No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noooooooooooooooo, my cow catcher, say it ain't so.
    Damn, now I just want to ride it.

Spent yesterday and today doing some work on Swambo's grocery getter and my e30, both needed the heaters ixing, as its getting bloody freezing here in the mornings now, and I am tired of arriving at the airport suffering from hypothermia every day.
    The Renault Scenic was a quick fix, undid the two hoses to the heater box on the engine side of the firewall, inserted hose pipe and back flushed all the cr@p out, works like a charm now.
    My e30, not so much, On loosening the two pipes that lead to the heater box from the nylon/plastic rail on the side of the engine, it became immediately apparent that common rail had seen better days as it crumbled at the fittings as I removed the pipes.
    BMW will want a kings ransom for a new one, so this morning it was off to the hardware store, for a few plastic plumbing fittings and some Pratleys steel, two mix epoxy to repair the fittings.
    It never rains, it just pours, after inserting hose pipe to back flush, it became very clear that there was next to zero flow, with the water just trickling out the other pipe.
    After an hour, another thing became very clear, it was not going to work, whatever cr@p/sludge/muck was in there was not budging and the heater radiator would have to come out.
    This is what I had been hoping to avoid, after an hour under the dash, I emerged victorious with heater radiator in very cut and scratched and now in cramps hand.
    Not only does it pour, its a fvkn Tsunami.
    Within seconds of inserting hose pipe into radiator, within seconds, it became clear that the radiator was clean as a whistle and water flowed freely without impedance. Arrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Heater valve was the culprit, small mercy, I would have had to remove radiator to access heater valve anyway, R2500 ($230) from BMW and it forms an integral part of a piece of the nylon/plastic pipe that leads to the heater radiator. (Not going to happen)
    Drilled out rivets, removed valve, made up blanking plate, and installed O-ring to blank off, so now I will have full time hot air set to max.
    Tomorrow, reassemble everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      Heater valve was the culprit, small mercy, I would have had to remove radiator to access heater valve anyway, R2500 ($230) from BMW and it forms an integral part of a piece of the nylon/plastic pipe that leads to the heater radiator. (Not going to happen)
      Drilled out rivets, removed valve, made up blanking plate, and installed O-ring to blank off, so now I will have full time hot air set to max.
      Tomorrow, reassemble everything.
      Is there any scope for a manual valve?

Retro as you like...
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Attempted a nice ride yesterday but my intermittent single cylinder issue became permanent so I limped home instead

First thing I did when I got home was swap out the left Dyna module for the one I originally suspected of failing, and straight back on two cylinders...

At this stage I either have two faulty Dyna modules or I had two issues... a dodgy connection and a dodgy Dyna module... if this one keeps going, then it means I eliminated the connection issue during the week... we shall see.

In the meantime, I will continue working on plans B (GM HEI type ignition) and C (stock ignitor)...

I'm so sick of this issue!
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Is there any scope for a manual valve?

Retro as you like...
          No, this has an electric one, and no space under the dash or under the bonnet, pipe routes under the intake manifold and no space under there, no worry though, will get one from a scrap yard when summer eventually rolls around.....Sept some time.

Comment

Not completely wrenching but I just finished installing my father's day gift - a new GoPro Hero 3 Silver. I'm waiting for the kids to get home then Cheyenne and I will give it a test ride.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Slow day at work so I had some time to play in garage. I started to work a bit on my new to me '84 GS750EFE. I got this from a friend who bought it new and parked it 17 years ago. I brought it home last weekend. It had the carbs and tank drained as well as an oil change at the time it was parked and when I got it I put fresh oil in, some gas, hooked up a battery and while it sat on prime for a few minutes gave it a quick visual inspection for anything obvious. Surprisingly I gave it some choke, hit the starter and it came to life as if it was parked yesterday and after a minute or so on the choke I turned the choke off and it settled down to a nice smooth 1000rpm idle, gotta like that. If it wasn't that the tires felt like wood and it started puking gas all over the place I could have given it a test drive. Anyway it turns there are a few pinholes in the tank (not too bad really), a leaky petcock and dried up fuel tube orings. Otherwise it looks like it just needs the usual seals, orings and tires. Fairing is a little rough and needs paint but it is a complete original specimen. Pulled the carbs because they need fixing and found only a couple of small pinholes in the tank, it'll also need lining but it is pretty solid. Carbs actually were unbelievably clean. All the rubber parts like intake boots are surprising nice supple, I guess that's the advantage to being stored in a garage out of the sun since it was new. It's going to be a winter project but really wanted see what I was getting myself into.

Then it was time to give the old 1000 a wash and find a place to hang the new kayak I got last week. Now we can get our vehicles in the garage. A very productive day. Too bad they're aren't more days like that.

