No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldered my RR connections and tidied up the wiring. pulled the G out of the shop and washed the floor.
    Played with editing some GoPro footage.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by LarryJ View Post
      Pulled the GK out to synch the carbs & set the idle mixture, as a final spring maintenace step.

When I setup my tuning tank, I saw a gas dribbling down between the #3&4 carbs. It seems the fuel tube O-rings dried up over the winter.
      Loews came to my rescue! They had a little package of #5 O-rings for $2.49 Those babies did the trick! I thanked Jesus for that bit of good luck!
      Unless the Lowes O-rigns are made of nitrile rubber, they will deteriorate when exposed to gas. Do yourself a favor and order replacements now. Nitrile, fluorocarbon rubber (most commonly seen trademark is Viton) and several others will work. On-line vendors tell what they are good for. Ace Hardware can probably do the same thing.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Can you get the o-rings from Robert Barr? He usually sends them out pretty quick
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

McMaster-Carr sells O-rings of all types, and delivers quickly to individuals.
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Believe it or not Harbor Freight nitrile O rings work well, and you get a bunch of em.

V
            Gustov
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            80 GS 550 L
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Fitted an AGM battery to the XS650 - since it has no starter motor, I reasoned a much smaller battery would be fine and since I fancied an AGM, I decided to try something out. I trial-fitted an alarm system battery of 7Ah, which might (or might not) live happily with the charging system of the bike. I wait to see how it pans out.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post

I kinda like that the garage smells like gear oil.
                Better than the smell of Carb Dip...
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

My garage always smells like carb dip. Kind of like moth balls.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Fixed the lawn tractor and split half cord of wood then stacked it.

V
                    Gustov
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    80 GS 550 L
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Made new straps for the battery carriers on the GS and XS

1" wide strip of 19" inner tube and some galvanised 1/8" fence wire.

GS...

XS...

---- Dave
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        Made new straps for the battery carriers on the GS and XS

1" wide strip of 19" inner tube and some galvanised 1/8" fence wire.

GS...

XS...
                        Good idea. Never considered fabing one.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Installed Mojoblocks on my Harbor Freight tire changer. I keep saying that when this thing wears out or breaks, I'll buy a No-Mar but after 18 years and I don't know how many tire changes, this cheap piece of crap just won't wear out!!!
                          Attached Files
                          1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                          sigpic
                          My GS550 Build

Comment

Fitted the air filters, checked things over and fired up the Yamathing.

It feels small compared to what I've been used to, but goes well enough

Still got a few things to do, but now it's a rolling repair, and no longer a workshop queen.
                            ---- Dave

Comment

Ireland is pretty in the spring

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                                Ireland is pretty in the spring

It's always beautiful. Bike's looking good to Grimly!
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g
                                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                                X