Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did I work on? Girl got new rubber

Comment

Pulled the pistons and crankshaft out of the car engine so now to find a machine shop to look at the block for any cracks
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Coil Relay mod and the $1 throttle mod. Heading out for a 45 minute ride to my brother's house shortly. Will see how it all feels with these 2 changes.

Comment

Painted first coat of the One True Colour onto the spare front wheel.
          Then sat and scratched my chin, while pondering the Large Orange Box and what I'll do about it.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

The Large Orange Box...

Inside the box...

Needs work.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

A garage without tunes is......less enjoyable. The old Motorola stopped playing last night and I figured it was the phono plug that connects the electronic du jour ( cd player, I pod, phone, etc). Turns out it was a bad cord. It got a dusting off anyway...I love the smell of hot tubes cooking dust....

Ooooooh, it glows......

http://
              Attached Files
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I've noticed recently that my bike leans more than normal when on the sidestand. I took a look. The bolt was backing out. Removed everything and checked it out- the hole is also elongated, but all else is ok. Greased and re assembled.

For future wrenching, my birthday present came today-20150806_215508.jpg brand new clutch hub from e bay - a proper 1150 piece unlike the worn one i found installed over the winter. ...60 bucks.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

i pulled apart the carbs on my 83 550es, only to discover the p.o. had replaced one of the idle needle o-rings with a hunk of rubber with a hole poked through it, and had a cut off pen spring in there to boot! Replaced with proper o-ring, backing washer and spring, reset the idle, all is good.

Just made a pretty big order from bikebandit in preperation for more wrenching. Progressive springs for the 550 are on closeout, so I figured I should grab a set before they are unobtainable, and some new jets so I can finally dial things in, and some fork seals, and more jets, and a half dozen other items to round the order out.

Now I just need to find my spare helmet lock...Maybe it is hiding behind the couch with Elvis...

Comment

With a name like Macgyver you should appreciate the carb "fix" from the previous owner. lol.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                      I've noticed recently that my bike leans more than normal when on the sidestand. I took a look. The bolt was backing out. Removed everything and checked it out- the hole is also elongated, but all else is ok. Greased and re assembled.

For future wrenching, my birthday present came today-[ATTACH=CONFIG]41353[/ATTACH] brand new clutch hub from e bay - a proper 1150 piece unlike the worn one i found installed over the winter. ...60 bucks.
                      Eggcellent

Comment

Put new clutch disks in the Bandit. I can't complain. It was still on the original clutch linings at 74K miles. heh eh
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          Eggcellent
                          Ha, as of late my older son loves cracking egg jokes....
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Drained and refilled the forks. The feeler gauge trick tkent (thanks) spoke of seems to be working and the leak stopped so I can defer going thru the forks until the winter. Then I excitedly began the process of installing my new clutch hub........then the piano wire that holds the first steel plate in place broke while removing it from the old hub. Probably better to replace it anyway, but im still a little bummed out......

Also, I checked the brakes on the family car. One rear brake pad is metal on metal...no sqealing signs of imminent replacement needed...yesterday it was fine...today grinding.....
                            sigpic

Glen
                            -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

About two months ago, my 1995 Mazda's brake warning light came on. I knew that it was from misadjustment of the parking brake handle position sensor, so I ignored it. I even ignored it when I seemed to lose brakes a month later, because they came back, and the fluid level seemed OK. Too much trouble to take things apart and adjust the switch.

Wednesday, Rock Auto's on-line monthly customer newsletter arrived. Their customer letter on "How I Fixed It" was from someone with a old Mazda who knew that that his brake warning light was on because of a misadjusted parking brake sensor. Only when he got around to adjusting it, several times, it wasn't the sensor. It was brake fluid level.

So yesterday I topped off the brake fluid, and the warning light no longer activates.

Duh.
                              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                                Drained and refilled the forks. The feeler gauge trick tkent (thanks) spoke of seems to be working and the leak stopped so I can defer going thru the forks until the winter. Then I excitedly began the process of installing my new clutch hub........then the piano wire that holds the first steel plate in place broke while removing it from the old hub. Probably better to replace it anyway, but im still a little bummed out......
                                Not that you should do this…. But I haven't run the piano wire in my bike for over 25 yrs with ZERO problems, I was told to remove it by a old GS mechanic, he said they were more a pain than they were worth.
                                I still don't know there purpose??? I think it had to do with rattling plates or something like that

Comment

Working...
                                X