what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lay down Sally.

Dave, no danger of running out of these beds, as long as people eat McChuck burgers there will be the health dollars spent reversing the problem.
    I was blown away with the price of some new lift units $600 for a cheap unit, right up $2400 for the deluxe models. Way out my budget and money better spent on my bikes.

Comment

Took the greasy valve cover off my 850:

And cleaned/sanded it up a bit:

Might polish it at some point too.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Used a $16 starter rebuild kit to replace the GS1150E starter brushes, bearing, bushing, seal and o rings. You wouldn't think these parts would change how the starter sounds, but it works great. Getting the old bearing out was the only issue. I couldn't find a local store with a small enough bearing separator, so I ended up running lockwire in a loop under the bearing, and use the fingers of a two arm bearing puller to remove the bearing.

Comment

I worked on my old Isuzu Trooper today. It sprung a coolant leak from under the intake manifold so I had to remove the upper manifold to get at the hose. I found the culprit, but I'll be replacing all the hoses, fuel line and vacuum line associated with that area. Too much rubber turning into plastic there to want to repeat this again soon. It's 45 degrees out and raining, so not exactly ideal, but it's off and I can order parts.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

If thats the condition of the cover, take the airbox out and check the top plenum section where the breather hose goes in,there's probably a channel in there clogged full of engine crap as well. Don't forget the filters under that valve cover as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
              If thats the condition of the cover, take the airbox out and check the top plenum section where the breather hose goes in,there's probably a channel in there clogged full of engine crap as well. Don't forget the filters under that valve cover as well.
              Nailed it. Airbox is out and full of crud. Getting a new from Phred soon. Breather hose is cracked too. This bike is getting some love this winter...
              ----------------------------------------------------------------
              2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                I found the culprit, but I'll be replacing all the hoses, fuel line and vacuum line associated with that area. Too much rubber turning into plastic there to want to repeat this again soon.
                That is the right way to do it. If you only fixed the ONE problem today, you would be going back under that manifold again and again under even worse conditions for certain.

Comment

Charged up the battery and pumped up the tires on the 78, time for the Polar Bear run at 9 AM NYD

It started right up, but clearly needed a volt or two after sitting since October
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Got around to fitting the 13" Harley (Showa) air shocks from an FLH (I think). Given they've replaced a set of old OEM GS shocks that were still in good condition just about any change would have been for the better, and these are very much so. I'll fiddle with air pressures tomorrow and look at oil types and content at some other time, but for now, they're running at 15psi and whatever oil was in them - which is fairly thin stuff.
                    I had to make up some cylindrical shims for the mounting posts, top and bottom, and the lid of a dogfood can was the perfect thickness.
                    Woof.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grimly, see if you can get a hold of Old_Skool from this forum as he has used them on several bikes that I know of and can probably help you.
                      (If he is still here anyway) He said that he was getting sick and tired of some of the rampant egos that some members were throwing out.

Comment

I came across some very useful threads on the V-Twins site, and one or two posters in particular were well-versed in the overhaul and use of these. I'll see how they go with the oil that's in them for now, but armed with some slight knowledge of how to fuddle with them, I'll attempt to improve them if necessary. Seems they left the factory in a middlin' state, which would have suited a lot of people but by no means all, and even at that, the oil used was watery even if there was enough of it.
                        I had a set of Showas on for 20 years and they performed well until they met their demise with a massive pothole, and it's those which prompted me to try the Harley take-offs, seeing as how they're near enough the same shocks.
                        ---- Dave
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Today I washed the 750 and 2 1100s....then I wired them up for the battery tenders I bought them for Christmas.
                          No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            Today I washed the 750 and 2 1100s....then I wired them up for the battery tenders I bought them for Christmas.
                            I've seen your bikes, that hardly constitutes work.
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Finally got around to re-building the fork legs that will go on the '80 bike. Mixing and matching the best bits available from two sets, I have single-rate springs of unknown strength, but certainly seem lively enough. I'm going with the air caps for now, just for the sake of completeness and to try them out, and if they're no good, I'll be able to fit the pre-load mechanical caps from the old set that's currently on the bike.
                              Opening a bottle of fork oil, I was assailed by a very familiar smell - and thought, "If that's not actually ATF, I'm a Dutchman." I'd intended to use ATF anyway, so this saves me the bother.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Took the drum out of the electric clothes drier to find out what broke. Had to replace one of the idler rollers the drum rests on. Sears parts center had them in stock. Smooth as silk again.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X