what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NM Connection

Preventative Maintenance (PM). Good stuff Bill. Time does fly....miss riding in NM with ya!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      Preventative Maintenance (PM). Good stuff Bill. Time does fly....miss riding in NM with ya!

Ed
      Going to Aspen Fest this weekend, we are meeting at the Kmart parking lot, can you make it by Sat at 7am?? lol
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Converted 2 Moto Guzzis integrated brakes to the normal setup, twin discs run off the front master and a single disc run off the rear master. Nothing wrong with integrated brakes, just cleaning things up and getting rid of as much complication as possible. Also put a Yamaha venture seat on my 850G. Old seat is getting rough and the Yamaha seat fits pretty well (made mounts), is cushier, and lowers my seat height an inch. I am short and the 850 is top heavy, so I didn't have to think too hard about it. Sealed an RD350 gas tank with Red-Kote.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          Also put a Yamaha venture seat on my 850G. Old seat is getting rough and the Yamaha seat fits pretty well (made mounts), is cushier, and lowers my seat height an inch. I am short and the 850 is top heavy, so I didn't have to think too hard about it..
          Really? What Venture model is the donor?
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Started making a shrinking stump. Went on metal shaping course in July and excited to start practicing!

Hard job, still loads to do:

Getting a smallish table top laser cut (various compound curves) and going to make my own hammers. ��

Comment

I had to look up shrinking stump.
              What sort of metal items are you hoping to make? Anything motorcycle related?
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Well, it's not what I did today but rather what I've been doing for the last 3 weeks. I've been moving one of our retail stores from one location in a regional mall to a new location within the same mall. Had to move from the old store to a kiosk and then from the kiosk to the new location while building out the new location. New business license, new certificate of occupancy, fire inspections... Major pain in the butt but it's done now.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I hope so Steve.

I went on the course (2nd time) where the guy teaches you all the basics. And the cool part is, the emphasis is on using hand tools and inexpensive techniques. So basically you don't need fancy, expensive machinery.

Wanted to get into it for a while, now I'm taking action.

First I just want to master techniques and see where it leads to.

Comment

Is that you, taking a break on the couch?
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                      I hope so Steve.

I went on the course (2nd time) where the guy teaches you all the basics. And the cool part is, the emphasis is on using hand tools and inexpensive techniques. So basically you don't need fancy, expensive machinery.

Wanted to get into it for a while, now I'm taking action.

First I just want to master techniques and see where it leads to.
                      There is nothing quite like bashing metal into something that never existed before.

Here's something to tickle your fancy.
                      Introduction of Shinkansen 3D sheet metal forming by craftsman at Yamashita Kogyosho, Kudamatsu, Japan.Filmed by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan 1999. Mor...
                      Last edited by Grimly; 09-19-2015, 07:54 PM.
                      ---- Dave
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

That's awesome Wally, would love to learn that too! I love makin' bits and pieces for the 450 although that's pretty much done and dusted now... I like aluminium as it's so easy to work with but there are applications where vibration and flexing just makes it too impractical.
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Agreed Grimly!

Pete, it is immensely satisfying to make something out of flat metal with basic hand tools!

Did this potential fender shape with compound curves in few hours - no english wheel used!

These are the hammers I'm making next:

Simple pipe fittings with wooden handle and plastic heads.

Guy who built my exhaust is going to shape plastic heads on his lathe to get them smooth and precise.

Certain grades aluminium has additives that hardens as you work with them.
                          Guy showed us an example of how wrong grade became so hard, he couldn't finish a fender he was reproducing!
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Stopped a leak on the tensioner lockscrew. I think the correct o ring is 6x1.8 mm. A 6x2 will not go in. For the moment there is a 5x2 doing the job until I can get the correct size.
                            Fixed another at the clutch rod. Shop didn't have the 22x12x9 so I settled for a 22x12x7.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Rough-fitted the first of the Hawg-Pirate-FLDHESPTLDDWRKNSQ mufflers to the XJ. Happily enough, the front pipe of the old muffler made a perfect cut-off packing piece to adapt the 38mm outlet pipe to the 1.75" Harldog can.
                              It doesn't look too bad, actually.
                              ---- Dave

Comment

DSC_0002.jpg

---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X