what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
    Wired up and installed a nice set of KG hard bags and trunk last night. Love 'em.
    I used to have a KG hard trunk. It was great. I'm looking for another one.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

no wrenching! the gsxr convert is now a reality!!!!!

Comment

Just finished valve clearance adjustments and cleaned K&N cones.Bike now has noisy valves,but I believe that is normal for these bikes.I hope it starts better when cold now.

Comment

Replaced the front brake pads & rotors on my '98 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 yesterday.
          Man, what a complete and thorough PITA that was!

It's plainly obvious that whomever designed that setup has never performed any service work on the stuff they draw up. Sheeeeesh.

Comment

Replaced the starter switch on my '00 ZX6R project and got her started without swearing at her.

Adjusted the throttle cable on my '75 GT550 and went riding to a few different shops to hunt down parts.

Comment

Tappet clearance adjustment

Yeah, started that on my '78 GS550. Have to remove a couple of broken valve cover bolts and scrape off a ton of gasket sealer, then I can get to the actual measrements.

Comment

Changed the oil in the lawn mower.

Comment

Replaced condenser fan motor in the wifes accord.
                  Hard to find little b!tch, expensive too.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
                    Changed the oil in the lawn mower.
                    Hap! I've missed your smile, buddy. Good to see you out and about.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff

Comment

Started on the 83' GS 750 E today.
                      So far found:
                      - Stator is good. R/R is bad.
                      - Or ring leak at the head, on carb number 2.
                      - Found blinker relay to be working.(yea!)

Comment

Humble time in the garage tonight. Fired up 1000S #2 (S2) for the first time after a complete engine and frame off rebuild, and no heat from #4. Have spark so that means fuel. Carefully drained the fuel out of the carb so as to not mess up the engine paint and dropped the floatbowl (thank heavens it was one of the outside carbs) only to find the pilot jet laying loose.

Lesson #1: don't drink beer while rebuilding carbs.

Installed the pilot jet and floatbowl, then refilled up the remote tank only to see fuel gushing out of the floatbowl drain screw I forget to reinstall!

Lesson #2: I'm an idiot!

Reinstalled the drain plug and then left the garage. Going to wait until all the raw gas evaporates off the engine. Last thing I need is to burn down the bike and house to boot! Will post back with results of restart!
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Humble time in the garage tonight. Fired up 1000S #2 (S2) for the first time after a complete engine and frame off rebuild, and no heat from #4. Have spark so that means fuel. Carefully drained the fuel out of the carb so as to not mess up the engine paint and dropped the floatbowl (thank heavens it was one of the outside carbs) only to find the pilot jet laying loose.

Installed the pilot jet and floatbowl, then refilled up the remote tank only to see fuel gushing out of the floatbowl drain screw I forget to reinstall!

Reinstalled the drain plug and then left the garage. Going to wait until all the raw gas evaporates off the engine. Last thing I need is to burn down the bike and house to boot! Will post back with results of restart!
                          Sounds like one of my "beer" nights - that's stuff I would do...

Good luck with the start up
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Sounds familliar. Last April, I was servicing the carbs on a GS1000G I didn't store properly last winter. Family was comming over for dinner, and it was getting a little dark. When I buttoned it up and put it on prime, gas ran everywhere. I had noted wear marks in the float valve needles, and thought it was that. I had to leave it until June and go back to Alaska for work. When I got back in to it, there was no float gasket in float chamber 1, but there were two gaskets in float 3.

Its fine now, but I didn't have time to drain the gas out of the carbs when I left, so...

More thumbs than tools...
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Back at it...

Fired up the bike again and couldn't get it to sync for $hit. Pulled the carbs back off and found one of the butterflys hanging up. I think that was the one I removed so loosened the little screws and let the throttle shaft snap shut before tightening up the little screws again (with loctite). Now the butterfly was closing like it should. Threw the carbs back on and now it's running the way it should; nice steady idle and got it all synced up. I made way more work for myself than should have been but at least it's done.
                              Last edited by Nessism; 07-27-2010, 12:35 AM.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm glad it's going better for ya Ness
                                "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X