what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
    That photo was taken just before I took the sump off to install a casing bolt the previous "mechanic" had missed. It's not a bolt hole just a lug in the sump casing. Maybe to hold the motor up when they build them.
    And maybe that's all the crimp in the frame is too; somewhere to grip it on the assembly line. The kickstand lug would do that on the other side.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      And maybe that's all the crimp in the frame is too; somewhere to grip it on the assembly line. The kickstand lug would do that on the other side.
      I've had people suggest it was for the original exhaust clearance, but I replied why isn't it on the other side as well. I feel it would apply with your suggestion, why didn't the 750 and 1100's have it as well?

Comment

Originally posted by sinkankan View Post
        I've had people suggest it was for the original exhaust clearance, but I replied why isn't it on the other side as well. I feel it would apply with your suggestion, why didn't the 750 and 1100's have it as well?
        Not having one handy I can't say for sure, but maybe their frames have enough clearance on the RH side for a conventional clamp.
        ---- Dave
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          I've been spoiled by my shaft drive 1100G, but now I had to relearn about drive chain maintenance, for my 750.
          I used some Kawi sport bike lube a few years ago, but it was so invisible I went to using gear oil.
          Gear oil splatters all over the back wheel, then the spots collect dirt, real shabby looking.
          Now I'm back to chain oil, just cleaned the chain with kerosine then sprayed it.
          Looks good, lots of clean steel shows, and I got it at the min. slack.
          I also went from shaft back to chain. Based on Web Bike World recommendations, I'm trying DuPont chain cleaning and lubrication products. They sell small cans of the lubricant that are the right size for trips. Only time will tell. Chain lubrication seems a little bit like religion. What we pick is based on faith as much as on reason. And whatever the decision, it seems to work out in the end.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            Your reasoning is plausible, but who knows how many revisions happened during design development. Plus manufacturing assembly is anther branch of engineering with revisions too.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Lot's of filler, filler primer, primer, wet sanding. Rince and repeat

Comment

Pulled and cleaned the carb on a 2000 TTR125, reinstalled it and been riding it allllll day.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I washed two of my bikes today. That just feels unnatural, but the ZRX is too pretty to leave dirty. Changed the oil & filter, cleaned & lubed the chain.

The 1000 got the gear oil changed and the wheels put back on with new Road Riders. The MDI shocks are just on loose, waiting for the new shocks to arrive. I didn't spend enough last time; this time I maybe spent too much. At least I won't feel the regret every time I hit a bump. I can shift my attention to complaining about the front end full time.

I kinda like that the garage smells like gear oil.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Gear oil smell......one of my most disliked automotive related smells. At least the stuff that came out of my cars/trucks years ago....
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I think it's the sulphurous compounds that make it stink like cabbage and garlic farts.
                      ---- Dave

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Ok I has my 13 year old shoot the S on this one and when he goes on vacation I will fix it and redo it LOL
                            Attached Files

Comment

My recently acquired Skill band saw is old enough to have been made in the USA. Yesterday I adjusted the guide blocks and the bearings behind the blade. The blade runs true now, but it cuts very slowly and bogs down with any pressure. I need a new blade to test it. 62" blades are a bit rare. Lowes and Home Depot seem to only carry Vermont American, which reviewers hate. I might need to go to Amazon to buy an Olson, which reviewers like.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Pulled the GK out to synch the carbs & set the idle mixture, as a final spring maintenace step.

When I setup my tuning tank, I saw a gas dribbling down between the #3&4 carbs. It seems the fuel tube O-rings dried up over the winter.
                                Loews came to my rescue! They had a little package of #5 O-rings for $2.49 Those babies did the trick! I thanked Jesus for that bit of good luck!

After that, I put the gas tank back on & washed up the bike, to clean off a winter's worth of dust & saw dust from the shed.

I still have to change a leaky clutch cover gasket, but that's an easy one.

Comment

Working...
                                X