No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a busy day for me. Painted lowers on my forks.
    Painted my fork clamps aka triple trees.
    Made a work bench out of a steel shipping crate and scraped pieces of a very large hydraulic fluid tank used on a hydraulic elevator.
    Painted the top of that with truck bed liner.
    Screwed in some particle plywood behind where it will be sitting in my shop.
    Hung a florescent light above where it will be sitting.
    Finished disassembled a set of carbs in preparation of a good chem bath.
    Then I just sat in the sun for a bit enjoying the day.

Need to sleep now as work will come to soon tonight.
    Wish I had a stout to sip![IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankthat View Post
      Been a busy day for me. Painted lowers on my forks.
      Painted my fork clamps aka triple trees.
      Made a work bench out of a steel shipping crate and scraped pieces of a very large hydraulic fluid tank used on a hydraulic elevator.
      Painted the top of that with truck bed liner.
      Screwed in some particle plywood behind where it will be sitting in my shop.
      Hung a florescent light above where it will be sitting.
      Finished disassembled a set of carbs in preparation of a good chem bath.
      Then I just sat in the sun for a bit enjoying the day.

Need to sleep now as work will come to soon tonight.
      Wish I had a stout to sip![IMG][/IMG]
      Man you were busy. I had to play around with a gas cap that the locksmith failed to put back together properly. At least the lock works.

1985 GSX750SF (BOTM March 2015)
      1986 GSX750SG (parts bike/project?)

Comment

ho-ly! I can see why a mistake might be made! I've hade mine apart but I'm sure it was entirely different than this!

Comment

Had an EASY night in the shop tonight. Got home from a meeting about 8:30, changed the ignitor on Mrs. Steve's bike, it was hitting on all four before 8:45.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Prep work......
            Picked up the replacement parts to replace the bad/missing ones. Laid them out to confirm they were correct. I ordered all 5 clutch shims so I had all bases covered- 2 are on back order, so hopefully one of the 3 I have will work. Checked thru some dirty feeler gauge sets to make sure I have the right size- check. Just waiting on the APE clutch hub nut.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dorkburger; 04-17-2015, 05:58 PM. Reason: missspelllll
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Shot the clear on my GS1100E. Not exactly wrenching but moving toward the same goal. That is Ford's Ruby Red but added a pinch of reflective flake to add a bit of pop without overpowering the already beautiful color. Iphone cameras can't capture the true color but the video is better than a still.

sigpic
              1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
              1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
              1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
              On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
              All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Finally had time to install the rear tire today after working a normal day (8am to 430pm) yesterday and then a midnight to 8am shift this morning. Took the bike out for a little bit afterwards
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Worked im my small machine shop trying to get my new to me that is mini cnc mill going, made a suboplate and t nuts and clamps for it, then started my new (to me) 1984 1150 warmed it up and changed the oil, found out the chain was on a bit backwards with the master clip on the other side and the master link clip wasnt even on it? Anyhow started taking it apart to fix the sprocket seal ,bought a new (rather old looking packaged seal from suzuki and the oring that goes behind it also) now have to figure out if the cases have to be split or come apart to change this front spriocket seal? Then being a older fellow also tried to get the lawn tractor going. I had been mowing the lawn with push mower and had dragged the tractor behind the shed uncovered for 5 winters,,whew she didnt look too good at least inside the carb what a mess. The gasoline had all leaked into the crankase so did a oil change and have to sandblast the carb bowkl clean it was that gnarly, grossest carb innerds ive ever seen in my life ha ha ,Then fed my chipmunks and worked on the drag bike a bit, thought of starting it up but the neighbours hate that, drove wife around to drs and had a barbie homemade burgers, watched tv till 9. then computer till 10.30 on gs site reading all sorts of interesting things and crashing in a minute thats it, Mike

Comment

Today I put new drive plates in my clutch. I also installed new springs while I had it apart.
                    My plates were evenly worn. However the springs were severely compressed beyond their elastic limit..

This photo shows the difference between the new clutch springs and the old ones.
                    Attached Files

Comment

To my eye, the new and old springs are different parts. The diameter of the wire from the new springs looks larger than the diameter of the old springs. I suggest using calipers to measure. Also, the pitch of the new springs does appear to be a bit longer than the pitche of the old springes. The the main difference is that there is simply more wire in the new springs, roughly an extra turn's worth.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Finished up my son's new forced air system and electrical weather-head and fuse panel.
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Did a tune up on the lawnmower today but discovered the only place in town that I can get the spark plug for it is at Sears and only as part of their $20 tune-up kit which includes a bottle of SAE 30 oil, the spark plug, air filter, and fuel stabilizer. I only needed the spark plug but replaced the air filter anyway.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Wrenching related, in that I took delivery of a set of Eclipse tap-holders, to augment/replace the crappy tap-holder that came with the tapping set.

These are nice, and complement the long-reach tap-holder I bought last week, which is invaluable for retapping threads which are awkward to get at because a frame rail interferes with access.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Changed the clutch cable on the GS today after finding the box on my porch. The 35 year old original was still fine, but now I can use it for a spare on road trips...
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I brought my bike out of it's winter sleep yesterday. Put in a new air filter. Now she's all ready for riding.
                                1985 GSX750SF (BOTM March 2015)
                                1986 GSX750SG (parts bike/project?)

Comment

Working...
                                X