No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cover gasket replaced, oil change completed, right side mirror replaced after a bit of stupidity yesterday, and started it up. I'll try to ride tomorrow if I have time while the rest of the wood boards are setting up after gluing today.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Took bike out for it's maiden voyage after restore and only ended up tighten a couple of loose fittings and the frt. master cylinder lid. Put about 35 miles on it and wanted more but commitments kicked in. Bike ran out great and was a blast to ride. It should be an enjoyable ride. I'm looking forward to the Caldwell show next weekend.

Pat
      78' GS1000EC
      79' GS850GN
      79' GS1000N
      79' GS1000EN
      81' GS1100EX

Comment

Last week, I discovered a forgotten-about wheel off a van I'd owned a while ago. Having no use for it now, I realised I had the perfect opportunity to make one of these...

Today, got the tyre stripped off it and tomorrow will start welding legs to it.
        The slightly annoying thing is, the tyre that was on the wheel was virtually new, but it's long since passed its use-by date for commercial use and nobody would want it now.
        I'm loathe to chuck it out, as it's in great condition - might find a use for it on something.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Started roughing in the crown molding. I ran out of wood.....ran out of patience long before that.
          I should start a thread titled "why my GS isn't yet nice" it would be full of this and similar.....leaky pool, leaky refrigerator, porch / sidewalk that took a beating from the winter....the endless revolving list of home ownership......im thankful despite my complaining though.
          Attached Files
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

sorting out brakes on the baja bug today

Comment

I spent the day checking compression and valve clearances using the "zip-tie" method. I highly recommend that method.
              20150314_182503.jpg

Comment

20150315_000327.jpgNo real wrenching, but after a somewhat frustrating day, i found myself in the garage tonight listening to music and going thru GS junk. Lifes funny sometimes. After years of riding with mismatched panels and fender, the prospect of an off the shelf rattle can that is really close match (thanks Sandy and fjbj40) may cause me to address that, but first I need to find out why my mid panels are such a struggle to install/remove. My bike came pre crashed, and it had 2 incidents since ive owned it, so chances are some bracketry is bent. I pulled down my old fairings to examine the situation. It looks like the mid bracket is bent, preventing proper alignment of the tabbies....
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Speaking of body work....I had noticed one of the tabs on my tail piece had broken, the bolt was there but it a broken apart. When I bought the bike two years ago the other side came broken and I fixed it with JB Weld and it is still holding. So I fixed the new broken one the same way. That JB Weld is amazing stuff!

Some other stuff got done to the 1100's this weekend too...had my mechanic put the parts bike exhaust I blasted and painted on my 83 and the put the v&h on the 81...so re-jetted the carbs (not quite tuned yet) put in Sonic fork springs (Front end feels awesome!), the fork brace I got off the parts bike I bought. Put in new wheel bearings in front and rear wheels. And while the forks were off I had them polished too.

And the new (old) exhaust on the 83..think it looks good. I like the black but I gotta do something about the can. It sounds friggen awesome!!

Last edited by trevor; 03-16-2015, 12:28 AM.
                  No signature

Comment

For a long time I've been telling my buddies how much I wish I could find a set of S&W Street Strokers for my 1000S. Be damned if Trevor didn't get a parts bike that had a set of them. They looked a little tired so he gave them to Rob, (azr), and he buffed them up and did a great job of making them look good. They then presented me with the shocks, I was gobsmacked and couldn't wait to put them on the bike.

Before

After

The S&W's are way better than the old stockers! Now I have to wait for Rob and Trevor to come up for a visit so I can supply them with the many beers that they so rightfully deserve!
                    IBA# 12860
                    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                    1984 KZ1100R
                    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                    2011 Concours 1400

Comment

I have to admit Glenn, those shocks are a perfect touch to the S, super old school. Curious how they ride.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        I have to admit Glenn, those shocks are a perfect touch to the S, super old school. Curious how they ride.
                        They're on the softest setting right now and it is very cush. I went over the train tracks in town and my spine didn't get hammered. I lost my shock adjusting tool, (for now), but when I find it I'll stiffen the spring settings up and see how it feels. So far, so good. No leaks and the bike feels very steady.
                        IBA# 12860
                        Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                        1984 KZ1100R
                        2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                        2011 Concours 1400

Comment

bet you could do them by hand.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
                            For a long time I've been telling my buddies how much I wish I could find a set of S&W Street Strokers for my 1000S. Be damned if Trevor didn't get a parts bike that had a set of them. They looked a little tired so he gave them to Rob, (azr), and he buffed them up and did a great job of making them look good. They then presented me with the shocks, I was gobsmacked and couldn't wait to put them on the bike.

Before

After

The S&W's are way better than the old stockers! Now I have to wait for Rob and Trevor to come up for a visit so I can supply them with the many beers that they so rightfully deserve!
                            I have a set of those I just took off my 750. Probably been on my bike 30 years and they still seem strong yet. Just the rubber bushings are shot.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Friend took me to see his Rotax two stroke powered microlight. Wasn't powering up at all. Turned out to be a dirty ignition switch. The usual green corrosion on the inside. Don't know why I bothered cleaning it and it wasn't the first time either. Might be ok for a bike but it's history on an aircraft to my mind. Now just got to figure out if he's ok to continue with a three phase R/R on a two wire generator and why the six inch earth wire run from the same R/R is about three feet long all neatly coiled up into a tight bundle zip tied to the engine mount.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                                Friend took me to see his Rotax two stroke powered microlight. Wasn't powering up at all. Turned out to be a dirty ignition switch. The usual green corrosion on the inside. Don't know why I bothered cleaning it and it wasn't the first time either. Might be ok for a bike but it's history on an aircraft to my mind. Now just got to figure out if he's ok to continue with a three phase R/R on a two wire generator and why the six inch earth wire run from the same R/R is about three feet long all neatly coiled up into a tight bundle zip tied to the engine mount.
                                Eek. I suppose it's easy to get kind of blasé about risk on a microlight, as somehow they seem a bit more diy and divorced from the mainstream, but gravity is an unforgiving sucker and will kill ya just as surely no matter what you're in. When it comes to aviation electrics and mechanics I'm a bit more fastidious, which comes from seeing early on what the consequences can be, and the realisation that if that engine quits, you're in the metaphorical cesspit.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X