No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holy cow!,Pete...and that tire was new in May wasn't it? so how many km did you get? 10k? or so?

Comment

Pulled the engine out of my 1100L and cleaned up the frame for the new one.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        holy cow!,Pete...and that tire was new in May wasn't it? so how many km did you get? 10k? or so?
        Yep it sure was! Try a bit over 5500km's

While I love the handling and traction the Demons are giving me, I'm thinking I'm going to have to find something a little firmer in the centre for the commute. At $155 a pop for a rear it gets expensive!

Of course I could always lay off the right wrist a bit... but that would be boring
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Today I cut some aluminium angle and then cut some old plywood I had laying around. From a very far distance the result looks something like side covers, only made out of found materials. Maybe the coat of black paint will help, but I doubt it. Luckily these are just the base layer for my future project of custom fairings, so they don't have to do anything except stay on at speed. Overall, not bad for costing me nothing.

Pics... maybe later.

Comment

Prepped for winter storage - changed the oil, drained the carbs, topped up the gas, took the battery out and finally replaced the o-ring and seal of that leaking tach cable!
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Antifreeze and Oil

I drained, flushed and filled with New antifreeze an 820 John Deere Tractor, a 1020 John Deere Tractor and a Ford F150 pickup. Should be good for winter!
              Changed oil on big Yamaha generator and put a charge on the battery, and changed oil and filter on my Jeep and the 1020 John Deere.
              It was a greasy Sunday - but I feel good about it! Gives me a chance to look at all hoses and oil leaks (If your stuff is as old as mine, there is an oil seep somewhere!)
              I also fill everything with stabilized fuel to keep moisture down. on the gas tractor, I use non-ethanol fuel, filled to the top!
              So i am ready for cold temps.
              Which is what they call "hubris," actually writing down the issuance of being ready guarantees that something i have not foreseen will blow, freeze, burn-up, or just croak!
              Ozarkdrb

Comment

Re-fit my alternator case topped up with oil, discovered a leak in the gasket re-connected the wiring and tried to turn the engine over through the starter button... and nothing happened ah well got my mechanic mate coming over Saturday.

Comment

Installed the new engine in Suzie Q and checked the carbs, very clean even after sitting for 4 years.
                  Put a charger on my 919 so I can ride it tomorrow.
                  V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I had one of my amps open today to clean the pots and switches. Sounds pretty nice with Snap, Crackle, and Pop banished! It's a '67 Fender Twin Reverb.

The Marshall 50w reissue needs more than I can do for it

When I start gigging again maybe.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I pulled my cam chain tensioner to see why it wasn't working. At some point during its 31 years my bike must have sat unused for a long period of time because the internal parts of the tensioner had actually oxidized badly enough to lock it up tight. So I broke it free, cleaned it up and put it back in. Works perfectly now. Only problem is the small almost ticking noise that I was hearing is still there. I'm beginning to believe that it's an exhaust leak by the head. It's very hard to locate but seems to be coming from the center of the motor in the front near the header.

Comment

In theory I should be back on two wheels today

Got my parts yesterday, new sprocket nut installed but with the old lock washer as it's discontinued:

Did my best to get the old lock washer pounded and levered up to one face of the nut, will have to check that in a few days and make sure it's still ok. I did add some blue loctite this time around as well.

I also installed the new clutch cable but given it was after 9pm when I finished the best I could do was roll the bike back and forth about a foot and it seemed like it was doing its job. Will find out for sure when I leave for work this morning

And new bearings and dust seal collected as well ready for Saturday when I'll stick those in and get the new rear tyre on.

sigpic

Comment

FINALLY my keys came in the mail today. I went out to get the long shank cut for my ignition. And...... No-one can cut it to match my short shank because they are all on some dumb modern cassette style cutter.

So I got out my precision files. And took a crash course in how to handcut my own keys. Got it right the first time and now my ignition can turn. Time to get it back on the bike and finish my electrical rewiring to see if she'll turn over for me.

Comment

I found a friend for my bike.

Comment

Pulled my back wheel out last night in preparation for the new rear tyre which will be being fitted today and to do the wheel bearings.

This is what's left of the supposedly sealed sprocket carrier bearing, and you can see where a bit of the metal holding the balls in has broken off... can't have expose balls!

sigpic

Comment

Today I hit the fuseblock and a bunch of connectors with Naval Jelly and got rid of some green crud. Not a complete job by a long shot, but good enough for an afternoon of casual fiddling.

Afterward I took her out for a ride and the old girl just wanted to play the whole time, so I guess I did a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X