/R installed last summer, and I just performed the coil relay mod which I think has finally fixed my intermittant spark issue on cyl. 2! I tied grounds for R/R, igniter, and coil relay to a common frame bolt, then wired a ring terminal from that point directly to battery (-).

I relocated the factory igniter under the right side cover, everything fits under both sides:

Finally, I installed a Tarrozzi fork brace:

The old girl is running better than she has in years! Now I'm just waiting on my SS brake lines from Z1 and it'll be time to ride.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM. Reason: fix spacing and add additional info

Comment

Paint is done

Finished clear coating this last weekend. Got some body parts back on the bike so far. Need to reinstall the fuel gauge float and petcock and put the tank back on and install the other body parts. Install the rear rack, tighten some bolts here and there and set up the front end and tighten all the clamp bolts and axle nut. Add gas and go vroom soon.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      Finished clear coating this last weekend.
                      You do know pictures are required don't you?
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks

Yes I`ll be going with aftermarket pinstripes. No decals on my bike. It`s solid black. Just wanted to accent it a little.
                        Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                        Is this going to be done with aftermarket pin striping, or do you plan on using factory decal's?

If it's just hand applied pin striping tape, automotive dealers have been doing that for years with nothing applied over the top to protect them. Just try not to spill 'petrol' on them.

The side covers on my '82 GS850G didn't have clear over the decals.
                        sigpic1981 gs1000G Black
                        1969 Honda Dream Apart and someday will be painted!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

Comment

Or if you prefer the gold and red stripes that were on the 80 850's, I can get you detailed pictures upon request.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Put ANOTHER clutch cable in the Turbo Coupe last night. That makes three in the last five years.

Only thing I can find wrong is that the cable strands (all but this last one) are too thick / stiff and run completely unprotected where the lower mount runs through the trans and back to the clutch fork.

I'm getting fairly quick at it. Can be done in about 1/2 hour, now.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              You do know pictures are required don't you?

Yes, pics will be forth coming when it's done.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Finally dug into my starter to work out why it hasn't wanted to crank lately... turns out apart from 32 years of accumulated filth (actually it wasn't too bad), two of the stationary magnets aren't so stationary any more...

Brushes aren't perfect but are serviceable.

Had to get to work and back today and wasn't sure what to do, so cleaned it up, polished the commutator, and put it back together last night just for today.

Of course I only got one crank out of it this morning and ended up push starting it for the trip to work and back and I got a tip that JB Weld will do the trick at holding those magnets in place.

I got the go ahead to work from home tomorrow so tonight I could yank it again and get the JB Weld done so it can cure properly overnight as I really would like to be able to hit the button on Saturday when I'm meeting the Kat guys.

Anyway, turns out that one crank I got this morning did wonders for one of the magnets:

So I just cleaned the housing and the back of the magnets as best I could with some wax and grease remover and then some methylated spirits just to ensure there's nothing to impede the JB Weld, then I stuck them back in place and lined the broken one up as best I could (it looks out of alignment in this pic but it's not really):

Fingers crossed it all cures ok and holds them so I can have a fully functioning starter again. Push starting ain't fun!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X