Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better pics. I'm grafting a 35 amp Denso alternator onto a 650 Moto Guzzi

Comment

Did my valve shims and took my speedo apart to clean out the old grease and re oil. Gave it a good clean now that it not leaking oil at the valve cover. Not much left to fix except some burnt out bulbs and the right turn signal not flashing.

Comment

Bike is charging again after I removed the terminals from one side of the stator to R/R connector and ensured a proper connection. Also found, after some initial testing tonight, that I didn't connect the ground of the R/R yesterday when I replaced the battery. Voltages are back to where they were before all of this but I'm afraid I screwed something up. I'm also going to replace the connector I was using on the stator to R/R with bullets just because.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Changed oil in my Mazda for the first time since moving to Albuquerque. I paid Meineke to change it last fall, and had to return because they overfilled it. I had to add oil between changes, a rarity in this car. Found oil on the underside and the drain plug was over-torqued. Turns out that Meineke didn't used the drain plug gasket. No nearby dealers had one, so I also over-torqued the drain plug. Will get this fixed today, even if it means a second oil change.

Have been buying goodies for the DL650, hope to start installation soon.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

The 79 GS 1000S got some love yesterday. Got the starter clutch bolts reset and lots of new green loctite. Oil and filter change. Used some contact cement to reglue the EPA sticker to the inner fender. Used the same contact cement to install new left side mirror glass. New fuel line and tank grommet.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Pull the fairing off the 1100 G, and checked the valves, waiting on shims. Clutch inspection next, then fluid change all around.

V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Where did you score the fire hydrant? Wife wanted to do the same thing in our dog run. Mentioned it to my neighbor and he brought home some sort of tall water valve. Not the same as the hydrant.

Comment

Replacing the tach cable after lunch, checking the fluids/lights/tire pressure, etc.

Comment

Two valves to go, waiting on shims. Pulled the clutch springs and replaced them, new gasket and buttoned it up. Oil filter and crush gaskets and break flush up next.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Hope fully some progress on a long waiting CBX project.
                      VFR front and rear end, frame bracing, 29mm smoothbores....it will a nice bike when finished.
                      If i get going i will start a thread in the "Other Projects"
                      Suzuki content with the big headlight.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                        Hope fully some progress on a long waiting CBX project.
                        VFR front and rear end, frame bracing, 29mm smoothbores....it will a nice bike when finished.
                        If i get going i will start a thread in the "Other Projects"
                        Suzuki content with the big headlight.

Very Nice! Need to see a thread about this one!

Comment

Started troubleshooting after last weekend's ride. Left running great, came back with very low idle, vibration in engine, running rough. A little nervous as this is the first time the 850 has seen 9000 rpm maybe ever. Starting with compression check and new plugs, digging in to carbs (again) if I need to. Limited time, PNW rally in 4 weeks....Got new float bowl gaskets today, wanted to up pilot fuel jets to 42.5 anyway as pilot screws are 3.5+ turns out and still a bit of 3500 rpm lean surge. And why do carb problems ALWAYS happen with a full tank?
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Progress on the 41/2 Duece

My bike has been showing up real stripped down but the plan was not to leave it this way. I have finally nailed down the colors for the tank, covers, and the fenders. I hated the rear fender tail light combo and you may have noticed i moved a plate bracket and tail light to the lower left shock mount. I went to the pawn shop and found a nasty old 7/16 wrench, ground the box end down so it was much thinner and welded the open end to a loop that mounts the bracket. I love repurposing.

I kept all the body work but the bike had spent some time in the weather and the fenders had rust. But i can't bring myself to throw them away and buy new ones, so out came the grinder, dremel, Quiksteel for the spot welds, sander, 40 grit, mineral spirits, and tenacity and grit. Anyone watch Ian Roussel? He inspires me to not take the easy way.

So i hadn't posted progress in a while so I decided it was time while the filler dries.

Comment

Been fitting a NOS Yam XS left-hand switch cluster to the GS, as the original finally spat its dummy after 35 years. Sheesh, they just don't make good kit any more.
                              Anyway, realised I just couldn't be bothered to fart around marrying the remains of the self-cancelling system (a system which is also 35 years old and could fail in turn any time soon) to the switch and decided to install a simple timer and modern LED-compatible flasher unit in the circuit. Those will arrive next week or so, and complete the job.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Finally got around to making an engine stand, basically a sturdy frame on castors to sit my old CX500 motor on so its at a comfortable height to work on when I start to strip it down for a re-build. Think old age is affecting my brain as well as my back and arms though, had`nt considered how to get the engine on to it. Figured I could lift it as I`ve done that a few times many years ago, but not a chance now. All my mates are in the same boat, older physically than we think we are !. So think I`ll look into hiring an engine crane next !.
                                "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                                1978 GS750
                                1979 GS750 chop
                                1979 GS550
                                2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                                2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                                1992 XV750 Virago
                                2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Working...
                                X