No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well got the bike running took it round the block for a shake down.... went well decided to put sprocket cover on and i see i now need to cut some material away to fit the offset sprocket... and grind i bit off of the inside peg mounts to clear the chain

Comment

Started on my valve clearances today; loved it when I watch a major thunderstorm rolled in while working. Started watching it from the mountain and then when it hit my neighbor's property line I started buttoning everything up. Just got the bike cover on when the rain and wind got real heavy here. Feel bad for hanging up on Tkent a couple of times but I hope he understood. Finished up on everything a couple of hours later.

This is what the view from my house typically looks like:
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

nstalled the new crystal and fuel guage that i got from TKENT02..Thanks Tom..perfect parts! Then I took apart an old 750 speedo and swapped the trip meter dials so my 78 1000 now has a working trip meter as well/ Then installed the trip meter knob also aquired from Tom..Then rode the hell out of her!!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No Wrenching.....Yet

Today, I installed the exterior lights on my shop and finished the insulation. I also met with my electrician who will get his part done tomorrow. It won't be long before I can get into polishing aluminum and tear into my 5 project bikes.

The two month delay from being laid up sucked.

Comment

Downtime

Alas I cannot ignore my intake O-rings any more, the impact on operation is becoming quite noticeable.

Doesn't THIS look familiar!

That's the worst one, there was one other cracked, all were flat as ze pancake. Luckily the boots are all crack free, and quite supple. Time to clean the carbs, and maybe give the tank a little vinegar bath while I'm at it. It really doesn't look rusty inside, a little bath is probably a good bet though. I hate down time, but I may as well take advantage of it.
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
              ...Time to clean the carbs, and maybe give the tank a little vinegar bath while I'm at it. It really doesn't look rusty inside, a little bath is probably a good bet though. I hate down time, but I may as well take advantage of it.
              Suggestion: Skip the vinegar in the tank. I used to work in a factory that stamped metal parts and removed the rust with acid. Rust-free parts that went in the bath were rust-prone when they left it. So, unless you have signs of rust (check fuel filter), leaving it alone might be best.

Several people have started threads on a new type of rust remover. All report excellent results. It removes rust but doesn't attack unrusted metal the way that acid does. I've read their information and their approach is sound, from a chemist's point of view. I don't remember its name, but I saw it at a local farm supply store.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Ahhhhhh thank you. Guess I will skip that for now. Everything is pretty clean in there, nothing to speak of collecting at the fuel intake either.
                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Repainted the ends of the needles in the speedo, tach and fuel guages today on my 78 1000 C
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Couldn't sleep this morning early, so I got up and swapped out my old-style battery. Put in a new and much smaller AGM. It required a spacer block under the new battery to get it to the level of the old one, and I installed a retaining strap to secure it in place. While I was at it, I re-did some of the leads from the R/R swap-out and coil relay mod done previously, using heavier wire and getting everything nice and neat, and especially as sealed as possible from the elements.

Cleaned everything up.

Then I went for a nice morning ride out through the country to test everything out.

Life is grand ....

Comment

OH and forgot to add that i replaced a burnt out bulb on the speedo side too

Comment

Could it be Evapo-rust? I think Home depot also has it.

Originally posted by themess View Post
                        Suggestion: Skip the vinegar in the tank. I used to work in a factory that stamped metal parts and removed the rust with acid. Rust-free parts that went in the bath were rust-prone when they left it. So, unless you have signs of rust (check fuel filter), leaving it alone might be best.

Several people have started threads on a new type of rust remover. All report excellent results. It removes rust but doesn't attack unrusted metal the way that acid does. I've read their information and their approach is sound, from a chemist's point of view. I don't remember its name, but I saw it at a local farm supply store.

1978 GS1000C
                        1979 GS1000E
                        1980 GS1000E
                        2004 Roadstar

Comment

Evapo rust works awesome..i let it sit in a tank for 48 hrs to be well sure it was cleaned out then did the tank sealer job. I got mine at Autozone.

Comment

Installed new Avon "roadriders" on the 650 yesterday. The rear is a higher profile than before and now the side stand works like it should. We'll see how they ride this afternoon. They are made in England, of all places. I bought them on a recomendation from a GS'er here.

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I installed the new carb boots and o-rings on the 850 yesterday afternoon.....smooth operation until (typical) reinstalling the carbs...checked the forum search (of course), found references to prying with 2x4 against frame....popped one side in first, then switched sides, carbs darn near fell into place (oh, I put a bit of silicon grease around the insides of the boots first)...easy, once it's done.

Don't forget to connect the clutch and throttle cables before puting carb rack back on the boots.

Didn't bother putting tank back on..waiting for new Dyna coils and wires, and Russel brake lines. This should be the big stuff done...maybe I can ride this thing soon.

Comment

Wired up and installed a nice set of KG hard bags and trunk last night. Love 'em.
                                Current Bikes:
                                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                                X