• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
    Ray, there is a guy near me with a DB1.
    A gorgeous bike and tiny.
    Have you ever weighed your beauty?
    Disregard if i have asked this previously.
    Never weighed it. Purportedly something like 395lb. full wet. I'm hoping I can get it down to ~380lb. and get the horsepower up to 75-80.

Comment

Gave Buell quick oil change and filter service. Checked wheel bearings. Ready for adventure weekend trip on the first weekend of September!

Comment

Adjusted the handlebar position on the bike a bit.
        Later wiled away some time goofing around and cleaning leaked oil and premix fuel residue from the scoot. It really is a study in miniature compared to the GS.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by dorkburger; 08-23-2015, 01:19 AM.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The weather's warming up a bit so i'm getting a bit busier...Friday saw a set of Kawasaki 400 rods go in for shot peening after cleaning up the forging flash and weight matching, plus a set of Laverda triple inlet stubs in for welding - very poor design and materials, they crack...plus a set of GS1000 wisecos in to have the valve cutaways moved. Found this out the hard way with APE big valves...
          Saturday, a friend turned up with his 350 AJS trials bike. Swingarm bushes to do, footrests to remount as they're different heights and one's well forward of the other...And he wants a set of Honda TL200 wheels put in....
          He also had a Rickman Metisse motocrosser with a 500 Triumph motor on the trailer, now the timing has been set correctly it fires first kick. He's big enough to race it easily in VMX.
          Tried to post a pic but the site doesn't like me now....
          Last edited by GregT; 08-23-2015, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Had my main power wire pull lose last night on my 1150, when I changed the regulator I put new connections on them and then wire tied them a bit short I guess, when I turned the bars it pulled out, luckily I was in the driveway and I am surprised it didn't happen sooner I have put a bunch of miles on it!
            Took the tank off, put it on my work bench, found the problem fixed it.
            Then my daughter came home from work about 11pm and said the garage smelled like gas
            I had bumped the pingle petcocks lever just slightly setting it down so it slowly leaked a couple gallons of gas all over! Ruined my Kawi H2 manual, stunk like crazy, just painfully stupid

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Adjusted the handlebar position on the bike a bit.
              Later wiled away some time goofing around and cleaning leaked oil and premix fuel residue from the scoot. It really is a study in miniature compared to the GS.
              All that rust is just ugly and depressing.
              Because it's such a small thing, I'm surprised you haven't wire brushed all the rust off and done some paint touch ups.
              That would make for a satisfying couple hours.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Joe, that stinks.. literally. About a year ago, my son was goofing around with the scooter, which was in the garage. He turned the gas on without me knowing. A couple of hours later I went into the garage to find a heavy smell of gas. Luckily I had one of those plastic trays intended for dirty boots under it. It was literally filled to the rim with fuel.

Bill, the scooter has been on the back burner for years pending my obtaining a title to legalize it......its only been 20 plus years ... In truth, if its ever legal, resto work will mostly be mechanical in nature, with the exception of having the seat redone, and painting the wheels and replacing the tires. As a fan of genuine patina, I love the fact that the scooter has it for miles, plus it still has remnants of its original decals, and a couple of labels that appear to be printed and or painted directly onto it, which I would not want to lose. Due to its simplistic nature, I do find it very enjoyable to tinker with.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

The XJ900...
                  Took out the headlight to locate a connection point for a voltmeter and glad I did, for about half of the connections in there were sorely in need of a clean and re-set. The PO had kept the bike very standard, so no complaints there, but the march of time had led to the inevitable crop of connector resistances that were higher than they should be. Cleaned and gapped the plugs - unusually, it uses resistance plug caps and resistance plugs, so I'm unsure if it actually needs both. More investigation needed.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    Joe, that stinks.. literally. About a year ago, my son was goofing around with the scooter, which was in the garage. He turned the gas on without me knowing. A couple of hours later I went into the garage to find a heavy smell of gas. Luckily I had one of those plastic trays intended for dirty boots under it. It was literally filled to the rim with fuel.

Bill, the scooter has been on the back burner for years pending my obtaining a title to legalize it......its only been 20 plus years ... In truth, if its ever legal, resto work will mostly be mechanical in nature, with the exception of having the seat redone, and painting the wheels and replacing the tires. As a fan of genuine patina, I love the fact that the scooter has it for miles, plus it still has remnants of its original decals, and a couple of labels that appear to be printed and or painted directly onto it, which I would not want to lose. Due to its simplistic nature, I do find it very enjoyable to tinker with.
                    It still stinks!!
                    The only good part is I changed the fluid in the H2 tranny so now its mixed with gear oil smell and my wife grew up in the diesel truck industry and the smell of EP modifiers reminds her of growing up and the old shop her Father and her ran!

And I want a scooter bad… A customer of ours has an old vespa in very good shape hasn't run in many years Im trying to cut a deal!

Comment

I bought that scooter having no idea how long i would keep it or how much fun it would be. At the time it was just too old and cool not to buy. I think I paid $150 for it. I also had no idea how rare it is- parts for it are so few that it makes Cooley mirrors look commonplace. Thankfully its mostly complete, only needing a taillight and speedometer drive.
                      sigpic

Glen
                      -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

One of these...

---- Dave
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Well, that was the oddest thing.
                          Fitted a new front tyre to the XJ, and took the opportunity to fit a set of fork gaiters. On dropping the second leg (LH) I tested it for springiness and it was a helluvalot stiffer than the RH one. Took them both apart, compared internals, put them back together and they're absolutely identical now.
                          I don't know what was going on there - possibly an air lock, leading to a load of trapped air under the oil, expressing itself by being an extra spring. I made sure to work each leg up and down after filling, to dispel any air this time around.
                          Last edited by Grimly; 08-29-2015, 07:34 PM.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

Getting the 1976 GL 1000 Goldwing that Stahlgrau333 ( Matt ) picked up gone thru and making road safe. Today was change the clutch cable out, use the spoons to put new rubber on the front ( back tire is already new..the PO just hadnt mount the front yet ), got a disconnected wire in the starter button assembly resoldered and verified the button works. Got the tank scrubbed out nice and shiney and heavily coated with WD 40 till its ready to ride.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Power window motor on a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis. I hate drilling out rivets. Going to install a new set of grips on the RF 900 sometime this weekend.

Comment

Front brakes on Matts 76 GL1000 are rebuilt. Rear caliper needs twp new pistons. Parts ordered. Now to switch attention to getting the schitty Harley mufflers off the bike and getting the stock muffler remounted.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X