No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced all front brake lines with SS. Next up: The rear line.

Comment

Workin on this little monster for resale..

Comment

This past weekend I replaced the "new" aftermarket K&L fork seal that was leaking on my 1100E. Replaced it with an OE seal & no leaks now!
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hap! I've missed your smile, buddy. Good to see you out and about.

All the best to you and yours,

Cliff
          Hey Cliff!

I trying to visit more often because I've missed too much already. I'm sorry to see several folks have passed on since I've been here and it hurts my heart.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Back at it...

Fired up the bike again and couldn't get it to sync for $hit. Pulled the carbs back off and found one of the butterflys hanging up. I think that was the one I removed so loosened the little screws and let the throttle shaft snap shut before tightening up the little screws again (with loctite). Now the butterfly was closing like it should. Threw the carbs back on and now it's running the way it should; nice steady idle and got it all synced up. I made way more work for myself than should have been but at least it's done.
            Its never ever "done" unless of course you sell it.

Congrats!! Maybe not such a big deal to you since its what, your seventh resto?
            At any rate, congratulations!
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
              Its never ever "done" unless of course you sell it.

Congrats!! Maybe not such a big deal to you since its what, your seventh resto?
              At any rate, congratulations!
              One tidbit I forgot to add to my story is finding spilled mercury from the sync gauge on the garage floor. How dangerous is mercury anyway? Scooped up most of it and will dump it back into the gauge reservoir but I guess the alley will get any remnants.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Mercury is a neuro toxin..very harmfull to central nervous system. hat makers used mercury to cure the felts and hides used to make hats back in the 1600s thru 1800s.. the exposure lead them to go basucally insane at the time..thus giving rise to the phrase "MAD AS A HATTER" You wanna use latex gloves when handling and never breathe any vapors or fumes. Does this addiquately answer the question? And dont you dare dump it in the alley either!! Take it to your local hazmat team and let them deal with it properly.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                  Mercury is a neuro toxin..very harmfull to central nervous system. hat makers used mercury to cure the felts and hides used to make hats back in the 1600s thru 1800s.. the exposure lead them to go basucally insane at the time..thus giving rise to the phrase "MAD AS A HATTER" You wanna use latex gloves when handling and never breathe any vapors or fumes. Does this addiquately answer the question? And dont you dare dump it in the alley either!! Take it to your local hazmat team and let them deal with it properly.
                  Chuck,
                  I'm referring to particulates too small to even recognize as mercury. There was a scattering of mercury on the ground which I swept up in a dust pan, in among the other dirt on the floor. Tilting the pan round caused the particles to roll around and join together until I had a puddle roughly the size of a dime, only thicker, which is going back into the sync gauge reservoir. I'm assuming there are various microscopic pieces lurking about on the garage floor so that's what I was referring to when talking about sweeping it out into the alley.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Chuck,
                    I'm referring to particulates too small to even recognize as mercury. There was a scattering of mercury on the ground which I swept up in a dust pan, in among the other dirt on the floor. Tilting the pan round caused the particles to roll around and joint together until I had a puddle roughly the size of a dime, only thicker, which is going back into the sync gauge reservoir. I'm assuming there are various microscopic pieces lurking about on the garage floor so that's what I was referring to when talking about sweeping it out into the alley.
                    My suggestion is do not lick the floor.

Hap

Comment

changed my main jets from 107.5 to 115s.

Better

Comment

Ingesting mercury is very bad. as is breathing its vapors. Fortunately, its vapor pressure is extremely low. Unless you work in a confined space, poor ventilation, with heated mercury, there is no problem. All sorts of people are insanely scared of mercury. Don't go nuts over it.

If you can find big globs of mercury and somehow coax them back into your synchronizer, do so. It is the safest place for them. Use latex gloves, as previously recommended.

For the garage floor, use a small amount of sawdust or oil dry to pick it up. Bag it, label the bag, and take it to the hazmat place. Estimate the total amount that you collect.
                        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I dont know how much it will take to make you twitch and slurr your speach but i am not gonna be the guy that does the experiment on myself..i like the dry sweep and bad it to the hazmat people idea!!!
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I spent parts of the past two days making brackets for Krauser luggage setup. As I'm a putterer, rather than a machinist, this involved a bit of cutting, a bit of grinding, eye-balling hole locations, drilling holes (easy with drill press recently acquired), a bit of banging and bending, more grinding, more banging.....into the house for a cold one.....I think I've got them lined up pretty good, now...next step is to to disassemble to paint brackets.

My new Dyna coils are at the postal depot, I hear, but cannot get them until tomorrow...might get this lump ('80 850) back on the road by this weekend.....

Found a buyer for my little DT250, so a bit of poofing and tightening before I deliver it to him in the West Kootenays....he's paying me a bit extra to deliver....8 hours round trip from Kelowna.

Comment

One tidbit I forgot to add to my story is finding spilled mercury from the sync gauge on the garage floor. How dangerous is mercury anyway? Scooped up most of it and will dump it back into the gauge reservoir but I guess the alley will get any remnants.
                              Ed, if you develop a third eye in the middle of your forehead ya might want to have it checked out...

Comment

In the 60s before mercury became poisonous, we used to rub it on silver coins (remember them?) to make them shiny again.

Comment

Working...
                                X