No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed the coils and hooked up most of the electrics on Suzie Q. Not much left to do until I find out if she runs.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Finished welding up the trailer body - moved the axle line back 2 inches and took it for a blast up and down the local back roads. Currently wearing 8" wheels as the 10" originals are now difficult to find tyres for. The re-location of the axle has made it more stable and secure - it was fine before, but unloaded was a little skittish. This is rock-solid at 70mph.
      The original salvaged swivelling towhook has seen better days and I need to molish something better.
      Next up, some bracketry for the mudguards and some paint and body panels.

---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Synchronized the carbs and tried to tweak the idle mixture with the Carbtune but I think I did it wrong as I now have a hanging idle that drops down to nothing. Off to read about the adjustment procedures again.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Well got the old girl to fire. Charging the bat right now.
          V
          Gustov
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          80 GS 550 L
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

spent a week in the garage at last

Started work on getting my 78 1000 back ready for the road for the first time in 12 years,

(Been in a bad way (health) for a while took a year to fine problem (broken vertebras in my neck and waiting for surgery)
            had one fixed and got told the others will get done once healed, year later got told I can do a little more than nothing, well I broke what they had done within a month, back on waiting list etc etc ,
            but I'm not in as much pain as I have had so decided to tinker.

Had found a supposedly gen 4-2 exhaust which looked good in the photos. it arrived in a sorry state. (both y joints rotten).
            made up two new y joint and managed to fit them took 4 days of foul language and blood sweat and tears but did it much to the relief of everyone in ear shot.

Did the oil bits and bobs and rigged up a temp fuel tank charged the battery etc and yesterday added fuel (waited for carbs to fill) full choke turned the key and hit the magic go button.

Well within 1/4 of a turn she burst into life and revved up to 2000 rpm I quickly eased the choke down so she sat at 1200 rpm and was happy and smiling again.

Ran better than I hoped .

Once warm turned choke off ,
            That's when I heard it a rattle/rumble
            once over 1000 rpm nice anything under it comes back, lower the rpm the louder it got.

Have heard about clutch basket rattles etc never had a gs with one tho (been lucky).

So pulled in the clutch and tried dropping it into gear hmmm didn't go (frozen clutch)
            switched of bike engaged 1st gear pulled in clutch hit the starter bike started wheel spinning clutch still in pressed rear brake bike stalled.

Lent her over on side stand (wheels on blocks) and cracked the clutch cover bolts (yay) all came loose, removed foot peg and brake leaver removed clutch cover,
            removed the clutch spring bolt and worked my way in placing every thing in order.

All came apart very well was going great till I checked the basket and noticed not only did it have loose springs but a big crack it basket

Had a old motor laying around (Smokey and bottom end shot) but knew it had a good clutch so pulled it out got the lad to help lift it onto the bench and started to crack the screws to remove the clutch cover all stripped but managed to get them after a while.

As before removed bolts plates etc and then found that superman had been in there to tighten the clutch shaft nut, well ended up breaking a finger of the basket but got it off.

Checked the basket over and it was like new no wear or play etc etc apart from now a broken finger

So two stuffed baskets very little money and none to be found locally (new Zealand)

Have put the broken finger basket in with best plates, springs etc started tightening the clutch spring bolts to correct torque and one seems to be stripped.

Stuff it put it back together anyway checked that it works (great)

Started bike no rattle (great)

went for a small ride down the road got to the corner and little to no brakes
            Got it home safe n sound

Now rests in shed till I can find clutch basket and master cylinder's and calliper kits for a price I can afford.

Hope your week in the garage has been better.

Comment

Restacked the clutch basket 4 times in my brothers YZ125 because I couldn't get it to not drag when the bike was running.

Did you know if your clutch is dragging you can file down the edge of the fingers on the basket. And that will likely fix it!!
              I do now.