Then I decided to clean up my work area. It was a disaster from renovating a downstairs bedroom and it drove me crazy while trying to work on the bike. Not the greatest work space but I'm happy with it.

'84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

After so much time running on 1 cylinder lately I figured I'd bring the next service forward as the oil would've been somewhat contaminated with unburnt fuel, so I did that on Saturday.

I had to drop a shim size on both exhaust valves (I suspected as much after doing the head gasket), checked the torque on all the head nuts and cam bearing cap bolts and they were all still good too.

I've still had a couple of drops of oil (I think) from under the sprocket cover somewhere (again, I think) but I couldn't see anything obvious, so I've cleaned all the grunge out from under there again and I'll see how it goes. I can't see another oil leak at this point.

Then had a quick test ride yesterday and yet again it dropped on to 1 cylinder for a minute or so... this is driving me absolutely insane! I'm going to have to put some solid night time garage work in this week and get Plan B going... my only concern is if there is something on my bike that is killing Dynatek modules, will it also kill my Plan B? Is that even possible? Right now this is sapping all enjoyment out of riding for me as I just don't know if I can go for a ride and have some fun or if I'll be limping home on 1 cylinder...

Last night I ordered some 20A micro relays from Eastern Beaver and I'm going to do the headlight and coil relay mod's as well, just in case.

sigpic

Comment

Spent about 4 hours in the garage last night... I thought I'd swap the power feeds for the Dynatek modules over to rule that out as a possibility, but when turning the motor over by hand I had no spark on the left plug... again. Looks like my issue is permanent so I now have two dead Dyna modules

Spent the next 3 1/2 hours testing the stock ignitor I got from Greg (SVSooke) and then finding somewhere to locate it. I ended up having to modify my electrics tray under the seat to lower it enough so I could fit the ignitor under there...

I haven't really tested it yet due to the time (finished at 12:15am) but I did fire it up very briefly for about 3 seconds and it did run... guess we'll see if I get to work this morning...

sigpic

Comment

had to clean the bottom of the engine..18 years of sticky grim that was smoking when hot, had to try and see if there was a leak...so got up early this morning and sneeked the kitchen steam cleaner out to the garage and 30minutes later with steam and gunk the bottom of the engine is clean, oil free and dry with no signs of an oil leak...a great peice of kit

Comment

Coming apart easy.

A productive day at the office.
                      A few hours were spent ripping down the GS850, wiring loom, lights, indicators and gauges all done. The back wheel, guard and the battery box were next, the only stubborn screws were around the side of the battery box were the PO has hacked them with a saw. A disconnections to the stators and side covers and the electrics are finished. The wiring loom will be going to a member of the local vintage motorbike club to be checked and resheathed.
                      Hopefully tomorrow the motor comes out, and the whole front end.
                      Then this will leave me the frame and other parts to get blasted and off to the powder coaters.
                      And a quick trip to the chromers this morning to drop off 10 bits off the carbies for a bit of bling when they come together, mainly the brackets that hold all the carbs together.
                      One thing we did notice when standing at the back of the bike, is actually how wide the motor is with the side covers.

Comment

1980 GS850G in Tennessee

1980 gs850g. Finished cleaning the valves and ports, putting on new valve guide seals and reinstalling the valves. Now about to clean the tops of the pistons.

Comment

Did a carb adjustment on my 1100, runs better now.
                          Pulled my lawn tractor up out of my valley with my ct90 to change the drive belt which was toooo small...tomorrow.
                          Put together an airbox for an 80 850.

Killed some gophers.

V
                          Gustov
                          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                          81 GS 1000 G
                          79 GS 850 G
                          81 GS 850 L
                          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                          80 GS 550 L
                          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                          2002 Honda 919
                          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Spent a little time organizing the garage. Now I'm going to replace all the brake fluid in the system and see if I need to rebuild either or both of the cylinders. The PO said it had been done, but while I wait for my valve adjustment supplies to arrive I figured I could check off another thing on the maintenance list. Picked up front and rear pads, so I'll replace those too. If I can squeeze in changing the secondary gear oil and final drive unit oil I'd be pleased with what got done today.

Then it's out for a ride before possibly more rain. Again. I swear, Milwaukee is reminding more and more of Portland these days.

Comment

Hey Growler, need a couple of cam cover gaskets for that beast of yours? Got a couple spares in the basement gathering dust. Yours if you want them, gratas as you gave me a deal on the piece for the windjammer.

PM me with your ship to address...
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Re-wound and installed a stator for my other 400 and I am getting better-got more windings on and voltage is higher...Still not pretty, but no worse than what was in there.

Comment

Working...
                                X