No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new head gasket for the water contaminated GSXR1000 turned up on Saturday so it was finish the wash and assemble the top end. I'd already gone through the lower and assembled to the head gasket joint. The frost plugs simply drove back in to a machined shoulder in the head bores, nice fit so should be ok.
    Hardest part of the whole thing was cleaning out the hollow cams. Pressure wash for several minutes until what was coming out was clean...then squirt oil into them. Oil is fed in at the camchain end to lube the several bearings along the cam, seems to work OK...

Got most of the AJS trials bike done. New swingarm bushes machined up from phosphor bronze, pressed in and honed to size. Had to clean up one end of the pivot pin, usual corrosion...machined it about .010in smaller and made the bush on that side to suit. No grease nipples...assembled it with lashings of Moly assembly lube. It's tight now, but not for very long...
    Made up new footrest mount plates,remounted footrests somewhat lower - and level...And aligned side to side too. RHS had been 2 1/2in higher and forward of the LHS...Had to add a mount on the LHS subframe to tidy it all up.
    Talked the owner out of changing wheels. The Greeves rear and Kawasaki KT250 front are better quality than the TL200 Honda hubs. He says the rear brake's not good - I'll have to have a look at it, see if it can be better.
    Weather has been getting colder again...lack of enthusiasm when it's cold. First day of Spring tomorrow, ha.
    Last edited by GregT; 08-31-2015, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Preparation......
      I have a long weekend planned in a few weeks. After last years flat, I'll be carrying the plug kit I purchased mid trip. Not having total trust in the CO2 canisters, I took a non working car jump start / tire inflator kit hanging around the garage, stripped out the compressor, extended the wires, and added alligator clips to connect to the battery if the need arises. Hopefully it won't.
      20150831_201048.jpg
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I did the exact same thing to one of my old tire inflaters. Added a bit of oil down the piston too, seemed dry.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

We must think alike. As soon as I saw the exposed cylinder, I gave it a shot of oil.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I dropped a set of progressive spring in the forks on my 550 ES.
            Wow, I am very happy with the results.

Took 30+ years of sag out of the suspension, and it feels better than my buddy's 2014 cbr now.

Comment

I did a project on the old Red Truck ('84 Ford F250 4X4, 6.9 diesel) that I've put off for a few too many years to correct a problem of air intrusion into the low pressure side of the fuel system. The truck doesn't get used much anymore and when sitting the fuel will siphon back into tank and would take forever grinding away on the starter before the wimpy and probably close to expiring original mechanical fuel pump would get fuel to the injector pump. So I spent the day under the truck and plumbed in an electric fuel pump at the tanks all the way through to the Racor filter/separator and on to the factory fuel filter. No more fuel priming problems, WooHoo. Now I just have pull the old pump and put in block off plate.
              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I got the 550's carbs rebuilt and reinstalled. Everything sealed up and have no more leaks. Yay, no gas dripping anywhere.
                Unfortunately, now I have a no spark issue to deal with and my right blinker is staying lit up. We will see what comes of it.

Comment

Spent the afternoon yesterday stripping the front legs off the 80 GS. New head bearings, forks, mudguard (GS1100ES) to go on.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Re-assembled the motor. New head and base gaskets, stem seals, intake o-rings and a sh775 r/r. Looking good after 30 brisk miles. Still have a few small leaks at the oil pressure switch, clutch shaft seal and just below the oil window.
                    I need a bike lift to stop my glasses falling off.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous
                    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

First time in 25 years the underside of the instrument cluster has been exposed to fresh air.
                      DSC_0004.jpg
                      Last edited by Grimly; 09-16-2015, 10:24 PM.
                      ---- Dave
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Love the shiny new red jack stands Grimly!

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
                          Love the shiny new red jack stands Grimly!
                          A pair of cheapy folding stands I certainly wouldn't trust my life to if they were holding up a car, but being shorter than the other ones, are perfect for holding up the lower frame tube.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

Looks more like No. 5 than a bike. Gonna need higher ones to keep the glasses on
                            Did the matching pliers come free with them ?
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The old head bearings. These had survived fine until two years ago when a MASSIVE POTHOLE took out the rear shocks; following that, there was a slight notchiness started to creep in. I am amazed there was no immediate front end damage, but these things are built like tanks.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

Did the timing retard mod, the lever like tfb did on his Kat, http://www.theflyingbanana.com/starterclutch.htm

Starts super per smooth with no clang what so ever from the starter clutch. I still use to get some with the kill switch mod.

started repairing the ESD wiring harness with new connectors, pins and wire to match factory set-up but will be incorporating relay mods also. Started wrapping the repaired areas with the dry vinyl tape.
                                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
                                X