Then spent the rest of the day breaking in the new rebuild. Fun bike.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Still no go, pulling the carbs, the shortcuts never really work.
                V
                Gustov
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                80 GS 550 L
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Replaced the lower a-arms, ball joints & struts on a 01 Taurus. Not sure if I'll do that again. Having to lift the engine a little bit to get 1 bolt out was crazy. That bolt was more than happy to go back in upside down with thread lock.

Comment

I pulled the carbs off and stripped them down as my beautiful katana refused to start.

Too my great surprise the pilot screws were in a diabolical state.
                    Normally the should be Pilot screw-->spring-->washer-->O-ring. I had the following...

Pilot screw-->spring-->washer-->O-ring. (as it should be)
                    Pilot screw-->spring-->O-ring. (O ring was wedged down the hole)
                    Pilot screw-->O-ring-->washer-->spring. (unbelievable)
                    Pilot screw-->spring. (really???)

No wonder it ran like a dead monkey

so after striping and rebuilding I set the pilot screws to all the way in and out 2 1/2 turns, and the dam thing would not start. So I adjusted the pilot screws to 3 1/2 turns and she fired up like a beauty.

and that's what I wrenched Tomorrow we ride

Comment

Messed around with my lawn tractor.
                      It sat for two years.
                      Removed and cleaned carb.
                      Took off the plow...trying to get the electric PTO to work....all tests so far show its fried.
                      Its been so long I couldn't remember why I parked it in the first place
                      Like all I want to do is NOT push now my yard this year.

Comment

Resynched the carbs getting them to the correct spot with all four pretty close to even. I also reset the mixture screws back to 3 turns out as that was the cause of my issues yesterday. Everything is working properly again.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          It's pretty tight under thosesidecovers ain't it Pete, and those big connector jacks on that R/R don't help.
                          I had to bolt a big Honda R/R onto the chainguard for awhile. It worked pretty well there,but it only had one bolt holding it. That looks a little more secure than what I did.

Sooo! the Speed Demons sort of a fail, eh? Didn't last long! I'm looking forward to a report on the Avons!
                          I don't even have the side covers on and it's tight! Can't believe how huge it is but I'm still glad I did it, can't find a better spot for it... unless I go to a slimline Lithium battery in the future and move it into the battery box area...

Not sure I'd call the Sport Demons a fail as such, the size just wasn't right. Tipping in has always been quick with them, to the point of being almost unstable but I'd gotten used to it and was pretty comfortable.

However, after a couple of hundred km's on the Avons now with better sizing, well that's a whole different world.

Hit one of my favourite tight twisty roads on Saturday and had my best run ever. The front feels planted and rock solid and no funny tipping point or anything. Initial turn in at low speeds is harder than with the SD's but again that's the size coming in to play. Once the speed gets up the confidence in the front end improves so much it's not funny.

One thing I did notice different that's not due to sizing is that the Avons feel smoother/softer than the SD's did. Not a big deal but noticeable.

I haven't got anything negative to say about the SD's either, it's just the sizing that wasn't right...

Of course tyre wear is yet to be seen... see how the rear looks in 5500km's!
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I fixed my grandson's paintball marker then went out and played woodsball all day. Have a whole new set of cherries.

Ps when you play with little kids, you get hit in the legs allot.

V
                            Gustov
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            80 GS 550 L
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Minor work of oil change (that should have done in fall).

But more significantly , got it out of back corner of garage ... and possibly ready for first ride to work of the year tommorow !

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'm stoopid excited. I just rode my bike down the street and back again. This was a really really bad condition barn find that a lot of people told me I could never get running. It sat and idled for about 15 min. Then I took it for a quick spin. I've never owned a street bike before. Never riden on the street before. Hoping to get my license in the next week or so. And finish buttoning up the last few details. Charging system seems to be working great!

Quick question. After about 10 mins of idle the RPM's start to slowly rise. Why is this? Small vacuum leak? Something I should adjust on the carbs?

Comment

Working...
                                X