No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a little tube out of PVC to stuff some unsightly wiring in. Haven't got the wiring in it yet, bolted it on to see how it looks.

Comment

Installed my Tarozzi rearsets yesterday. Looks great; work perfectly.

Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Spooned my first successful tire today. Put a new Kena 270 on the back of my DR600 I've got a good guy that will do tires for $20 but I've always wanted to learn how and I need to know for dirt riding trips. Sure helped that I had an 16" spoon instead of just the 10" ones.
        azr, if you want some strong tire irons, have a look in Princess Auto in the pry bar section...you will HAVE to grind them down at the ends. They are pretty blunt and thick the way they come, but very strong and 16" long.
        http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/16-in-flat-pry-bar/A-p8277311e

However, I see they doubled the price since I bought 3 for $4 each

oh! saw this motorcycle lift too on sale. Not something I can justify but I like to look at em
        Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-16-2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

This is the set I just bought, except I bought mine on UsedVic for $5. Great set.

Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            This is the set I just bought, except I bought mine on UsedVic for $5. Great set.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-.../dp/B000WJFF6S
            The curvy Michelin-style one is one I mean to get. I picked up an assortment of Chinese ones at the local mart, and I must say I'm surprised at the improvement in the quality since I last bought Chinese steel. These ones seem to be stamped out from bridge beams, instead of rubber trees.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I had a lovely time trying to remove the internal bar weight mounts from the ST1100 handlebars. The first one came out with a lot of lube and persuasion from a slide hammer, but the LH one just wasn't shifting. I'd doused it with penetrant from inside and out and in total it had been left for a couple of days. Today, it grudgingly started to move, but the slide hammer wasn't filling me with hope that the handlebar mounts would withstand a lot of that. I resorted to making up a jury-rigged puller, which worked well in getting it out for an inch or so, and after that, the slide hammer jerked it out cleanly.

Simply a long socket of 16 or 17mm, a 4" bit of 8mm all-thread and a nut+washer. I should have done that in the first place, would have saved a lot of grief.

Tags: ST1100 Bar end weight removal
              ---- Dave
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

GSXR1100 is getting worked on. Over the past 2 days, started a parts list, stripped most of the bodywork, pulled the forks off and sent them out to Race Tech, cleaned up the front wheel, painted it and got a new tire mounted, replaced the battery, started it for the first time to start to figure out what's wrong with the motor.

90% sure it is a rod knock. Hope to get some definitive testing done before Thanksgiving.

How it sits.

Comment

Sounds fine.... If the noise bothers you buy some earplugs... Just imagine your bike is a Suzucati...You have tinnitus from being around loud noises and the ticking is all in your head...

Comment

Don't sound like a rod to me. A rod knock should go away under load, specifically when the revs are climbing fast, and reappear in a heartbeat when the rpms start to level out. I also thought I heard the knock in your engine miss a few beats, and a rod won't do that, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by trlsrider View Post
                      Sounds fine.... If the noise bothers you buy some earplugs... Just imagine your bike is a Suzucati...You have tinnitus from being around loud noises and the ticking is all in your head...
                      Your input unfortunately doesn't qualify as helpful, although it has some potential for qualifying you to write smart ass motorcycle T-shirts.

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                      Don't sound like a rod to me. A rod knock should go away under load, specifically when the revs are climbing fast, and reappear in a heartbeat when the rpms start to level out. I also thought I heard the knock in your engine miss a few beats, and a rod won't do that, IMO.
                      Interesting you should provide this take. A buddy of mine who is a respected local mechanic and tuner happened to stop by yesterday and he too didn't believe it was a rod knock.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Comment

I listened to this on my phone, so I didn't hear very well.
                        I wouldn't say it sounds like rod knock, it sounds similar to piston slap on my phone.
                        Not full on, but more like the cylinder is ovaled or flared at the bottom of the cylinder bore.
                        It is just a guess until I can get home to my computer to have better sound quality.
                        Does the engine have loud valve tick or was that my phone.
                        The only other thing I can think it sounds like at this time is that it could be detonation, hopefully I will hear better later.

Comment

I had to give the 450 some lovin' yesterday, I think she was feeling a little neglected by the attention I'm giving to the Kat, despite the fact I ride her every day...

She'd gotten a little weepy...

Think I re-used the valve cover gasket one too many times last service...

However I did give her a present and popped the GS500 cams in at last, hopefully I'll get a test ride today and see how she runs.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working on the GSXR1100 more. Let's see if the knock is an exhaust header leak.

Hmmm, 3 missing exhaust collar bolts. Two stripped holes. Remove the exhaust. Heli coil 2 holes, replace the exhaust gaskets, remount the exhaust. Nope. Still knocking.....

I can do the rod knock test by just removing the plugs, so that's next.

Comment

Not today, but yesterday. Drained the carbs, gas tank, and pulled the battery on my wife's 850 so it doesn't sit and fester over the winter. Aired up the tires and charged the batteries on the 1100s before taking them for a blast.
                              Kevin
                              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Finally turned the corner on the front-end re-assembly of the 80 bike and came within a gnat's breath of having it running again. Probably tomorrow.
                                ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X