Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wally View Post
    Installed new plug leads on my Uly.

Took about 3 weeks to get them from the States (problem with riding a bike that is different or less popular over here...)

Then the mission to get them fitted...

First, the old rear lead:

After removing the air box cover, inner air box, filter base plate and left hand engine air scoop:

The space to get to the rear spark plug:

But, it is in and she fires on both cylinders!

Also stared reassembly of the 450's carbs.

Hope to get that installed next weekend and also get to leaking front master cylinder.
    Wow I would've been cursing that design for hours Wally, what a PITA!

Glad you got it sorted though and looking forward to seeing the results of your 450's carb work
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

are there issues with the stock carb on these? I've heard about the starter issue of course...
      No real issues like with the starter, but I was having carb problems anyway and found them pigs to work on, especially removing them to strip and clean, then re-fitting. The Moggie Minor SU is such a simple basic carb and a doddle to get at to adjust, also easy to remove and refit.
      "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
      1978 GS750
      1979 GS750 chop
      1979 GS550
      2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
      2000 Enfield Bullet 500
      1992 XV750 Virago
      2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Put new rotors and pads on the front of the car. Changed the brake fluid too. Was going to do the rears but freakin VW put a Triplesquare/XZN bolt on the rear caliper and no one in town had those, so they have to wait for another day.

After breaking/braking (ha!) them in.

Comment

My neighbor has a 2000 Honda Sabre (v-twin, 1100cc, I believe) that was in storage for two years with a full tank of gas. Takes it out of storage a couple weeks ago and is surprised that it didn't run right. Only idles on choke, backfires like crazy. "Ah-ha!" I said to myself. "Thanks to all the advice given to me by fabulous members of the GS Resources Forum, I think I know what the problem is."

Took a week or two, but I eventually convince him to push it across the street into my garage this afternoon. This will be the second motorcycle I've worked on. The neighbor is good with home remodeling, electrical, and general handyman stuff but likes to ride more than wrench.

So, we dig into it. Remove the tank, some stuff on top of the carbs, then the carbs. There's all kinds of nastiness from the old gas in there. CV carbs, so they're very similar in design to my GS850 Mikunis. Just as I suspected, both pilot jets were completely plugged. (Even when clean, the jet in them is really teeny-tiny.)

Carbs cleaned, everything put back together, tank back on, we fire the beast up. No backfiring. Hooray! After a minute, I disengage the choke and it idles... just... beautifully. He was amazed, and grateful that he didn't have to take it into a shop and have them charge a few hundred bucks for something fairly simple (if time-consuming). But I was mostly just relieved that my educated guess panned out!
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Took the rear wheel off the bike and put in all new wheel bearings, new sprockets, and new 530 xring chain. Had to drill out a few phillips head bolts in the engine covers and I found about 10 pounds of gravel and oil mud stuck up under the front sprocket cover. Also, the grease in the ball detent assembly for my shift lever looks more like really dry wax. I also put on new Galfer brake lines in the front. I stole the double banjo bolt from the coupling and used it to attach two full length lines to the master cylinder. It took forever to bleed them out, but I think it's going to be a big improvement considering a couple of the banjo bolts I removed to replace them were pretty plugged up. I also made a custom bracket for some new aftermarket gauges I got, but it looks fairly sloppy and the cables don't reach. I'll try something different tomorrow. I also painted the rear wheel. I'm letting it dry tonight. Tomorrow everything goes back together. I've got some new brake pads for the rear and new grips up front. I'm going to take a look at shortening the throttle cables to fit my new handlebars. Wish me luck.

Comment

I spent 6 hours with all the wrong tools in the middle of butt-fvck nowhere at a 'scrap yard' that should have been in Deliverence trying to pull a transmission out of a car that was hanging in the air.
              Oh yeah, and the ground under it was all sloppy wet black mud.

proof.

I got everything unbolted eventually using SAE sized tools on a metric car, except the 13mm nuts holding the torque converter on to the flex plate/flywheel.

So tomorrow I have to drive another hour and a half, each way, to finish getting it out.

Then I get to come home and remove the one from my car and install this one.

FML

Comment

Pete, that is the downside to the bike being so compact (with fuel in frame and oil in swing arm). I have exhaust wrap on to help with the heat on my right leg in summer (another downside). To get the headers off for ceramic coating means either dropping the motor or dropping the whole rear suspension...

