what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
    Well I put some plastic and the tank back on today, primed it for about 5 minutes while I pushed outside and even with temps in the garage at near freezing it fired right up. It's sitting in it's ES trim right now and the white is a couple of shades too bright. That's easily adjusted with a couple more coats of the pearl white I have. I did a white base coat with the pearl white on top and stopped at 2 coats, could probably use 2 more. Question though, I'm thinking I should switch the ES fairing mid pieces to blue instead of white, I think it will balance out the looks a bit better. What say you guys? Otherwise I'm real happy with it.

Looks fantastic Sandy! I'd leave it like it is.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Sandy that bike looks awesome!!!
      No signature

Comment

I really like that - Suzuki got the size and proportions just right with it.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Looks just fine Sandy, will you be riding it or the 1000 to the rally?

Helped my son do some demolition in his basement in preparation for a new heating system. fun fun fun

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

That's the plan. The bike is rideable and I'm waiting on my collector plate. It needs a few test miles on it and hopefully once the weather warms up I can finish the remaining paint work. The paint work won't be a deal breaker though. I've got a small factory rack for it so I should be able to get all my stuff on it. Once April hits things are going to get real busy around here with some tree removal, getting the garden in and work around the property.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

time to get ready for the annual poker run
              this year taking some exotics all suzuki powered of course
              better give them all a carby clean and oil change, atleast on these taking carbs on and off is only a few minutes work

SB3

SB4

and the Harris Magnum

Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Those are incredibly cool cycles. I really appreciate the close up, naked pics. Thanks.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  Those are incredibly cool cycles. I really appreciate the close up, naked pics. Thanks.
                  +1 on that!
                  Love the look of the Astralites.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Continuing to strip the paint on the L, I even found some traces of the original paint and also two patches of filler.

Regards,

Jerry BB
                    Attached Files

Comment

Replaced fork seals yesterday, had the bike 4 weeks, front end was a bit springy, did 150km today, feels great!

Comment

Waaaaay back in December, I rebuilt the carbs, replaced the o rings (thanks Mr Barr) and replaced the intake boots (thanks GS1150Pilot).
                        Then it got cold. Then it got really cold.....and snowed and stayed cold, and snowed some more. The temperature hit the 50s today (cue up an angel choir singing hallelujah) so I finally got out for a test tonight. After priming it, it started cleanly and settled into a nice idle.
                        Initial concerns of a hanging idle/ air leak was simply a matter of backing out the idle screw.

I couldnt be more pleased. Its literally a night / day difference. In town manners used to be a bit jerky..no more. At 70 on the highway its smoother then its ever been in all my years of ownership. im thrilled!

Now onto checking the starter clutch and clutch to (hopefully) locate my rattle......
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Today, hopefully I can finally finish my 81' GS1100EX and get it back on the road. It has been torn down since Aug. of last year at a friend's shop for a restoration. My plan is to take it down to the Idaho Vintage Motorcycle Show in Caldwell on the 21st of this month and show it and take it on their Sat. ride, weather permitting. Today I've got to bleed the brakes after an overhaul and new SS lines and get the engine running and sync. the carbs after overhauling them also. Hopefully all will go well and the bike will be ready to ride. It's been a long project and lightened up my pocketbook in the process.

Pat
                          78' GS1000EC
                          79' GS850GN
                          79' GS1000N
                          79' GS1000EN
                          81' GS1100EX

Comment

I didn't wrench on anything, but, I did wake up the GK after it's winter slumber. Turned the petcock to prime, waited......turned on the key, grabbed the clutch and hit the starter button. After a couple cranks she fired right up !!!! I did nothing to it over the winter except for some Seafoam in the tank last fall. Took her for a little ride around the neighborhood and all is well. The 450 needs a couple things, (fork springs, rear brake shoes) so, I'm waiting to get her going this year. All is good.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000S View Post
                              Today, hopefully I can finally finish my 81' GS1100EX and get it back on the road. It has been torn down since Aug. of last year at a friend's shop for a restoration. My plan is to take it down to the Idaho Vintage Motorcycle Show in Caldwell on the 21st of this month and show it and take it on their Sat. ride, weather permitting. Today I've got to bleed the brakes after an overhaul and new SS lines and get the engine running and sync. the carbs after overhauling them also. Hopefully all will go well and the bike will be ready to ride. It's been a long project and lightened up my pocketbook in the process.

Pat
                              Hey Pat,
                              Do you have a build thread on your 81 going? Would love to see some pics of your work. Good luck with it!
                              No signature

Comment

Not much wrenching although I took the four days (today through Friday) of this week to build Paul's dresser/closet (schrank). There was much cutting of the Curly Red Oak wood today with the hope I'll start the glue up of the various panels tomorrow. I also finally moved the bike to its normal parking spot in the garage so I can work on it tomorrow morning.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X