what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
    Not sure really.... The entire house has been that way to some degree or another. When I tried to paint the other hall after we bought the house, the old paint that appeared solid was literally getting pulled off of the ceiling by the paint roller. I scraped every bit of old paint off and proceeded to paint. That was 4-5 years ago, and its been fine...My thought is that the original paint was junk.
    I repainted the inside of a house I used to own. The paint wouldn't stick at first. Turned out that the previous owner was a 4 pack a day smoker. I had to remove cigarette smoke tar from all the walls. Sprayed the walls with ammonia and watched yellow crud drip down. Needed to do it twice.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I think that is part of our problem as well. My wife was fairly repulsed when she began cleaning and found the same. Most white walls and ceilings........weren't anymore.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Did nothing except took a bus to pick it up from the mechanic.
        I'm still on the bus.
        The mechanic on the other hand changed my fork seals, which was something very over due.
        Now all I need to do is get a new chain, sprockets and tires.

ps: I do all the easy stuff.... for now.

Comment

It is thoroughly disgusting. You'll need excellent ventilation to not choke on the fumes, which means windows open wide and fans, which means waiting until at least middle spring. Good luck.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            Well tonight I managed to build myself a set of gauges for the EFE out of 2 bad sets. The set that came with the bike turns out were far more damaged then originally thought. The outer case was broken in several places, the inner plastic frame had all the mounts broken and what I thought was good glass was actually a piece of plexi silconed in place, oh well. A set that I managed to locate had a good case and bezel but the glass was cracked and because of that the gauge face was quite soiled and discoloured. So I managed to use the tach, speedo and gauge face from the old set, the plastic outer case and frame from the new set along with a piece of correct thickness non glare glass that my local glass shop was able to use to replicate a new glass face complete the trip meter hole. Viola, almost new gauges. Also ordered front and rear wheel bearing kits, steering stem bearing kits and fork seals. Started putting pieces back on the rear of the bike and now to start on the front.

[/URL]
            75K! Now it looks like that! Great job! AWESOME Restore job!! Looks new... Minus the mileage (or is it Kilometerage in Canada?)

I'm really trying with this metric thing for you guys, Trevor has been an exceptional mentor... Always distracting me with hilarious materials.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Yesterday got the front end totally disassembled and ready to replace stem and wheel bearing as well as fork seals. Amazingly everything came out really easy, even the lower stem bearing race on the frame was easy and lower bearing wasn't bad either. Even the fork seals weren't seized in place. Gotta like that!!! Anyway, bearings should be here in the next few days so final reassembly can begin. Once that's done it's just some more cleaning on the engine and then the paint work.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

With the MOT test coming up, thought I`d better check the exhaust on "Henry" my Royal Enfield. I know, not a Suzuki but he shares the same garage as the Bandit & GS750s !. Thought the note had changed and the exhaust sounded louder than usual, found a big hole along the underside of the silencer which got bigger when I tapped about with a hammer. Thought about plating over and welding, but decided instead to get a new silencer which I ordered today. Just spent an hour or so in the garage trying to get the old one off, but sods law it won`t budge, well and truly crudded on. Trouble is where it is pushed onto the downpipe, not much of an edge to get a blunt chisel or anything on to give a good whack with hammer. Tried twisting it, not a chance !. Tomorrow will try a bit of heat, see if that helps. One of those simple jobs that turn into a chew on. Failing that, maybe just cut the thing off, will shorten the downpipe about 2" so a last resort, anyone have any other tricks to try ?.
                "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                1978 GS750
                1979 GS750 chop
                1979 GS550
                2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                1992 XV750 Virago
                2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Dremel a slot in the outer pipe, lift up an edge of the slot with a screwdriver / chisel and leave it soaking in penetrant overnight. Application of heat and more twisting the following day will see it come off, leaving the inner pipe unscathed. If you happen to be in a hurry the soaking period is optional. I've had badly rusted car and bike pipes apart using this method.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Nothin today but make ejuice and clean the windows on my truck, but the last 4 days have been spent splitting and cleaning the cases on my gs650g of old oil and gaskets

Comment

Dremel a slot in the outer pipe, lift up an edge of the slot with a screwdriver / chisel and leave it soaking in penetrant overnight. Application of heat and more twisting the following day will see it come off, leaving the inner pipe unscathed. If you happen to be in a hurry the soaking period is optional. I've had badly rusted car and bike pipes apart using this method.
                      Thanks Grimly, I`ll give that a shot. Don`t have a dremel but should be able to use a hacksaw if I`m careful.
                      "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                      1978 GS750
                      1979 GS750 chop
                      1979 GS550
                      2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                      2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                      1992 XV750 Virago
                      2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Yesterday morning was spent installing a new OEM valve cover gasket on Jennifer to cure a persistent oil leak, followed by a 100km test ride......just to make sure, you understand. Having far too much fun riding her.

Today was spent working on the E30 refreshing the front suspension, new bushes, lower control arms and tie rod ends fitted. Done and dusted. Just need to fit new shocks and sway bar links and the whole front suspension will be new, but that is next months task, one can only skim so much off the grocery money every month.

Comment

Yesterday morning was spent installing a new OEM valve cover gasket on Jennifer to cure a persistent oil leak, followed by a 100km test ride......just to make sure, you understand. Having far too much fun riding her.

Today was spent working on the E30 refreshing the front suspension, new bushes, lower control arms and tie rod ends fitted. Done and dusted. Just need to fit new shocks and sway bar links and the whole front suspension will be new, but that is next months task, one can only skim so much off the grocery money every month.

20150111_164809-1.jpg

Comment

Did you install OEM style rubber bushings Flyboy or did you upgrade to polyurethane?

Comment

Hey Stan, you've been hiding on us lately; what, get Jennifer running and forget about the rest of us? Where's the pictures?
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ShadowFocus603, normal OEM rubber, I did consider poly, but decided against it, for a few reasons, firstly, I am cheap, so instead of buying ready made poly, I buy the vesconite and turn them myself, I just hate paying rip off prices for parts because they are so called "performance" when they cost a tenth of the price to make yourself, that would have taken another week or so before I could get to a lathe, secondly, the car is a daily driver, so on the ragged edge handling is not important to me, I would rather forego a bit of handling for a softer ride, and the e30 handles plenty good enough in stock trim for any road work, even when pushed, and lastly, the OEM rubber bushes have lasted 24 years and 470 000Km, so these should outlast me. But yes vesconite does tighten it up for on the edge handling, and I will install them on a weekend burner.

No man Scott, bloody internet has been spotty and pathetic at best the last month, I am on wireless and right on the very edge of the coverage area, so I need an outside aerial to get any decent, useable signal, long story short I buggered up mt aerial by cutting the coaxial cable to join it, and have been without it for over a month.
                                Jennifer is running well, just throwing a few teething problems into the pot every now and again, just to keep me honest.
                                I have done just under 900 miles on her since rebuild, and enjoying every minute.

Here you go Scott, just for you, Jennifer just after her bath last weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X