Fitted air filter after cleaning and reoiling and guess what!? Now the front cylinder is not firing...

If I can't find the problem I will have to take it in...

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                  Pete, that is the downside to the bike being so compact (with fuel in frame and oil in swing arm). I have exhaust wrap on to help with the heat on my right leg in summer (another downside). To get the headers off for ceramic coating means either dropping the motor or dropping the whole rear suspension...

Fitted air filter after cleaning and reoiling and guess what!? Now the front cylinder is not firing...

If I can't find the problem I will have to take it in...
                  Aaaaargh man I know you love that bike Wally... but geeeez! That'd almost be worth taking it in just to avoid the pain

I can highly recommend ceramic coating on a pipe in that location though as I have personal experience with that

sigpic

Comment

I pulled the air box, carbs and intake boots of the '82 GS850.

I dismantled the air box and cleaned/prepped and painted the rusted metal portion in anticipation of getting the new boots this week. I'll open the carbs up tomorrow.

I also started taking the gauge cluster apart for replacement. The Tach and speedo are defunct. I bought a cluster from a member here and should have it next week. I hope it's not going to be a huge deal as the "new" panel is not exactly the same. All the same lights and gauges just a different configuration. Mine has the fuel level meter top center and the new one is on the tach. The oil, side stand, high beam and neutral lights are all in different places as well. I hope it's just a matter of changing some connectors around, but I'll figure it out one way or another.

Comment

Lined two tanks with POR 15

Comment

Wrenching .. then at sink spraying self in face

Taking off tank, disconnect the gas line from petcock, like I have done many many times before, and I hear and see gas spritzing out right at my face. My brain says "hey, that should not happen, gas is not pressurized, that never happen before, what did I just do? oh, close eyes, close eyes".

ahhh

arughhhh

got gas in eyes, one more than other
                        (I think I was looking over top of my glasses, had face real close to see better)
                        So I am trying to make my way into house with eyes closed, one eye open only a little bit, one eye is hurting.
                        Get to sink and start splashing water into eyes.
                        Tried to use sprayer, but that was too much, so continued to splash water for a couple minutes.
                        Sat down for a while. THen went back and splash water in eyes for a while longer.
                        Need to go do it again.

Maybe factors that made this happen this time:
                        - Gas tank nearly empty (so more air to pressureize it with temperature change)
                        - I had just got back from ride just a few minutes prior.
                        - Did not really have good light, did not bother to go get a light, but so had face real close to see better.

Need to go check tourque on cam cover bolts, and get back together, and go for ride. Plan is to meet up with Greg78GS750 in Muskegon.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          Taking off tank, disconnect the gas line from petcock, like I have done many many times before, and I hear and see gas spritzing out right at my face. My brain says "hey, that should not happen, gas is not pressurized, that never happen before, what did I just do? oh, close eyes, close eyes".

ahhh

arughhhh

(I think I was looking over top of my glasses, had face real close to see better)
                          So I am trying to make my way into house with eyes closed, one eye open only a little bit, one eye is hurting.
                          Tried to use sprayer, but that was too much, so continued to splash water for a couple minutes.
                          Sat down for a while. THen went back and splash water in eyes for a while longer.
                          Need to go do it again.

- Did not really have good light, did not bother to go get a light, but so had face real close to see better.

Need to go check tourque on cam cover bolts, and get back together, and go for ride. Plan is to meet up with Greg78GS750 in Muskegon.

Ouch!!! Need to add safety glasses to the list . I keep a bottle of saline handy in the garage in case I get something in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

ahhh

arughhhh

Need to go do it again.

The only way that can happen is if the gas tank vent line is plugged.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Spent 7 hours re-configuring the automated phone scripts for our Prime Care clinic today so our patients can hopefully get better service when calling into the different teams. Of course, technical changes are only good for so much, the clinic needs to fix a lot of their processes and our veterans need to actually use the menus I created.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Got my Motion Pro R1 throttle tube this week and put it on today, definitely a much shorter throttle action! Feels like it's adjusted up nicely now so first test ride on the commute tomorrow.

You can definitely see the diameter difference that gives it the much shorter action:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X